I don't yet know my blood group, Whoa!

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
I was getting my ID Card made today, they asked about my blood group and I realised that I don't know what my blood group is.

Isn't that incrediible?

:oops:

If you start to leak blood you will notice its yours anyway.
I finished military duty 6 years ago and still dont know mine( for some reason its wasnt written in my Card ).

Captain Chickenpants said:
I didn't know mine until I gave blood.
On a day to day basis you don't need to know it so why should you?

CC

If you're in an accident and need a blood transfusion, you'll need to know.

BTW, I don't know mine either. :cry:

O+
yep.gif

Type o negative :devilish:

I have no idea...
I did have some blood taken for a doctors visit but didn't see any bloodtype.
They just told me I have high cholesteral and sodiun :cool:

i learned mine first time a gave blood as well. in high school (to get out of class)...A+ (doesn't explain my grades exactly though).

i think A+ is the best blood you can have.

digitalwanderer said:
I don't think we would, O+ can take pretty much any kind of blood I think and O- is the universal donor one.
O is the universal doner (ignoring Rh antigens) and AB is the universal recipient.

Best type of blood to be, IMO, would be AB+ as you can pretty take blood from anyone. Sucks to be something like B- or especially O- as you are very limited in the types of blood you can receive.

AFAIK, the rules are:

There are three types of antigenes A, B and Rh+. You must not get blod from someone that has a antigene that you don't. Lack of A and B is denoted by 0, lack of Rh+ is denoted by Rh-.

0- has none of these antigenes, and can give to everybody.
AB+ has all, and can get from everybody.

I'm 0+, and happy with that, since I can give to 84% of all people, while I still can get from 45%. (I'm a regular donor.)

Btw, I didn't know there were bloodgroup printed on IDs. We don't have it around here.

Ah...right... forgot all about that biology stuff. Sucks if your wife is "incompatible". :(

DudeMiester said:
I'm O-. 'Tis better to give then to recieve.

Someone's in denial. :LOL:

:p

I went to donate a couple weeks ago... what is the significance of how long it takes to fill up the bag? They said it would take about 15 minutes, but I was done in just under 7 minutes.

Bigus Dickus said:
O is the universal doner (ignoring Rh antigens) and AB is the universal recipient.

Best type of blood to be, IMO, would be AB+ as you can pretty take blood from anyone. Sucks to be something like B- or especially O- as you are very limited in the types of blood you can receive.
Thanks, I never could keep it straight. :oops:

how often does the marriage license blood test rule out your marriage?

they test for some RH factor right? if you and your mate aren't opposites (or is it the same?) then your kids will be flesh eating zombies or something.

or is that now another washed up fact?

Alstrong:
It means that you saved 8 minutes. :smile:
It also means that if someone cut you, you'll bleed to death in half the time.:devilish: (OK, not realy.)

Factors that probablly makes most difference:
* If they put the needle in at a good angle (so the opening isn't obstructed).
* If you got something obstructing the blood flow higher up on your arm (like if you've rolled up the arm of a sweater).
* Diameter of the vein they hit (flow at given pressure diff ~ diameter^4).

I don't know how much things like blood pressure, and how thick your blood is affect it.

I haven't measured exactly how long it takes for me, but I've got the feeling that it varies a lot from time to time. It usually takes quite short time, but it has happened that they got me a sponge thingy to squeeze to help the flow. And once they even stoped it after half a bag because it was too slow. (But before they did that, they tried to reposition the needle, and probably cut the other side of the vein. Gave me a big bruice. :devilish:)

Btw, they've made it quite convienient to give blood around here. The hospital have have a specially equipped "blood bus" with 5 donor seats that they drive around the county and park where there are many prospective donors. One of their spots is just 100m outside my work.

Basic said:
I haven't measured exactly how long it takes for me, but I've got the feeling that it varies a lot from time to time. It usually takes quite short time, but it has happened that they got me a sponge thingy to squeeze to help the flow. And once they even stoped it after half a bag because it was too slow. (But before they did that, they tried to reposition the needle, and probably cut the other side of the vein. Gave me a big bruice. :devilish:)

Btw, they've made it quite convienient to give blood around here. The hospital have have a specially equipped "blood bus" with 5 donor seats that they drive around the county and park where there are many prospective donors. One of their spots is just 100m outside my work.

I have been given a ball to play with (no sniggering!) to speed up the flow once or twice.

We also get a Blood Mobile about 100m away every 6 months. It tends to get quite a lot of custom from our company, it is probably the free tea and biscuits that does it :)

CC

Back