How many years in space?

How many years would you sacrifice?

• None, I wouldn't go, I'm not crazy!

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Yeah, right, who is going to pay for all that?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 year

• 5 years

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • 10 years

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • 25 years

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I do it for my children!

• All the luxury of a cruise ship, eh? Count me in!

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Whatever it takes, humanity needs to spread and conquer!

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Frank

Certified not a majority
Veteran
If you could get a one-way trip to some planet with your wife and children, that is marketed to be the next best thing to the Garden of Eden, how many years would you be prepared to spend on that ship, if it is as luxurous as a cruise ship?

Between 3 and 5 I think - depends on what the "route" is ;)

Edit: Oh sorry, I misread the "one-way" bit. Hmm, well if life on board is okay, then sign me up for the rest of my life thanks.

I'd go if no one bothered me there. ;)

As per the question of time... 25 years. (I only say that as a maximum/upper limit).

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as it takes. I don't have wife or children, and I wouldn't care much about the "Garden of Eden". It would be worth it just for the sense of adventure and for seeing another planet with my own eyes.

Have you guys been on a cruise before? Hell I'll spend the rest of eternity on that trip - that's good times!

I'd go just to make sure the black hole isn't going to kill me in case scientists have made a huge error in their calculations.

If I'd be with a bunch of hot girls on that ship, time wouldn't matter ;)

I think I'd never do it, I like the Earth. And something like garden of eden wouldn't really work as soon as humans are there, we tend to destroy beautiful things rather fast.

I wouldn't go either if the place is some kind of "Garden Of Eden".
But if the place was technologically ahead of earth, with cooler gadgets and continuing technological development, then I'd be ready to spend two or three years on that trip.

chavvdarrr said:
IF the ship has Internet ... :D

Oh yeah of course, it's got to have Internet! :cool:

(we won't get into the problem of ever greater time delays for information though, let's keep it fanciful!)

Chalnoth said:
I think that colonization would most likely depend upon the transport of families.
1 man and as many woman as possible would be more effective - whatever the space on your ship.

Npl said:
1 man and as many woman as possible would be more effective - whatever the space on your ship.
As great of a dream as it would be for that one man, no: you want an equal mix for maximal biodiversity.

Back