High Res Ninja Gaiden Sigma Pics = wow

That's a bit silly... But it's politics so i understand.

It would be much easier to just have one game in development, one set of artistic resources, and developing it for both consoles at the same time, than having 2 different games.
As Itagaki explains, only XB360 has the power to realise his visions. If they were to create a PS3 version, they'd need to go to so much effort to downgrade all the art assets to fit onto that under-powered hardware that it'd cost a lot and just look a mess by comparison. PS3's okay for spruced up ports of last-gen games, but can't handle real next-gen games.

:LOL:

It would be much easier to just have one game in development, one set of artistic resources, and developing it for both consoles at the same time, than having 2 different games.

Hm... well I get the impression that "Every iteration is the best iteration", from their standpoint, and they'd rather have one team per project (there are three teams at Team Ninja). Since the MS group already got 2 NJ iterations, I figure they wanted the next Xbox showing to be something better than just a very good port. :p

Still is a second-tier fighter with no hope of competing with Tekken! Heck it's not even "second" if you look at all the amazing fighting games available, not only Tekken but Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur too.

But what does that have to do with Ninja Gaiden?

Are you saying that NG is also a "second tier game" with no hope of competing with games like GOW or even DMC? I'm not sure i'd agree with that.

I am saying there is a history of strong support for everything Team Ninja on the Xbox while they've been shunned by Sony fans. It shouldn't take a college degree to figure out which system they are going to give strong support to in the future.

When trying to determine which system should get the bulk of future support it's a simple question of "which system has my past games sold best on?" And the answer isn't a system made by Sony.

Well if that's what you meant it certainly was worded strangely.

What is "amazing" about the sales of VF, Tekken or Soul Calibur? DOA3 has outsold Tekken and VF in case you didn't know.

And I stand by my point, saying DOA can't compete with Tekken is bull**** even when sales are concerned.

The point of the discussion was that it sold so well because on Xbox you don't have Tekken and VF.

Obviously 3 very high profile fighters will sell less individually on one console than 1 fighter on another console.

If DOA was sold on PS2 and was added to the already crowded library of fighters on that platform, it would not have sold as much as it did on Xbox, where it had virtually NO competiton for a long time as a fighting game.

On Xbox, if you wanted a fighting game, you HAD to get DOA. On PS2, you had a choice and obviously, individually these games can sell less than they could without competition.

The point of the discussion was that it sold so well because on Xbox you don't have Tekken and VF.

Obviously 3 very high profile fighters will sell less individually on one console than 1 fighter on another console.

If DOA was sold on PS2 and was added to the already crowded library of fighters on that platform, it would not have sold as much as it did on Xbox, where it had virtually NO competiton for a long time.

On Xbox, if you wanted a fighting game, you HAD to get DOA. On PS2, you had a choice and obviously, individually these games can sell less than they could without competition.

Well one could argue that since PS2 has more 3D fighters there's a bigger market for them on the console. Not to mention the 5 to 1 install base compared to Xbox. And yet and still DOA3 still outsold Tekken and VF. So yes both critically and commerically DOA has proven it can compete.

We were talking about sales here.

The discussion was about the way DOA games would sell on PS2 hardware (considering the competition they face in the form of Tekken, VF and SC all together) instead of Xbox, which only had SC. Not the quality of the game itself, which is a personal view you shouldn't really comment on.

It seems quite obvious if you read the posts Powerkeg and I did.

Really? It sure seemed like a critique on the quality of game and not sales. Otherwise you wouldn't have brought up SC, which didn't sell anywhere near as well as DOA3 did on the Xbox. Heck, if you took all 3 console versions of SC2 combined it just barely outsold DOA3.

If DOA was sold on PS2 and was added to the already crowded library of fighters on that platform, it would not have sold as much as it did on Xbox, where it had virtually NO competiton for a long time as a fighting game.

Think so?

