How they made the water in Splashdown 2? (PS2)

Rug, fair enough, you can do some physics simulation inside a DX8 pixel shader as well.
But that still won't get you any closer to drawing a 3d wave within a pixel shader, which is what I was refering to ;)

Marconelly said:
Hmm, Faf try to get your hands on Splashdown 2 demo. Water is deinitely 'geometrically' animated with waves and such, but it also has that defined everchanging texture to it.
Well I did play it at E3 a bit, looked a lot like the first one :p
They may use texture animations and other stuff alongside with it, but the 'basic core' of the water simulation - the water surface reflection&refraction modulation, can only be done with geometry.
In order to simulate that through pixel effects you need dependant texture reads, something only XBox and GC do this console generation.

yeah well of course the only way to have realistic water is geometry.. after all pixel effects are "mapping" onto flat polygons... if a *decent* 3dimensional wave structure is not there, u'd have a flat ass *shiny* thing...

london-boy said:
yeah well of course the only way to have realistic water is geometry.. after all pixel effects are "mapping" onto flat polygons... if a *decent* 3dimensional wave structure is not there, u'd have a flat ass *shiny* thing...

...And as we all know, flat asses - shiny or not - are SO BORING. :)
Buns should make good of their name, heh heh!

Anyway, water is overall too overdone these days IMO. It looks so wrong to have all this (often VERY shiny water, and then only standard flat-looking textured polys for everything else. I'd rather be without the shiny water in that case. Morrowind is a prime example of this, why pixel shade just the water? That way it's just a pointless gimmick feature. On top of everything else, it's not even a very good pixel-shaded surface. :)

*G*

Grall said:
london-boy said:

...And as we all know, flat asses - shiny or not - are SO BORING. :)
Buns should make good of their name, heh heh!

Anyway, water is overall too overdone these days IMO. It looks so wrong to have all this (often VERY shiny water, and then only standard flat-looking textured polys for everything else. I'd rather be without the shiny water in that case. Morrowind is a prime example of this, why pixel shade just the water? That way it's just a pointless gimmick feature. On top of everything else, it's not even a very good pixel-shaded surface. :)

*G*

flat asses should be banned from the boards. actually lets make a law, whoever has a flat ass is liable to 4 weeks intense workout to develop a nice little bum hehehe

anyway, yeah shiny pretty water with everything else flat is pretty useless... the little lake in ICO was just amazing. a little bit of water in the middle of the game, not overused and u dont really see that kind of water anywhere else in the game (the water at the last part of the game looks different). just purrrfect...

i must admit that it IS overused in BG:DA, as pretty as it is, they put water EVERYWHERE... they must have been very proud of the effect they achieved, they could have called the game BG:Waterworld.. and star Kevin Costner in it :LOL:

well i dont know about u, but i just bought baldurs gate and i've been playing with the water for like hours..... it never stops to amaze me... best trick is diving in, jump in and out to make a whole messy wavy thing... so cool...
now THAT os a whole lot of geometry if u ask me, and a whole lot of cool maths involved in the waves' behaviour.

flat asses should be banned from the boards. actually lets make a law, whoever has a flat ass is liable to 4 weeks intense workout to develop a nice little bum hehehe

anyway, yeah shiny pretty water with everything else flat is pretty useless... the little lake in ICO was just amazing. a little bit of water in the middle of the game, not overused and u dont really see that kind of water anywhere else in the game (the water at the last part of the game looks different). just purrrfect...

i must admit that it IS overused in BG:DA, as pretty as it is, they put water EVERYWHERE... they must have been very proud of the effect they achieved, they could have called the game BG:Waterworld.. and star Kevin Costner in it :LOL:

Yesterday I watched Eurogamer's last video about water in videogames (from retro to not-so-retro), and after that I looked for some info in here. I found your comments pretty funny and wondered if you still think the same about BG's water after aaaaaaaaaaall this time. :D

Do you still think that flat asses should be banned?

Yesterday I watched Eurogamer's last video about water in videogames (from retro to not-so-retro), and after that I looked for some info in here. I found your comments pretty funny and wondered if you still think the same about BG's water after aaaaaaaaaaall this time. :D

Do you still think that flat asses should be banned?

You did not just quote one of my post from - wait - FIFTEEN YEARS AGO!

God I’m old. We had the internet 15 years ago??

That hacking would have worked a lot faster if he'd started counting up from zero instead of down from 65 brazillion...

Back