I hate my job

just cause the sheeple want to make up, still more, excuses to abuse others, doesn't relieve the REAL humans from their duty to pursue actual truth, rather than pretend truth (fraud)....messy as that is (specially when shlepping those sheeple on one's back)

The internet's a scary old place but, you've shown me that, at times, a beautiful place too! :p

(Was that too much?)

My homemade Egg McMuffin I ate for breakfast just tried climbing its way up out of my stomach, so, yeah, that was a bit much. :p

nah. i think the interweb has a shot at saving the world. find out what people are REALLY like as opposed to what we're TOLD they're like by people who, it turns out, only PRETEND to know, or are actually deluded enough to 'think' they know (don't know what 'knowing' is)

i'd call that 'beautiful'.

Okay folks here's the story. I quit a job I held for 5 years to do something different, because I felt like I was in a rut and not going anywhere. Now, in my new job, I find out that I hate (yes, I know, it's a strong word) the people I work for and with and don't know what to do.

My wife tells me that I ultimately won't be happy until I start my own business.

*sigh* I am going back to school though to get my bachelors and I thought I could stick it out in the place that I'm at, but it's like pulling teeth going in there every freekin' day.

Aside from the usual "Find another job" advice, do ya'll have any other?

Heya, I went through something like this when I first graduated from College. I worked through college as a tech for one of the departments. The pay was medicocre with no chance for advancement, but I got tuition reimbursement through it and it wasn't very demanding which is a huge plus while in school. After I graduated from college, I ended up getting an offer from a military contractor in the area. My job at the University had ended a year earlier as my department lost the grant I was paid with, and my wife and I had depleted most of our savings while I finished school. The Military Contractor position paid very well, had good benefits, was close to where we lived, and promised seemingly interesting research work. I ended up taking the job.

Pretty much from the first day I started working there I was miserable. I don't want to get into too many of the specifics, but the people I worked with played a part. I had a fantastic project lead (one of the nicest guys I've ever worked for), but he was so busy protecting our group from getting eaten by one of the more influential groups there that we never saw him. I wanted to quit about 4 months into it, but I decided that I was going to stick with it for at least a year. If after a year I still hated it, I'd find another job.

Well, the one year mark came, and I was still unhappy. Not as miserable as I had been, but I pretty much worked in isolation from the rest of my group and the company was not doing well. Around that time, 30 engineers and been laid off. My group still had funding so I was fairly safe at that point, but there were rumors that our funding would be decreased the following year. One day, my manager (not project lead) came in talking about having me interview with another group in the company. Before I knew it (and without my input), I was transferred. Instead of writing communication software, I'd be working on missle systems. While I was already somewhat apprehensive even working on communication software for the military, I did not want to be working on weapons.

I was already looking around at other jobs and had polished up my resume, but this was the straw that broke the camel's back. I started looking ernestly for another position, and was also considering going back to school to get my master's degree in computer science. As luck would have it, I found a position at the University of Minnesota's Super Computing Institute.

Now, I'm writing software to gather statistics from the supercomputers, and can go back to school for my Master's degree for free. The pay isn't as good as it was in Military Contracting, and will be much lower as time goes on, but I'm much happier here. I'm the project lead for several graduate students and actually have an office rather than a cubicle. People are nicer here. It's not perfect, but I don't dread coming to work. That's good enough.

Am I happy I switched jobs? Definitely. Am I happy I waited over a year to get out? I'm not sure. On one hand, my wife told me I had really changed from when I was in college. She said I didn't smile anymore ( and I was known for smiling all the time). That alone, tells me that perhaps I waited to long to get out. On the other hand, I really wanted to be sure that it was the right decision. I didn't want there to be any question (in my mind or in other people's minds) that I was bailing out just because sometimes things are tough.

Anyway, I don't know if any of this helps. I'd say you really need to figure out why you don't like it there, and what you want to gain by switching jobs. Another guy I know recently switched jobs because he was unhappy and found out that he's more miserable at his new job than he was at his old one.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck. :)

Nite_Hawk

My homemade Egg McMuffin I ate for breakfast just tried climbing its way up out of my stomach, so, yeah, that was a bit much. :p

"Taxi for slider."

nah. i think the interweb has a shot at saving the world. find out what people are REALLY like as opposed to what we're TOLD they're like by people who, it turns out, only PRETEND to know, or are actually deluded enough to 'think' they know (don't know what 'knowing' is)

i'd call that 'beautiful'.

"Hmm, drop me at the General Discussion page please driver."

If only it were that simple. "Truth" doesn't seem to exist anywhere. But I digress massively, (apologies linthat22).

so who are these people you hate? retards? crooks? liars? xtians? heathens? smokers? obese? gay? aliens? lying gay obese alien smokers?... libertarians? what?

While I don't advocate staying at a job you hate, learning how to deal with the people and circumstances you describe is an important and valuable skill. Wherever you go, you will always be confronted with these types of people and situations, in varying degrees. It even happens when you have your own business. Clients suck.

I'm in charge of security compliance for my org. on the base. Saw one of the techs getting a few workstations ready for new personnel in-processing into our building and because today was MS's patch day just off-handedly asked if he remembered to run Windows and Office Update so that Tivoli doesn't library the endpoint with vulnerabilities. He said, "what's Office update?" I cried.
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Linthat, without being too personal what is your financial situation like? Can you afford to take the time off to go back to school or are you like us and if you miss a paycheck things will go all wonky?

