Do you remember your first ever PC?

120MHz Pentium, some Ali chipset with a 32bit memory bus (!!!). Avance logic 2302 (broken) graphics card. The box it came in said "Made in China", back then manufacturing in China implied dodgy crap. The craptastic hardware (except for the CPU) is what have made me build my own PCs ever since.

Cheers

Can't remember when but it was a DX4-100, 16MB, Adaptec SCSI + fairly small HDD, Plextor SCSI CD burner and.....not sure what 2D card. First and only PC that I ever bought, rather than put together myself.

Is this thread specifically about an IBM-clone or is it your first PC?

If the latter, then I've answered in this thread and it was one of these:
vip.jpg
:)

Is this thread specifically about an IBM-clone or is it your first PC?
It was intended to be specifically about your first IBM-compatible PC clone, yes. :) You know, the ubiquitous, all-powerful hodgepodge of archaic hardware, buses, registers and doodads that we all love to hate...

Hey Simon, that looks like my bro's old ELF II! :D

X1535-98.01.01.lg.jpg

anyway after 9 months of living on £5 a week I put it together and it didnt work, I could of cried
turned out to be a wrong jumper setting
That happened to me on my first PC build too, I was up for 18 hours until I finally got it to boot. :LOL:

Insanely happy memories. :)

That happened to me on my first PC build too, I was up for 18 hours until I finally got it to boot. :LOL:

Insanely happy memories. :)

Heh, the first one I actually built myself was started due to some guy coming into the pizza shop that I worked at offering to sell MB's.

Got into a discussion he said it was easy and thus I embarked on my adventure of building my first PC. Learned the joys of shopping in Computer Shopper. :) Man that thing used to be HUGE.

Regards,
SB

Yes, I do remember it. I bought it in 1992 and it had Intel 486DX 50MHz, Trident 1MB VGA, 4MB of RAM, 120MB HDD, 14" VGA monitor, a floppy drive and MS-DOS 3.x/4DOS. My precious. The fastest machine in my neighbourhood. Run Wolfenstein 3D smooth as silk!

EDIT: My first home computer was the legendary VIC-20. Bought by my parents in 1982.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, so we're talking x86 "PCs" not simply computers?
I probably built and sold well over 1,000 clones before I ever owned one. Through the early days of PCs (86, 286, 386, 486) I ran Unix boxes and Macs while working in a computer store for a couple of those years building, selling and installing PCs. I didn't actually buy a PeeCee for myself until after I'd had several Unix boxes at home. My first was a 400 MHz Pentium with a TNT and a Voodoo2. I played HL1 on that beast before upgrading it to a Pentium 600 that was Oc'd to 800 MHz.

Twas a 286. Not sure if it was 12 or 16 MHz. It had a whopping 1MB of memory, and a 256KB VGA card. Hard drive was 40 MB, which was setup into 2x 20MB partitions. We were like OMG wow when we noticed that there was a D: when we filled up C:. It also had both 5 1/4" and 3 1/2" disk drives. Amazing stuff, and cost just shy of 4 and a half thousand dollars.

Funny thing of course, in the 20 or so years that has passed since getting that machine, I can trace all the upgrades done to it, to the machine I am using now. I have not actually purchased an entirely new computer for myself to use. There has always been carry over components.

I messed around with Apple IIs in grade school and my parents eventually got a Tandy 1000TX for home (a 286 XT essentially but with fairly amazing sound and video).

I thought the Apple IIgs was a spiffy box. Used CDROM for the first time on one of those. I had a friend with one and used them at school. As you may be aware, in the USA Apple has had control of the public schools for like decades. Almost all of my experience with their stuff is because of that. So I was a combo PC and Apple guy until I got out of high school. From Apple IIs to the first PowerPC Macs still on System 7.5.x and almost everything in between.

At college the only Macs were in the liberal arts area and I instead got familiarized with much cooler stuff like Sun workstations. :D They had a SGI Indy (or was it an Indigo...) around too but I never found it....

I still have a special place in my heart for the classic Apples and Macs. Not much into the newer ones though as they've lost their mysteriousness now that they are just Intel hardware too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not actually purchased an entirely new computer for myself to use. There has always been carry over components.
I have had essentially three generations of DIY PCs myself, built using various bits of carry-over stuff, except there were three generations of Dell ready-built PCs inbetween the second and third generation of DIY PC...! :)

I started on C64 in 1992 and then for long time I was using Amiga 1200 with various Turbo cards till 1998.

