How well do you think the DS will do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far we've only seen mechanical corridor environments in MPH which should be dark like MP on GCN. Hopefully the demo that comes packaged with the NDS will have other types of levels like open ceilings and organics.

True, which is why I say we'll have to reserve judgement for the shipping product. Hopefully Coded Arms will show more variation of environment as well.

You know why nintendo didn't obliterate MS this gen? IMO it was due to bad h/w design. If it'd been a shiny slot-loading black/blue techno-futuristic cube with blue leds, and a stylish controller to boot, MS would be in a distant third right now...

That is they dropped the ball big time, a freaking toyish purple cube with a handle? WTF?!? I mean WTF?!?

It now seems they didn't learn their lesson, and have now released the DS, at least it ain't as bad as last time, but it's still a bad design... Unless one of its application turns out to be highly enticing, it's not going to sell too good. That is I expect word of mouth to be the deciding factor for it.

PSP on the other hand is quite stylish and sexy looking, it's guaranteed to sell as long as the price is right, and the battery offers some decent play time.

IMHO, if no killer-app(not necessarily out of this world, just really popular, something that catches on ala gta) is present for DS, and if psp doesn't suffer any shortages and the price ain't outrageous... PSP will outsell the DS.

zidane1strife said:
IMHO, if no killer-app(not necessarily out of this world, just really popular, something that catches on ala gta) is present for DS, and if psp doesn't suffer any shortages and the price ain't outrageous... PSP will outsell the DS.
Wow those are some pretty big IFs (of which two can very likely be scratched from your list already) :D Not in this world is PSP gonna outsell DS. SONY should be lucky if they grab 20% market share and get a foot in the handheld market ... real battle is gonna be PSP+ vs. GBA2.

zidane1strife said:
It now seems they didn't learn their lesson, and have now released the DS, at least it ain't as bad as last time, but it's still a bad design... Unless one of its application turns out to be highly enticing, it's not going to sell too good. That is I expect word of mouth to be the deciding factor for it.

The final design of DS was changed to the current GBASP-esque "cooler" version from GBA-ish plastic design. If it's not enough, here's more to add to teh sex:

ds_ad_1.jpg

ds_ad_2.jpg

HOW TO SCORE
Ready to take your game to the next level?
Start listening to her needs, playa!

What She Wants
If you want to make her happy, just read between the lines-Nintendo DS will show you the way.

She says... "Two is always better than one."
DS Delivers Dual Screens. Get in on twice the action with two backlit color LCD screens that produce amazing 3d graphics.

She says... "I love a man with a soft, sensitive touch."
DS Delivers Touch-Screen Technology. Use the included stylus or even your finger to manipulate games in ways you never imagined. (Select games only.)

She says... "If you listen, I'll tell you what I like."
DS Delivers Voice-Recognition Capabilities. Talk to a game and have it do your bidding. It's possible with the built-in microphone. (Select games only.)

She says... "It doesn't matter if you're young or old."
DS Delivers Backward Compatibility. Play Nintendo DS games or your favorite Game Boy Advance games. Old school? New school? Your call.

She says... "I want to feel a connection even when we're apart."
DS Delivers Wireless Gaming. Kick the sorry butts of up to 16 people at a time with local wireless, and even more with WiFi ...no strings attached. (Select games only.)

She says... "Believe it or not, sometimes smaller is better!"
DS Delivers Compact Size. All these features are packed into a machine you can take anywhere, so you're always ready to get your game on... anytime, anyplace.

Nintendo DS

Enter to win a Nintendo DS!
Enter for a chance to win a Nintendo DS for you and two of your friends... so you can play on the flight to Fantasy Island, Dennis Publishing's biggest party of the year! Go to StuffMagazine.com/nintendo for official rules and your chance to win!

zidane1strife said:
You know why nintendo didn't obliterate MS this gen? IMO it was due to bad h/w design. If it'd been a shiny slot-loading black/blue techno-futuristic cube with blue leds, and a stylish controller to boot, MS would be in a distant third right now...

That is they dropped the ball big time, a freaking toyish purple cube with a handle? WTF?!? I mean WTF?!?
I agree that its was a an obvious (though maybe not to a Japanese person) mistake to release the Cube in "purple". Not that I don't think it looks good (mine is purple), its because it was sure-fire way to turn off the homophobic, cultural chameleons, that constitutes something like 90% of the market.
Nintendo should have kept the shape of console and pad, but only released it in black in the western market.
Their mistake was to make it possible to associate it (by choice of colour), with anything even remotely feminine or “childishâ€￾.

It now seems they didn't learn their lesson, and have now released the DS, at least it ain't as bad as last time, but it's still a bad design...
If people don't like the new DS either, I don’t know what they will like. I mean come on PSP doesn’t look that good, it's just the latest design that jumped on the fading "shiny shine" fad.

Wow to that marketing! Nintendo IS also going after an older market (basically the same as the PSP imo). Interesting. I wonder if anyone will believe what the AD is trying to sell, that the DS is 'sekxy cool'.

I just don't think there is any chance of the PSP outselling the DS. The latter is too cheap, and the former does not really have much feature-set wise over already existing portables. The walkman cleaned up because it was the only way to get portable music of that size. Nowadays, the features in the PSP can be achieved by other devices. The PSP may be the perfect marriage of them but that's unlikely as well.

To thop,

Ah that second screen shot explains why you want the DS so much. :devilish:

GwymWeepa said:
Will it be a run-away success like the GBA, will it just sell "okay", will it flop? Can it manage to outsell the psp?

