HK PC Parts Shopping

poopypoo

Veteran
OK, so I just relocated to Hong Kong... and I was really hoping the PC parts situation would be better than this. Obviously, the HK markets are famed throughout the world, but to me, they're little better than Shanghai -- in fact worse -- the 5% reduction in prices and added variety here is wasted by the fact that it takes twice as long to get in and out of the fucking caves you have to shop in here. I'll take some pictures once I get my PC here.

So, anyone know any of those HKEPC guys? XD Anyone have any advice? I could really use a reliable, cheap HK pc parts dealer (as in, I build 2-10 boxes a week) who has a really WIDE selection and doesn't rent office space in the bottom of a smoky cave...

Prices are nice, but selection...meh... I really appreciate being an American at a time like this. radeon x1800gto? ahahahahaha bu zai!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hong Kong's hardware situation isn't any better.

There are quite many brands that didn't make through HK, like Albatron, DFI, OCZ, Tagan, etc.

And because Hong Kong market is relatively small, the choice isn't really bigger than mainland China.

My family is in HK and I'm now studying in US. So I belive I can give you the best answer.;)

wow, well met, and thanks for the support! ;D

yeah it's honestly not THAT bad, i mean it would be a lot more impressive if I hadn't moved here from Shanghai, where the selection is similar, but the crowds are less intense (more space, really). The selection for tweakers is impressive -- fan stores loaded to the gills with deltas, ystechs, sunons, etc... all kinds of little details like that... but still, sadly, doesn't beat the price & convenience of newegg + 2cooltek (RIP!)... ^_~

but for the ppl who like brick & mortar, it beats fry's -- it may be less comfortable, but i spent a few trips to US retailers trying to find a cheap radeon x300-class card to power my stepfather's office LCDs -- what a waste of time... but i've been an internet guy for a long time now. :)

And from What I know,

the warranty service in HK is quite bad. You'd better prepared. You won't find any warranty service in HK is like what eVGA/BFG offers here in US.

Richteralan said:
O and Yes, I know HKEPC.;)
Great! :D Have them send me an email about reliable places to shop in HK! ;D

Actually, I've been getting more comfortable. All but one of the parts I've bought (a cheap "Samsung" floppy drive) has worked well and been priced cheaply. Some things are at a premium (Arctic Silver anyone?) but none too disastrous. Sham Shui Po is a tweaker's dream, with all the fan shops and so many basic electronic components available. It's still kinda crowded and hectic, and knowing you're going to get the tourist treatment from almost every salesman gets annoying, but I think I'll manage (helps to know a little Mandarin -- it'd be nicer if I knew Canto tho!). ;)

Back