How to use my x1950 xt to decode h.264 and the like

DJ12

Veteran
Is there a way I can get my gfx card to decode my HD content.... for free and preferably in x64 media players (such as MPC Homecinema and WMP 11)?

I am using Vista x64 Ulitmate and while corecodec works a treat on my crappy x3500+ there is no 64bit version.

FFDShow now has an experimental x64 build which decodes h.264 but it's extremely slow on my computer.

I know that if I continue to use the 32bit version of WMP and Media player classic I won't have a problem, but I would like to use my gfx card to decode that anyway if possible.

I am pretty clueless on most of the settings in MPC and there is no "Hardware acceleration" option that I can see. I have tried adding an external filter (ATI MPEG decode) but if fails to use it to decode the video and pops up an error message.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

How about this one: http://files.filefront.com/CoreAVC20060113zip/;4966379;/fileinfo.html
It's alpha version of the famous CoreAVC. It's a DirectShow filter, but I don't know if it works with Vista.

I'm a Win XP user. And all what I've learned about DXVA: It's useless (X1950GT and A64 3800+). VLC media player and its H.264 deliever good performance and quality. But the best performance you get with TCPMP and its H.264 decoder, but I'm not sure that there is still a full version available with all codecs/plugins*. The next way is CoreAVC (my link) and WMP or MPC (or every software player which uses DirectShow filters).

*-> http://home.arcor.de/mutterstadt/ :LOL: But no idea about Vista compability.

Might be worth bearing in mind that you have to pay for CoreAVC so that linked item is a 'pirated' version.

If you need to playback video encoded in h.264 CoreAVC is much, much faster than FFMPEG. With even a low-end dual-core CPU you will be able to playback 1080p without any problems. I think it's certainly worth paying the $15 license fee for the CoreAVC codec with multi-core support. An Athlon64 3500+ should be able to decode 720p without any problems though it might be pushing it for 1080p.

Might be worth bearing in mind that you have to pay for CoreAVC so that linked item is a 'pirated' version.

No, it's not.
It's from january 2006, before the alpha test has ended.
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=767051&postcount=218
CoreCodec AVC DirectShow Video Decoder

ALPHA VERSION FOR TESTING PURPOSE ONLY

Changelog:
==========

Version 0.0.0.4 Alpha (20060113) :
Support for VSSH FOURCC
Support for YUY2 output
Force anamorphic flag on renderer

Version 0.0.0.3 Alpha (20060109) :
CQM support
Fix for 8x8dct
Flush buffered frame
Support for X264 and x264 FOURCCs
Now use MERIT_NORMAL

Version 0.0.0.2 Alpha (20060104) :
Fixed some compatibility problems (AVI Decompressor, AviSynth, ...)
Project cleanup (smaller size)

Version 0.0.0.1 Alpha (20060102) :
Use a very high merit in this alpha release, don't install it if you
don't want to use it.
Should support anamorphic from Matroska (native mode) and MP4 files.
Limitations :
- Only output to YV12 and I420
- No dynamic output mediatype change
- No flushing for buffered frame at end of file
- Linked with some unecessary code from TCPMP
- no cqm, lossless or interlacing support

Here are the first 50 seconds of Planet Earth 3/5, recorded during EinsFestival HDTV showcase.
The news Nero 8 Demo (red is with DXVA, yellow is without DXVA):

And now with PowerDVD 7.3 something:

Back