How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

I feel like MS is engaging in a bit of dishonest advertising. All their ads show XSX running games at 40k60 but majority of gamers will buy the lockhart version which is not a 4k machine. When you showoff all your nexgen games using the high end model that majority of gamers will not get and don't even mention the low end model i feel like this is a bit dishonest.

There are ads already?

What is the average size of the game installs?

What are the comparable storage capacities of the Xbox Series X?
XBSX - 1TB base at 2.4GBps
XBSS - ?? Likely same as above
PS5/PS5DE - 825GB at 5.5GBps

XBSX you can buy additional 1TB Seagate that's proprietary and installs into an external expansion slot.
PS5 has an NVME expansion slot that's likely on the motherboard. You will need a PlayStation certified NVME though as the speed of the NVME needs to be quicker than the internal 5.5GBps SSD.

Yes, and even weirder is seeing reports of Sony deciding to increase manufacture to 10 million units (or whatever it was), when we don't even know the price, so how do they even forecast demand for it? Sometimes the console industry is one weird little baby.

Leaning back back on my days when we had bespoke hardware made, it's almost always cheaper on the fab and manufacturing side to make more if you genuinely need more. If I recall correctly, the original plan was for 6m PS5 units and that was pushed to 10m units by 1Q. Many aspects of the manufacturing process are more efficient if there is greater demand - at least to a point where it isn't, there's a bell curve for everything!

Sony have an all-robot manufacturing facility in Tokyo that can produce two PS4 every 60 seconds, and it's estimated Foxconn can churn out a PS4 every 22-25 seconds. For Tokyo, the limit is the speed of the robots, for Foxconn, the speed is the number of human beings on the assembly line. If you don't need almost 3 PS4s a minute, have less people working in parallel. Assuming most PS5s are still coming from China, it'll be cheaper to crank out more PS5s faster. For certain, PS5 has been designed to be manufactured easier/faster than PS4.

In terms of intuiting demand, there are no official pre-order programmes so Sony won't know exactly how many PS5 or PS5DE units people want, nor where they want them so I Imagine part of the distribution plan for the increased 10m is a bit of guesswork based the what PS4 buying behaviours are in key launch markets and part of that 10m strategy will include a bit of stuffing early on - although it's only considered channel stuffing when you are cramming more into channels than there is known demand for. The lack of price isn't bothering me. Sony will known the average BOM by quantity produced each month, the costs of shipping and cost reduction predictions running unto 12 or maybe even 24 months into the future. Sony will have a scale of pricing with net profit/loss over the next 6/12/18/24/36 months based on predicted sales, average attach rates for games and average adoption of services.

They've said they want to transition people from PS4 to PS5 as quickly as possible, presumably to cement as much ecosystem lock-in as possible - knowing that the vast majority of their customers do not own multiple gaming systems, or at least not an Xbox. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get a RRP until the middle of next month.

Microsoft will be going through much the same thought process although instead of Disc/Digitial models they'll be anticipating demand for Series X/Series S. I'm 50/50 split on whether this is easier or harder!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that just before the end credits we will see a black luxurious car with a popgangsta song in the background.
It enters a giant mansion on Monaco's seafront passing numerous private security guards.
Parks in front of the main doorway and when the car door opens, we see just the driver's legs. It's a man, and he's moving with confidence inside the mansion, with the guards that nervously step aside to let him pass, until he arrives in the panoramic terrace, and there from behind the legs we see a surprised and anxious Cerny in a luxury dressing gown with a champagne bottle in the right hand.
With a slightly trembling voice, he asks: "What are you doing here? What you think to do?"
And with a reverse shot, we finally see who is the mysterious stranger: he's Spencer and he's serious!
He slowly removes his sunglasses maintaining the gaze on him, and then with a firm tone responds: "What I've said you the last time that we meet?".
Cerny tries to remember and stutter something: "I.. I.. Don't... You... said...".
"I said that all will go as planned", and unable to keep the serious tone he burst in a deafening laugh and adds "We did it! We did it! Ahahahahah!".
Broken by the accumulated tension and the latest emotional roller coaster, Cerny slowly start to laugh too, almost hysterically, moves near Spencer and the two hug and jump discharging the tension.
"You son of a bitch! You were right! We did it! Now I remember what you said: Power your dreams ahahahah! We fucked them all! ahahah!"
And while they keep laughing, the camera slowly pans away framing the placid seafront decorated with candid and luxurious yoth.
And finally, the end credits start to roll.

Jim Ryan Quote:

One of the global partners' game Quantum Error #PS5

. Current tests about 4K and 65-70Fps for now. TeamKill Media's main goal is 4K 60Fps, stable. They will handle it.

5BEFnvt.png

Jim Ryan doesn't have twitter. It's a parody account. It used to say "parody account" on his banner. When he started getting actual sony studio followers, he removed that from the banner and started blocking anyone who pointed out he's a fake.
Lol wtf

Haha, twitter is real shit. I hardly use it tbh.
Jim Ryan doesn't have twitter. It's a parody account. It used to say "parody account" on his banner. When he started getting actual sony studio followers, he removed that from the banner and started blocking anyone who pointed out he's a fake.
What about the Quantum Error reply? They are debunking rumours.

I don't recall seeing any rumors about Quantum Error. What is there for them to debunk?

The rumor about performance involved multiplatform developers, Xbox Series X and relative performance of PS5. The Quantum Error game is a Playstation exclusive.

Back