How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by steveOrino, Jul 11, 2018.

1. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

If we're all just going to post bollocks in here, what's the point? But sure.. I can just toss you into the growing ignore list.

2. DSoup

DSoup meh

Yup. I wonder if the difference between the PS5 and PS5DE hardware is merely the case and one board has a PATA bus connector attached and the other does not giving the manufacturer maximum flexibility to adjust for when pre-orders numbers do start coming in. Especially if this is a fair difference in RRP between them. You get to the point where you have to wonder if even not adding the connector to a motherboard a difference in manufacturing lines worth the cost to differentiate models.

TheAlSpark likes this.
  3. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

You mean SATA? :p

But yeah, I assume it's just the same mobo just different chassis.

DSoup and PSman1700 like this.
  4. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

PATA damn that's old.

egoless, Silenti and TheAlSpark like this.
  5. DSoup

DSoup meh

I have completely lost track of how optical drives are connected. I don't have one in the gaming PC. :runaway:

TheAlSpark likes this.
  6. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Not as old as some people here. :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

*fuck

AzBat, PSman1700 and DSoup like this.
  7. DSoup

DSoup meh

My first proper local bus was Zorro II. Unless you could whatever "cartridge" slot the Commodore 64 had!

Johnny Awesome and TheAlSpark like this.
  8. Rangers

Legend

Where is the 399 XSX DE?

If you say not possible, why not? If the rumors are true XSX with disc is the same price as PS5 with disc. There is no reason the no disc editions shouldn't follow the same pattern.

But nope, gotta hold that out to prop up the XSS and not kneecap XSS "value". Which is a fraud.

499 XSX, 399 XSX DE, BOOM, fantastic position. Would have been...

I remember what a big moment it was when FF13 was announced for 360 in 2006. Xbox was too big to ignore. Now 14 years later, Xbox has regressed to where you can ignore it again (FF16 PS5 console exclusive). And it's because of decisions like XSS.

9. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

There's no way removing the optical saves them anywhere near $100. Maybe $30. The idea that people who buy digital editions create more profit by buying digital games isn't all that sound. I expect even people buying the the optical drive version will still acquire games digitally. They just want the option, or want access to their back catalog. Obviously there will be some who want to buy used games or trade, but I doubt that is even a majority case.

If the ps5de is 399 it might be that price because of xss.

10. Rangers

Legend

Boom 399 DE. Sony is looking mighty strong. In one fell swoop they mostly invalidate XSS.

What a disaster Xbox execs painted themselves into. Cant drop a 399 XSX DE now...

I cant believe Sony has turned a 36-52 CU deficit into this in the span of like 3 months LOL. From Sony overclocking the hell out of what they had to effectively muddy the difference as best they could, and then MS self inflicted XSS wound just rendering the power debate probably moot, Just wow. At this point maybe Phil Spenser should be fired...

Look at it this way, today the Ps5 coming in at the same price as XSX should have been a massive WIN for MS. Right? The XSX is more powerful, and would be the same price. In who's book is that not a win? Instead the combo of XSS and PS5 DE have people perceiving it as big WIN for Sony. It's crazy.

The way XSS just has a sneaking, corrupting, deleterious effect on everything xbox is what I feared. You have to be mentally sophisticated to see it, it's not on the surface. It's why Xbox One X never gained traction, because the BASE consoles power is what matters. The BASE console for Xbox is now weaker.

Apparently third parties are so sure XSS will be a massmarket success we're starting to see the return of mainstream PlayStation console exclusives?

Or I could be wrong, XSS could fall by the wayside or even be a down market mainstream success, (I doubt the latter, I think MS likely only chance is the former) and power still wins out. Early returns are heavily negative though. The scary thing is they have to support XSS FOREVER though. Even if it sells like total crap and falls down pretty quickly, they are locked in to supporting it for 7 years, and all the negative effects on the XSX that will have.

#1610 Rangers, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  11. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Will be interesting to see the breakdown on how much of a BOM Loss Sony is taking and how much is made up on the digital games backside.

milk, AzBat and function like this.
  12. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

Yeah, I don't think this is a position Sony perhaps wanted to be in, but I don't think they had a choice. Now I think it's pretty clear why they were waiting for MS to go first.

The lack of optical will save nothing like $100 for PS5, not even half that. And PS5 is going to be more than $100 more to manufacture than the XSS.

Sony are bleeding for this. It's a reaction, not a master plan.

Looking forward to their next "this is how you share games on Playstation" video.

milk, Johnny Awesome, Silenti and 3 others like this.
  13. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

Definitely! I don't think Sony have anything like All Access available, and they certainly don't have anything like Gamepass (first party AAA day one).

Suddenly, the focus has shifted to the digital box with the "full phat" machine looking a little overpriced compared to XSS. I don't think that's what Sony were intending a few months ago.

Johnny Awesome likes this.
  14. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

PS Plus Collection certainly seems like a gampass type thing

egoless likes this.
  15. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

First party PS5 games to PS Plus day one?

16. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

no but it's more than what they have now ...

17. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

damn it Sony Canada...why aren't prices ready to go with this announcement?!

18. Rangers

Legend

19. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Curious how many go for the $25 a month vs $400 up front cost.

AzBat likes this.
  20. jayco

Veteran Regular

Lol the Native 4k vs 4k. XD

And the width of the PS5 DE has been announced as well.