How to be fat?

Increase the intake of carbohydrates (rice, bread, potatoes, noodles, pasta, etc.), preferably before long resting periods like at night before sleeping.

I'm not sure you'll get what you want though, because that will just make you fat, so your body figure and health is likely to get worse..

Fat? Why would you want to be fat?

Do you just mean big? You should strive to gain weight in muscles rather than fat. And that takes a bit of work, but it's not as impossible as you think.

Apparently in some parts of Asia, it's considered a sign of health (!), wealth and prosperity to be fat.

Talked to a guy I know who has a friend who used to travel regularly to south-east Asia, not sure which country exactly, but that general region. He's a big Swedish guy, close to 2m tall, who used to have quite a belly too, so ~130ish kilos or so. He said, his friend used to get his belly patted/rubbed by strangers (!), and he found it so disconcerting that before his next trip abroad he started working out to lose weight...! :LOL:

Anyway, to quickly get healthy, rich and prosperous, just eat a lot of McDonald's "food". Best way eva! :D

I'm going to get a sausage biscuit right now. May even get one of those greasebomb hashbrown things as well. Will update you with the results.

What sports are good?

I usually do bicycle, sit up, and push up. But they not as tiring as kinect sports volleyball. Dunno whichever more effective

Well those are all exercises that will burn calories over a longer period and therefore keep you slim.

If you want to put on weight (in muscles), you'll have to put on more weight (resistance) in your exercises to develop your muscles, and eat a whole lot. Increasing the weight will increase your muscle size.

When you're increasing your calories and protien intake you should also be following a workout regime. If you have limited time, then a program like P90X3 which is around 40 minutes including the cooldown time can help.

Just wait and you'll get fat eventually.

How to speed things up? Don't exercise and drink plenty of beer. I can guarantee you that works perfectly...

I´ll have to start losing weight because I have slightly high blood pressure and I´m getting tired of the Japanese doctor nagging at me at the yearly healthy check up.

You have to lose weight!!! shows me some chart which is probably perfectly fine for the skinny ass Japanese men but a white dude shouldn´t weigh 73kgs or something like that when he´s 185cm tall. I´m 81 now so I should probably lose about 5kg. Or better yet convert the fat to muscle.

What sports are good?

I usually do bicycle, sit up, and push up. But they not as tiring as kinect sports volleyball. Dunno whichever more effective

For increased muscle mass the fastest results would be through weight lifting at the gym (lots of weight, few repetitions) and eating lots of animal protein (chicken, pork, beef).
You can also get those protein shakes, but I wouldn't go there unless you find yourself unable to gain volume through more "natural" methods and are desperate to see some results.
I'm not knowledgeable on that field and I never took them, but I get the feeling that the people who take protein shakes usually end up with a weird-looking body, with their muscles getting a round and unnatural form.

But this is not the healthiest end result you'll get either. Big muscles tend to shorten your tendons (you'll lose elasticity), will lose mass very quickly if you stop training (leaving you with a rather flappy body), they're not really useful for day-to-day activities and they won't help much as you age.

IMO the healthiest (and subjectively better looking) bodies can be attained through functional training (TRX, Crossfit, Insanity and others).
This is also the type of training that won't strain your tendons and cartilages too much (many repetitions but low-ish weights), they're designed to increase your elasticity (if you do them right) and there's a good cardio activity. They're definitely the best way to keep a healthy and active body throughout aging.

The problem is that unless you have Sharingan or have a great motor control through some background in martial arts or dancing, you're very likely to not be able to do those trainings without assistance, at least for the first year or so. Trying to do these trainings alone from the start (e.g. ordering DVDs or watching youtube videos) will probably end up with you getting hurt and/or having poor results.

You have to lose weight!!! shows me some chart which is probably perfectly fine for the skinny ass Japanese men but a white dude shouldn´t weigh 73kgs or something like that when he´s 185cm tall. I´m 81 now so I should probably lose about 5kg. Or better yet convert the fat to muscle.

Gotta love them charts... Specially the ones comparing our bodies with an average taken from different racial types...

Last edited by a moderator:
functional training (TRX, Crossfit, Insanity and others).

im gonna google that.

The problem is that unless you have Sharingan or have a great motor control through some background in martial arts or dancing, you're very likely to not be able to do those trainings without assistance, at least for the first year or so. Trying to do these trainings alone from the start (e.g. ordering DVDs or watching youtube videos) will probably end up with you getting hurt and/or having poor results.

i have Kinect Fitness something something from Ubisoft. it is really boring but do have lots of nice training for stretching, cardio, etc. but it is super boring...

about dancing, does playing DDR counts? :p

Crossfit seems plagued with people who don't know what they're doing. It has a very bad reputation with the gym rats I know. Lots of unsafe practices apparently. Beware.

If you want a balanced build up of muscle and you're not particularly athletic at the moment, swimming is a very good and safe way to condition your body and build up core strength. I would do that for a few months before taking on anything high impact. Swimming will let you know about muscles that you didn't even know you had. These are going to be very important to you if you start putting extra stress on your body.

If you're keen to do more stuff at home, there's some great core strength workouts you can do that you can incorporate into your pushup / situp regime. This site seems to cover the ones I've been taught quite well. Again, if you're thinking about doing weights or other strenuous stuff in the future, you really should be doing this now in preperation for that.

