How to save/backup your HDDVD to Bluray.

pascal

Veteran
Someone found a way to backup HDDVD to BD.
This maybe interresting in the future to people who bought HDDVD discs.
http://www.ps3news.com/PlayStation3/Japanese_gamer_rips_HD_DVD_exclusive_Transformers_runs_on_PS3/
Japanese gamer rips HD DVD exclusive Transformers, runs on PS3 Posted by PS3News 18 hours ago (http://pocketnews.cocolog-nifty.com) View profile
Category: PlayStation 3 | Tags: japanese gamer hd dvd exclusive transformers ps3
According to reports, a Japanese gamer has been able to rip the HD DVD exclusive Transformers and manage to successfully get it running on the PS3 via burning it on Blu-ray.

The steps involved to his success include the following - rip of a EVO file of the Transformers HD DVD, usage of EVOdemux to rebuild the necessary image, convert EVO file into BDMV format via TSremux and lastly burn onto BD-RE with Ulead.

The only major limitiation to his method so far is that subtitles don't transfer over.
thumb.php

Nice. Now if only those stubborn hold-out studios would wise-up and just switch over to Blu-ray and release their HD DVD back-catalogues this wouldn't be an issue :p

If this is real why not vice versa?

BR --> HDDVD buy high end player for $300 now get7 hd dvds then get bogo br and convert?

Anyone know about feasibility?

Eh? You'd need a HD DVD writer to acomplish that, and those haven't come to market yet. Besides that you'd need a Blu-ray drive to read the orignal disks anyway, and at that point you can just use that to watch the movies from. But yeah, DRM can be striped from HD DVDs or Blu-rays, and such unprotected content can be burnt to Blu-ray disks, there is nothing less than real about that.

Eh? You'd need a HD DVD writer to acomplish that, and those haven't come to market yet. Besides that you'd need a Blu-ray drive to read the orignal disks anyway, and at that point you can just use that to watch the movies from. But yeah, DRM can be striped from HD DVDs or Blu-rays, and such unprotected content can be burnt to Blu-ray disks, there is nothing less than real about that.

I don't care about stripping DRM, (though actually that would be nice). I just thought maybe you could convert the formats since they have to same encryption etc...BluRay will not play unencrypted discs in the future anyway though so it is useless to go that way.

I don't care about stripping DRM, (though actually that would be nice).
It seems you care about the possiblity of being able to copy a Blu-ray movie to HD DVD, that was what your question was about, eh? Bypassing the DRM is necessary for copying the disk.
BluRay will not play unencrypted discs in the future anyway though so it is useless to go that way.
So all those no copyprotected HD home videos people make and burn to Blu-ray will stop working in their Blu-ray players? Where did you get that idea?

It seems you care about the possiblity of being able to copy a Blu-ray movie to HD DVD, that was what your question was about, eh? Bypassing the DRM is necessary for copying the disk.
I thought it might be like CDs where you could just exactly copy the image over, or something like that and leave the cryptounchanged.
So all those no copyprotected HD home videos people make and burn to Blu-ray will stop working in their Blu-ray players? Where did you get that idea?

I got it here.
http://yahoo.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2006/tc20060526_680075.htm
Blu-ray, however, goes beyond the AACS, incorporating two other protection mechanisms: The ROM Mark is a cryptographic element overlaid on a "legitimate" disk. If the player doesn't detect the mark, then it won't play the disc. This will supposedly deal with video-camera-in-the-theatre copies.

And yep thats right, no home movies needed after all how do the studios make money when we make our own movies?

I thought it might be like CDs where you could just exactly copy the image over, or something like that and leave the cryptounchanged.
The copy protection is what protects it from being copied.
I got it here.
http://yahoo.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2006/tc20060526_680075.htm

And yep thats right, no home movies needed after all how do the studios make money when we make our own movies?
That isn't right, it is Chicken Little nonsense. The ROM Mark system does nothing of the sort.

The copy protection is what protects it from being copied.

That isn't right, it is Chicken Little nonsense. The ROM Mark system does nothing of the sort.

Businessweek is chicken little nonsense? You have to have a bit more credible assertion than that.

The author didn't understand what he was talking about, and the article is a year and a half old. 30 seconds on Google would find you plenty of info on authoring BDs if you cared to check.

You cannot actually do that. In order of an image or video folder extracted from BD-ROM protected disks to be playable the original protection schema must be removed. Simple copy/image doesn't work.

The article is completely incorrect from a technical perspective. Neither the Blu-Ray standard nor the Blu-Ray players contain any restrictions that impede to play personal video content home made as long as it is correctly authored.
Artcicle is old and at that time (2006) the usage of BD writers for home made content was very speculative since none was available yet to mass consumer market.

You registered to post twice to say the article was incorrect :) That is strange.

Initial posts by new members are vetted by forum staff before making it to the general public. I posted the same thing probably 3 times in the first thread I posted in :p

If this is real why not vice versa?

BR --> HDDVD buy high end player for $300 now get7 hd dvds then get bogo br and convert?

Anyone know about feasibility?

Impossible since Blu-ray uses a higher mux rate than HDDVD. You would have to re-encode the video and lose some quality. That basically defeats the purpose of HD in the first place. And as already mentioned you would be hard pressed to even find a HDDVD writer at the moment.

And ROM-Mark only applies to pressed discs. You don't make those at home.

Back