Human/Machine Integration

Druga Runda

Sleepy Substitute
Regular
While I was on that holiday in Japan, with some luck one evening I saw a program where there was a successfull project to "remote guide" a rat!!!

They put some gizmo on its head and teh researcher could lead it though the maze as they saw fit with a remote. Possible apps here are in war/rescue missions IIRC the remote had "left and right" buttons and as the dude would press them a few times the rat followed,:oops:

Anyhow on the same program there was a successful test made for people to be able to move artificial limbs with thoughts after some training, and similar.

The last point was a discussion (this was all in English btw :D ) of the near future where dependable on governmental regulations, a market for "enhancements" could be created where those enancements could really improve our abilities. I personally was not aware that we came so far at this point in time, but this step is really impressive and scary at the same time. Looks like a step closer to Deus Ex... anyhow what do you think how far should this human/machine integration go? Just helping injured/disabled people replace limbs functions that they have lost, or go all the way and allow healthy humans to "enhance themselves"?

Poor rat. It may be thinking "It is god who guides me!" Little does it know...

Sounds cool though. I never liked the idea of neural augmentation, but I am all for a bionic body. Leave the brain alone and hook it up to a better machine. Not that the human body isn't impressive, but that's reason enough to want more.

"I think I'll put on my torque-arms today in case I want to throw around the ol' pigskin...at 200 miles per hour or so! :cool:"

Back