Tell me, what were the sales figures of DOA2:Hardcore on the PS2, and what other fighters was it competing against at the same time?

You can't blame low sales of DOA on the PS2 on an overcrowded library of fighters.

Wait a second... How much did DOA3 sell? Cause i must be remembering a very different figure than reality... :oops: I thought it never even reached 1M copies...

Well one could argue that since PS2 has more 3D fighters there's a bigger market for them on the console. Not to mention the 5 to 1 install base compared to Xbox. And yet and still DOA3 still outsold Tekken and VF. So yes both critically and commerically DOA has proven it can compete.

What are the actual sales numbers for these titles? As to whether DOA can compete commercially, I think London's very point was that it would face stiffer competition on the PS2, therefore sales would likely be better on the XBox. That doesn't change its commercial success (or lack there of, since we don't have the numbers yet), of course, in terms of sales numbers. A good comparison would be DOA2 Hardcore's sales vs Tekken Tag's (both came out around the same time). Looking at Soul Calipers multiplatform sales might also give some insight into the subject of how competition may effect sales.

EDIT

Ah, I see everyone beat me to the punch. ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the actual sales numbers for these titles? As to whether DOA can compete commercially, I think London's very point was that it would face stiffer competition on the PS2, therefore sales would likely be better on the XBox. That doesn't change its commercial success (or lack there of, since we don't have the numbers yet), of course, in terms of sales numbers. A good comparison would be DOA2 Extreme's sales vs Tekkan Tag's (both came out around the same time). Looking at Soul Calipers multiplatform sales might also give some insight into the subject of how competition may effect sales.

EDIT

Ah, I see everyone beat me to the punch. ^^

That wouldn't work either because DOA2 had already sold close to a million on Dreamcast.

and let's not forget how horrible both SC3 and Tekken 5 performed at retail despite ps2 huge userbase.

Well i think that only makes my point stronger. By the time those 2 came out, there were 3 Tekkens, 2 Virtua Fighters and 1 Soul Calibur on PS2 alone. That's 6 fighters, 8 with Tekken5 and SC3!!! Campared to DOA3 which was all alone for more than a year. Unless you count one or two silly fighting games Xbox got that we shouldn't mention here or our IQ would go down of a few points.

I'm not surprised that T5 and SC3 sold so poorly.

Personally i think the reason is that the platform was already flooded with so many fighting games that people just weren't interested anymore.

Which makes my point stronger, that if DOA was on PS2, it would not sell as well as on a console where it would be the only fighter for a long time (until SC2 came out on Xbox).

If i'm wrong, i'm wrong, but i just think that strong sales of DOA3 (whatever the figures are) and low sales of all the fighters on PS2 is quite strong evidence to my theory.

That wouldn't work either because DOA2 had already sold close to a million on Dreamcast.

I don't fully understand what effect that would have on the data. :?: DOA2 Hardcore sales only, not all of DOA2 sales. Or is there some other element you're eluding to?

Not too bad for a PS3 game!

It's so generous of Itagaki to do this port for PS3 fans. Practically mercifull. The man is a saint! He loveth his enemies.

It's so generous of Itagaki to do this port for PS3 fans. Practically mercifull. The man is a saint! He loveth his enemies.

I don't understand why there's so much hatred around here. If you like the game buy it; if you don't, then don't. Itagaki's comments have nothing to do with the game.

http://www.gfdata.de/archiv10-2006-gamefront/2307.html

This game is going to kick so much ass. :smile:

holly spandex, batman!
when will those guys step up from the inflatable dolls in spandex? no, inflatabale dolls in spandex in 1080p does not cut it.

as about those comments that DOA sold better/on-par with the purebred fighters out there - what do you expect? - there're more pimply male teens out there than there are fighter genre connoisseurs, so i see nothing amazing in this. generally DOA has as much fighter-genre appeal as a roadkill. which is no surprise given how much efforts TN spent for the wobbling simulations, and how much for the game mechanics.

Back