If you can take the time to go back to school do it, if you can't start going back while working and just stick out the shitty job until you can get one you might not hate.

I'm a big stickler for only liking jobs that I enjoy. It makes making money so much easier. :)

(I liked being a SysOp out at US Steel, it was fun. :) )

I'm trying to figure out a way to generate some income my ownself right now, if I think of anything clever I'll let ya know.

I'm a big stickler for only liking jobs that I enjoy. It makes making money so much easier.

i only like things i enjoy as well! things i like, i'll try them twice. you got that right!

aah batchelorhood! i can live for years without working (almost a decade) due to savings alone! if i don't get sued again.

I don't plan on ever getting divorced, kind of a mutual thing me and my wife agreed on going in. ;)

Glad your happy CC, but so am I. Carpe diem. :cool:

dontcha know it. i have deep appreciation for my bachelorhood! after my experiences during my 'formative' (wasted) years.

i can do what i want, when i want, how i want, as long as i want, and i don't have some pretard offering me endless theories on what's 'wrong' with me (these same people never examine THEMSELVES this way).

it's opened a LOT of doors for me.

my job (career) has settled into a competent routine (for now), i know how to keep a (cordial) distance from those im forced to associate with at work. i know im not a mainstream type (libertarian), and that the mainstream is 'threatened' by this. and there (except in san fran apparently) isn't alot of folks like me wandering the city around here. it's all i need to know. i make it clear NOBODY is licensed to 'care' about me. that's the way i like it. sure i have friends, but based on MY/our 'values' (which have nothing to do with such concepts as 'tough love' (as if), and we don't expect others to hold principles strictly that we don't practice ourselves as well). chicks are famous for that i find. onesided contracts they write in their heads.

i also don't get how chicks crow and crow about doing housework ("you owe me") i do everything myself (cooking/cleaning), and it takes very little effort to keep up. everybody has to eat!

there is a wealth of knowledge/perspective/reward for thinking for ones self, contrary to popular belief, i find. i was 'supposed' to whither and die! "you'll be sorry....by and by"....not gonna happen.

i also don't get how chicks crow and crow about doing housework ("you owe me") i do everything myself (cooking/cleaning), and it takes very little effort to keep up. everybody has to eat!
It's one thing to take care of/look after yourself, it's a whole 'nother ballgame when you're basically the support unit for three other human beings as well who not only count on you to care for 'em but they also actively dirty/destroy your house and expect you to clean/fix it. :???:

I won't even get in to cooking, no one here likes the same thing so I end up cooking three different things for each of them three times a day. (I cook my kid's lunch in the morning before school, they like noodles in a thermos.)

Then again, "not working" per se has it's advantages too so I ain't bitching. I like my life, it's good. My wife likes it too, she enjoys her job again since changing locations/shifts and the family is doing better. :)

I had my crazy days, I didn't get married until I was 29...but I don't miss those crazy days now. I guess I've changed, but this life I'm living now suits me just dandy.

(BTW-Most of the reason women file for divorce such a high percentage of the time is because the husband is unfaithful, that's a mistake I intend not to make. ;) )

You enjoy the single life, I'll wallow in domesticity....as long as we're both happy doing what we're doing I see no reason to argue. :)

freedom at it's finest. your kids are lucky im going to bet. my growing up was DICTATED (had nothing to do with who i was, it was who i was ASSIGNED to be).

spose it's not a disappointment to some. still there seem to be QUITE a number of people and sheeple in/from my 'boat'.

i disagree about the unfaithful thing. women have a way of engineering things when they want you gone. (i've seen it). positioning themselves in the 'victim' role is paramount. and men, well a LOT of us are hardwired to spread our 'seed' in as many gardens as possible (most male mammals are that way i think). it's not fair to expect perfection. especially if 'she' becomes a harpy all of a sudden...the other chicks will take on a new luster!

i disagree about the unfaithful thing. women have a way of engineering things when they want you gone. (i've seen it). positioning themselves in the 'victim' role is paramount. and men, well a LOT of us are hardwired to spread our 'seed' in as many gardens as possible (most male mammals are that way i think). it's not fair to expect perfection. especially if 'she' becomes a harpy all of a sudden...the other chicks will take on a new luster!
Fair enough, but I really think I got the exception in my Chrissy. I'm not worried about her trying to screw me over, we trust each other pretty well and we're disgustingly open with each other.

I'm not worried I guess is the long/short of it. :)

I still want a job though, I miss that "sense of self-identity" thing.

didn't realize you were between jobs till just now (haven't spent much time in general forum in a while).

i guess it's reasonable to assume there are exceptions. but hey, i gotta play with the hand im dealt, not the one i wish i had.

proof 'men' need more than 1 possible route to find 'happiness' (at least contentment)

if you're not a libertarian, you're screwed though. a self hating sheeple....nowhere to run.
I am assuming for now that you're not insinuating that one is either a libertarian (which is what you define it as being, I assume) OR a 'self hating sheeple' with no room for anything inbetween? :rolleyes:

And if he answers that question, this thread heads to RPSC.

So please don't do that to the OP, as that would be unkind.

Back