How good is XB360 BC nowadays?

tcrews said:
BC is so overrated (to me anyway).....it's next gen time, not last gen time !! :)
Ithink the main incentive for BC comes from PS2's improvment on older games. If XB360 could play XB games with improvements like better IQ, that'd be great. But if it's just a matter of playing the old games there's the old console for that.

From the sounds of it BC isn't really a feature except for a very few titles, and rate of growth seems to be negative, with more titles being removed than added! (?). I look forward to blakjedi's research to investigate this further. Specifically, does Barbieâ„¢ Horse Adventuresâ„¢ Wild Horse Rescueâ„¢ work well and are there any improvements ;)

Thumbs down for "bc" on 360

Shifty Geezer said:
Ithink the main incentive for BC comes from PS2's improvment on older games. If XB360 could play XB games with improvements like better IQ, that'd be great. But if it's just a matter of playing the old games there's the old console for that.

From the sounds of it BC isn't really a feature except for a very few titles, and rate of growth seems to be negative, with more titles being removed than added! (?). I look forward to blakjedi's research to investigate this further. Specifically, does Barbieâ„¢ Horse Adventuresâ„¢ Wild Horse Rescueâ„¢ work well and are there any improvements ;)

Its also so that many sold their xbox after Halo2, well people have sold it atleast but i sold mine after halo2:)
So i think BC is very important. You would also want the games to be as you said a little improved if the can do that BUT atleast run like they did on Xbox or games that had framrate problems could have that fixed(bonus).

BC on X360 is a joke and i honestly belive they could dropped it altogheter instead of making it seem that it is. It should from day 1 be it and people who just bought a core system cant play any titles at all.

People like BC because it removes the need for a system. This is especially important if you have something like an entertainment stand/center with limited space and lots of other electronics. Also less wires and mess, etc, and so on. It also gives people a chance to play the previous generations games if they didn't do so before, which can be pretty big with people for a lot of obvious reasons.

There's word going around that MS has confirmed there won't be any updates to BCuntil march. As usual people on the net have taken this as MS completly halting BC work. I don't think that is teh case, I just htink they won't be having an update until march and hopefully it's a big one adding a lot of games.

Serenity Painted Death said:
People like BC because it removes the need for a system. This is especially important if you have something like an entertainment stand/center with limited space and lots of other electronics. Also less wires and mess, etc, and so on. It also gives people a chance to play the previous generations games if they didn't do so before, which can be pretty big with people for a lot of obvious reasons.

Also i think that in the beginning of a platforms life its more important than lets say "we now fixed 50% three years later" cause it dont mean so much then, if anything for the majority.

If i take a good ex and say that when i buy the PS3 i SELL my PS2 or little earlier just to find out later/in a month that i cant play FFXII or SotC etz..
I see myself as "pretty" read up on these things so i shouldnt do the above if i wasnt certain but people on boards like B3D is amongst 1~2% of the buyers if i should guess. Although its probably "we" that buys the majority first but there is many others aswell.

Qroach said:
There's word going around that MS has confirmed there won't be any updates to BCuntil march. As usual people on the net have taken this as MS completly halting BC work. I don't think that is teh case, I just htink they won't be having an update until march and hopefully it's a big one adding a lot of games.

The emulator is on the HDD right so when you connect it should update it right away with the kernels update?

this is the worst backward compatibilty that ever existed on a console.

shame on MS for pretending the xbox 360 is BC with the xbox, when all they have to offer is only a pathetic excuse for a BC.

Magnum PI said:
I tend to think Gamecube's backwards compatibility was rather shite. :)
shame on MS for pretending the xbox 360 is BC with the xbox, when all they have to offer is only a pathetic excuse for a BC.
It is dissapointing that MS seems to be putting less and less priority into backwards compatibility. It's not just the list of games and that there may only be one more update in 2006, what has me concerned is the spotty compatibility in the games that are already officially supported , especially 60fps games that seem to have slowdown (ninja gaiden).

Magnum PI said:

IIRC, Microsoft promised that the xbox 360 would be BC with the best xbox games. They aren't pretending that the 360 is generally BC with the xbox, they're delivering on the fact that the xbox 360 is BC with the best xbox games. It's better then nothing, and the list includes a lot of the popular games, so I don't see a problem large enough to call their efforts pathetic. The very fact that they're putting effort into BC is impressive, and the way the 360 implements BC is even more impressive. Meh, to each their own.

As long as Halo 2 chugs far harder on my 360 than it ever has on my Xbox, I'll consider their delivery pathetic.

I've played through most of halo2 on the 360 and I really don't get where you think it chugs harder on it, compared to the previous xbox. if anything it's exactly the same performance as the original xbox.

Falkster said:
It's better then nothing, and the list includes a lot of the popular games, so I don't see a problem large enough to call their efforts pathetic.

it's pathetic when emulation is so approximative and you get major problems like the one described in this thread.

BC = be able to play his old games and being able to enjoy the same experience

this awkward emulation just doesn't qualify as BC.

Magnum PI said:
it's pathetic when emulation is so approximative and you get major problems like the one described in this thread.

BC = be able to play his old games and being able to enjoy the same experience

this awkward emulation just doesn't qualify as BC.

Also means that you SHOULDNT have to connect to the net at all, to complicated.
Console gaming should be easy. Thats one of the charms of it.

I think it is acceptable to download new versions of the emulator (new "Xbox-cast" packs) if that would mean a well growing (over time) quality of the emulator and of the titles supported for it.

I am down with patches, episodic content, micro-transactions for new elements, etc... unless that means uber-buggy games rushed to the stores for still high prices and that make you wait a month or two or more for decent fixes to be available.

Qroach said:
I've played through most of halo2 on the 360 and I really don't get where you think it chugs harder on it, compared to the previous xbox. if anything it's exactly the same performance as the original xbox.
That is good to hear about single player, I have been meaning to play though it again. My comments were in regard to mulitplayer though, were it does chug like mad on the 360 during heavy action.

kyleb said:
That is good to hear about single player, I have been meaning to play though it again. My comments were in regard to mulitplayer though, were it does chug like mad on the 360 during heavy action.

Oh I see. That could be network related though. playing online is not necessarily smooth depending on your connection to your opoonents.

Back