Why aren't workstations and servers more widespread than PCs? After all, the technical prowess of the former trumps the latter. ;)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the success (or failure) of next generation handhelds has less to do with technology and more to do with economics.

The success of Nintendo DS looks precarious. At a $149 price point, it will probably be competing against a menagerie of similarly priced (and better-valued) products outside of the handheld market – i.e., mobile phones and current generation consoles.

Pepto-Bismol said:
GwymWeepa said:
Will it be a run-away success like the GBA, will it just sell "okay", will it flop? Can it manage to outsell the psp?

Why aren't workstations and servers more widespread than PCs? After all, the technical prowess of the former trumps the latter. ;)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the success (or failure) of next generation handhelds has less to do with technology and more to do with economics.

The success of Nintendo DS looks precarious. At a $149 price point, it will probably be competing against a menagerie of similarly priced (and better-valued) products outside of the handheld market – i.e., mobile phones and current generation consoles.

Ask the people who spent $1000 on a geforce 6800 ultra if they'd want to trade their computer for an ultra sparc...

I agree that its was a an obvious (though maybe not to a Japanese person) mistake to release the Cube in "purple". Not that I don't think it looks good (mine is purple), its because it was sure-fire way to turn off the homophobic, cultural chameleons, that constitutes something like 90% of the market.
Nintendo should have kept the shape of console and pad, but only released it in black in the western market.
Their mistake was to make it possible to associate it (by choice of colour), with anything even remotely feminine or “childishâ€￾.

Agreed. However I think they should've also released the Platinum Edition as standard too or even a white version ala PC Engine. A white version would actually be a little cheaper because it doesn't require painting not to mention it would appeal to females too. The purple really made the cheapness standout.

PC-Engine said:
Agreed. However I think they should've also released the Platinum Edition as standard too or even a white version ala PC Engine. A white version would actually be a little cheaper because it doesn't require painting not to mention it would appeal to females too. The purple really made the cheapness standout.

Then you've got a shiny Panasonic Q, with DVD playback capability! (which flopped unfortunately :? ;) )

http://www.ntsc-uk.com/MainContent/Gamecube/PanasonicQ/PanasonicQ.htm

pan_gcn_controller_remote_big.jpg

Front_comparison.jpg

Oh yes, a Q-style case would have interested me. ^_^ I'll deal with my Platinum, though. (Though the port-removal is a bit of a bummer.)

Then you've got a shiny Panasonic Q, with DVD playback capability! (which flopped unfortunately

The Q was never sold outside Japan and it was a limited release so I wouldn't say it flopped. This is old news anyway as the Q was competing with the regular cheaper GCN so it would be ironic if it sold really well. ;) :LOL:

I wouldn't be surpised if the Q sold as well as the other limited edition Xbox or PS2 releases.

Regardless the Platinum Edition is not the Q and would've helped sales in the beginning when the prices were higher which would make the GCN look not cheap like the purple version.

Yep, agreed. The purple really sucked as a launch color. I personally didn't mind the shape (I actually thought it was kind of cool since it seems quite small and yet powerful - but the problem is that as a techno-geek, I appreciate things of that nature) but mainstream Aamerica may have thought it looked too kiddy.

I ended up waiting TILL the platinum came out (well and Metroid Prime). White would have been a nice alternative though. Simple and clean.

From an art direction standpoint Shenmue looks better than D3.
No, no, you were speaking speciffically about the technology used (proprotioned to a hardware it's running on or some such thing) You never once mentioned art direction in that discussion. Also, unless you think Shenmue was end-all art direction miracle, you have convininetly ignored the rest of the comment where I noted how you said any game (not just Doom 3).

Still looking for better than PS2 graphics???
No, not really. People who played RR on PSP have pretty much uniformly said it looked better than the RRV on the PS2.

marconelly! said:
From an art direction standpoint Shenmue looks better than D3.
No, no, you were speaking speciffically about the technology used (proprotioned to a hardware it's running on or some such thing) You never once mentioned art direction in that discussion. Also, unless you think Shenmue was end-all art direction monster, you have convininetly ignored the rest of the comment where I noted how you said any game (not just Doom 3).

Still looking for better than PS2 graphics???
No, not really. People who played RR on PSP have pretty much uniformly said it looked better than the RRV on the PS2.

First of all provide a link to the comments I made from awhile ago that says what you claim. I have thousands of posts and I don't know which one you're referring to. Second Shenmue is an amazing engine considering the hardware it's running on. D3 looks pretty average for the type of hardware it requires. Therefore if that was what I actually stated then I would have to agree with myself. ;)

Third yeah I'm pretty sure Tetris on PSP looks better than Tetris on PS2 too. :LOL:

Nice try...maybe next time ie 4-5 years from now... ;)

Yeah I'm pretty sure Tetris on PSP looks better than Tetris on PS2 too.
What is wrong in comparing two launch games from the same developer and the same franchize? RRV was one of the high profile PS2 games at launch. It's not like I'm comparing anything with Fantavision.

marconelly! said:
Yeah I'm pretty sure Tetris on PSP looks better than Tetris on PS2 too.
What is wrong in comparing two launch games from the same developer and the same franchize? RRV was one of the high profile PS2 games at launch. It's not like I'm comparing anything with Fantavision.

Why not compare MGA to MGS2?

PS What kind of graphics card do you need to run D3? How much graphics memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back