Help with my cd burner

Idnewf

Newcomer
Hi I have a msi dragonwriter (48x16x48x) and my problem is that lately anytime I try and burn above 16x I get "no seek complete" in nero. I have the latest firmware update and the latest version of nero. I have also tried different media, cleaning the burner, different software (roxio), and even tried it in my other computer. The dma settings are fine and I have the latest via drivers as well, even tried reverting back to older via drivers. The drive worked fine for about five months but now for the past four weeks I can't burn any faster then 16x. Anyone know whats wrong with this thing and if I can fix it? Sending it in for a rma isn't gonna happen, as I would have to mail it to california and I live in alberta, canada, so it would cost as much to ship it as I paid for the drive. Hope someone can give me some advice, Thanks :)

I was having that problem too with my sony drive. I'd reboot and burn a cd first thing and it worked fine. A fresh install of windows xp and everything fixed it .

Hi there

At work we used a lot of those drives but even though MSI make great motherboards and graphics cards most of the time they got their burners wrong. Poor quality, wont let you do a lot of things, are very bad to sued with Ghost and we have had a fair few returns.

End result is that we stopped using them in system builds.

The reinstall of xp didn't work, I thought it was going to (I burnt two cd's at higher speeds then 16x) but then it went back to "no seek complete". Unfortunely I think Tahir is right the drive is a piece of junk, and trying to get a response outta msi just dosen't seem like it's gonna happen. Thanks for the advice though.

Idnewf said:
The reinstall of xp didn't work, I thought it was going to (I burnt two cd's at higher speeds then 16x) but then it went back to "no seek complete". Unfortunely I think Tahir is right the drive is a piece of junk, and trying to get a response outta msi just dosen't seem like it's gonna happen. Thanks for the advice though.

sorry it didn't work . Did you try burning when you first restart your pc ?

Idnewf said:
Ya burning after restart is a hit and miss situation, mostly miss though. :cry:
sorry man. Btw what cpu are you using . I noticed that my sony drive (which i now replaced with a tdec 52x rewrite) It would take up all my cpu resources .

It's an xp1700. And I didn't have that problem, mine used at most 10-12% and that was a spiking if I was doing something else like surfing.

ah okay. Well i'm really sorry but new egg has 52 speed drives for 50 bucks. So its not to bad .

Back