How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by steveOrino, Jul 11, 2018.

1. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

From the reports I'm reading, I don't think it's isolated to any particular title. It does appear that the titles that are played the most experience this issue the most; so most PS5 owners are reporting trouble with SM:MM. But I think it's because it sells the most, so by percentage you're going to see more complaints about crashing around that particular title.

Demon's Souls when playing has been a fairly rock solid experience for me, not a single issue. Getting into Demon's Souls tends to be where the trouble area is for me.

PSman1700 likes this.
  2. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

So the reason I asked about have you tried other discs, is that it could be an issue with the physical disc or the drive.

3. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

yea unfortunately I can't comment on that then; I only have 1 game and 1 disc =(
    It doesn't seem an issue with the disc drive though. Just seems to forget/refuse to spin up to check the license. After a reboot it seems to remember.

just happened again. And now my patching progress is wonky

I’m at a screen that says:
    Copying the update file
    274.6 MB / 274.6 MB (99+ Hours left)

so basically I’m stuck at 100%
    I can proceed without patching however.

And then 30 minutes later for some odd reason it’s done copying. And then I can patch and play.

#2323 iroboto, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    DSoup likes this.
  4. wco81

Legend

Phil Spencer interviewed on The Vergecast.

Said they started ramping manufacturing late as they waited for some last-minute things from AMD.

Said they are selling at a slight loss and seemed uncertain if that was also the case with the PS5.

Said that they could do pretty much the same things using the browser, specifically Mobile Safari to deliver XCloud, as they would have done with an app. Still talking to Apple though to see if they can come to some agreement.

DSoup and BRiT like this.
  5. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

It's the weirdest interview. On a few issues he's commenting on things he shouldn't be, like how both Microsoft and Sony lament the launch issues. You just don't do that. Ignoring those things, it's full of interesting stuff.

6. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

Phil needs to be careful about transparency becoming excuses even if they aren't meant to be or intended to be.
    It's much better to just say, we projected to sell this many for launch given our timelines for our silicon.
    is better than,
    we had to wait for features for RDNA 2 before we could start the build process.

Even then, I'm not even sure if it's RDNA 2 that's holding up their build process. I'm not sure if design and manufacturing are related in that way.

That's like, not going to work when you're getting your butt kicked for launch titles.

PSman1700 likes this.
  7. BillSpencer

Regular Newcomer

Did anybody notice how MS is not claiming the most powerful console anymore?

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/consoles/xbox-series-x

My guess is that they are doing this to avoid lawsuits in the USA (and possible other countries).

I can already see it, with a class action lawsuit, the lawyers of the litigants call to the stage the guys from digital foundry to give an explanation to the jury. With their videos showing on a screen, showing Xbox not being the most powerful console. It would be PR hell

8. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Already discussed previously.

AzBat and PSman1700 like this.
  9. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

Microsoft rewording isn't anything seedy. Technically, XBSX does have an advantage when it comes to raw compute performance. How it is used in real-world gaming is a whole other matter left up to developers.