Then me and my brothers bought first PC which was:
P166MMX oced to 225MHz
32MB SIMM 72pin (2x16MB)
Soyo TX motherboard
1.1GB Seagate slim HDD
PCI S3Virge/DX 2MB VRAM
ProView 15'' CRT
CD-ROM 8x
FDD 1.44MB

All this in MIDI AT tower with 200W PSU :oops:

Then it was just one constant upgrade!
Just to give you some feeling of what I mean:
CPUs:
K6 233MMX, P233MMX, K6-2 266MHz, K6-2 300, K6-2 333, K6-2 350, K6-2 400, K6-III 400, K6-2 500, Celeron 366, Celeron 433, Duron 600, Duron 700, Duron 750, Duron 850, Duron 900, Athlon 900, Athlon 1200, Athlon XP 1600+, Athlon XP 1700+, Athlon XP 2000+, Athlon XP 2200+, Athlon XP Barton 2500+, Athlon XP Barton 2500+ mobile, Athlon XP Barton 3000+, A64 era which I will stop listing at ;)
GPUs:
S3 VirgeGX 4MB, Riva 128 4MB, Riva 128ZX 8MB, Matrox Mystique 4MB, S3 Savage3D 8MB, Riva TNT 16MB, ATi RagePro, S3 Savage4D 16MB, S3 Savage4D 32MB, Riva TNT 2 M64 32MB, Riva TNT 2 32MB, Radeon 7000, GeForce 256 DDR, GeForce 2 MX, Radeon 7500, GF 4 MX440, GF3 Ti500 GS, GF4 Ti4600, Radeon 8500 DDR, Radeon 9000, Radeon 9200 and I will stop before DX9 here :D

Obviously I forgot some of the cards and CPU's but you hopefully get what I mean by constant upgrade :devilish:

Lightman, you're clearly nuts! :D

My vidcards: Aforementioned Tseng ET6000, a little later augmented with a VideoLogic (I think) PowerVR PCX1 board, later replaced with a Matrox M3D PowerVR PCX2 board. It pee'd me off quite a bit these boards ran A LOT slower on my supposedly superior new VIA Apollo MVP3 mobo than the older Intel TX chipset...

Then I replaced the video boards with an AGP 1x monstrosity based on the now VERY obscure Chromatic Researc Mpact 2 "multimedia accelerator". It had 8MB dual-channel 600MHz RDRAM (1.2GB/s theoretically), some basic 3D acceleration which was enough for Final Fantasy 7 and not much more and offered DVD playback in hardware (which did not work on the VIA mobo, instant bluescreen when I tried to run the player software - just more evidence that VIA is complete shite)...

I used the Mpact board for a couple months, then by mistake bought a 64-bit memory bus ATI Rage128 Pro board with 32MB SDRAM on it. Well, I meant to buy a Rage128 Pro board, just not one that had 64-bit memory. :D Still, it was much faster than what I had had before, and it ran DVDs with very low CPU utilization (for the time anyway, about 30% tops). It also ran a decent game of Diablo 2, but could not handle Return to Castle Wolfenstein. In fact, my entire PC was not up to running that game.

Fortunately, I later upgraded in 2001 to a Dell Dimension 8100 box equipped with a P4-1.7GHz and a Geforce 3, which still stands here, in fully working order...! The GF3 was a big upgrade, but Morrowind still made it crawl. :D It later got upgraded to an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with 128MB extremely hot-running DDR memory so I could play Doom3 a bit better, which ALSO chugged on Morrowind I might add! :D

Next PC was a Dell Dimension 5000 bought in 2005 I believe, with BTX mobo, Nvidia 6800/256MB GDDR2 PCI Express graphics, SATA, on-board USB2 and all kinds of fun stuff. It was a great machine, that unfortunately expired on me late last year. PSU gave out most likely, too expensive to repair so I junked it and kept only a few bits and pieces.

Next PC after that, bought in 2008, was a Dell XPS 720 with dual 8800GTX pipes. Damn, those boards are some powerful workhorses! Still a lot of pure grunt left in them...! :D I love them. Excellent image quality too.

My current PC, bought early 2009, is my first self-built box in almost 10 years. It has dual ATI Radeon HD 4890s and they're DAMN fast, but give kinda crap image quality compared to my old 8800s. Yeah, it sucks, but hey, at least they were cheap...! :)

Never had that problem... I wasn't that much into the X-Wing series. I do remember though that when you reached 386-50MHz, Wing Commander started to run uncomfortably fast. It didn't handle fast CPUs very graciously. ("Fast" being a relative term here obviously. :p)

Back