Are you currently playing volleyball? If so (I used to coach it) get used to putting your bicycle into it's highest gear and leaving it there. It will increase your vert.

Crossfit seems plagued with people who don't know what they're doing. It has a very bad reputation with the gym rats I know. Lots of unsafe practices apparently. Beware.

Could this be a local problem?
I haven't heard of this, since there seems to be a certification program that is properly enforced, at least here in my city.

If you want a balanced build up of muscle and you're not particularly athletic at the moment, swimming is a very good and safe way to condition your body and build up core strength. I would do that for a few months before taking on anything high impact. Swimming will let you know about muscles that you didn't even know you had. These are going to be very important to you if you start putting extra stress on your body.

I agree. Swimming is great, and I only left it out because I assumed the OP was looking for stuff that he could do at home.

Swimming is great. As soon as you stop doing it you are guaranteed to get fat.

My take? Don't get fat. Stay as you are - your body is very likely in perfect balance with your lifestyle. Take up kayaking if you want to get broader shoulders or something like that, that way you aldo get to enjoy the nice outside, or rowing which has good social benefit (ie meet people).

I've been almost exactly the same weight for over 20 years now, 75-78 with 1.92m.

Yeah, there are great advantages to doing activities with other people. You end up doing it for fun and getting/remaining fit is just a happy byproduct.

Actually, if you are morbidly slim, a reason could be that you eat to much carbs.

Back in time, a famous Austrian doctor, Dr Lutz, (one of the first who did state that bread et al. Is not good) used a low carb diet to treat obese people, but interestingly to also treat morbidly slim people.

The reasoning he gave was that low carb diets regulate the body weight to be normal...for most people this means losing weight, for a few this means gaining weight to reach normality.

I had never heard of that theory before...

Then what do the morbidly slim people's bodies do with all the excess calories that are ingested through carbs?

I had never heard of that theory before...

Then what do the morbidly slim people's bodies do with all the excess calories that are ingested through carbs?

If I understand it correctly, some people are sensitive to insulin. It is all about hormone response it seems to me. Most people that are sensitive to insulin react in such a way that they either gain weight and/or develop diabetes type 2. A few react the exact opposite way according to this Dr.

As I said, I just read this in the book of Dr. Lutz called (translated directly from German, I don't know if there is even a version in other languages) 'Life without Bread'.

See if you can find an internet archive of Iron Man magazine from the old, Peary Rader, days. IIRC the question you asked was frequently addressed.

From memory: Sleep with a window open, and have a light breeze running over your bed. This promotes the release of growth hormone. Get 7-8 hours of good sleep every night, no staying up late at night dancing to rock and roll music! :) Never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down. Avoid sugary drinks, and drinks with caffeine should only be taken in moderation, as they can over stimulate your body and cause your blood sugar to crash. Do not smoke, or use any nicotine.

Drink milk if you can tolerate it, or eat yogurt from whole milk, or kefir. Raw, organic, is the best. Stir in some brewers yeast, and some raw honey.
Eggs, eggs are your friend. Though some people have made great gains by eating a dozen eggs a day, you should start slower at first and see how you respond from eating two to four a day. Organic, pastured, eggs are best. Your carbohydrates should come from a variety of whole foods. Apples, bananas, oatmeal, rice, pasta, yams, sweet potatoes, potatoes, corn, peas, lentils, and so on are all good sources of carbohydrates and other healthy nutrients.

Incorporate some strength training in your workout. Find someone who can show you how to do so safely. Leg presses, deadlifts, squats, and other basic movements are all conducive to packing on muscle. Bent over rows and presses are good for upper body mass.

Always allow for proper digestion of your food. Given the quality of food today, and how it is prepared, look for a good, inexpensive, source of digestive enzymes. A good one will help you digest virtually all foods, including fats, proteins, starches, and even beans. Relax when you eat, and afterwards allow time to digest your meal.

Rader was born on October 17, 1909. He started lifting weights at age 12, but in 1933, he weighed just 128 pounds at a height of 5'11.5". Then he shifted his emphasis to heavy, high repetition squats, and built his bodyweight up to 210 pounds within about a year (he eventually reached 220 pounds). He was victorious in a number of local and regional weightlifting contests, and also became proficient at a number of other lifts (such as the one-hand clean) and feats of strength. Rader was the Midwestern Heavyweight Champion for seven years, with official lifts of 220 pounds in the one-hand clean and jerk, 280 pounds in the two-hand clean and jerk, and a squat of 450 pounds (without support gear).

Rader married the former Mabel Kirchner in 1936; they had two sons, Jack and Gene. Shortly after being married, Peary and Mabel founded Iron Man magazine, which was initially printed using a ditto machine that Peary had salvaged from the trash. Rader published Iron Man through the September, 1986 issue, which included a number of letters from prominent people in the field to celebrate the magazine's fiftieth anniversary. At its peak, the magazine had a circulation of 70,000. Rader himself published approximately 1300 magazine articles; most were in Iron Man, but some were also published in Strength Athlete (published by George Kirkley) and by Joe Weider (Dellinger, 1994).

In 1986, Rader sold the magazine to John Balik, who repositioned it as a hard-core bodybuilding magazine. Rader also published Lifting News for many years.

He died on November 24, 1991.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peary_Rader

Back