HD DVD lost... It's official

Well it truly is the end. Too bad my film wont be coming out with the Microsoft 1000 HD-DVD indies program :(

The LG GGW-H20L can be bought for for $360ish and it burns the dual-layer 50GB discs too.

Heh... I live in the second biggest city in Australia and dual layer DVD's still aren't available in 98% of computer stores. Burners are, but not writeable discs :( It's single layer or bust.

It's comical thinking that I'll likely be able to get dual layer BR's before DVD's :p

I have to agree. *shrugs* oh well.

I will wait before taking up Blu though. Don't want to get burned twice in case downloads take over.

It seemed better for businesses too. There seemed to be less cost in converting from DVD to HDDVD production than from DVD to bluray. Then again, DVD demand isn't going to die anytime soon anyway.

Regardless of which platform was better, it's way better to have just one instead of two...

The only problem I have with Blu-ray is the region protection.

Regardless of which platform was better, it's way better to have just one instead of two...

The only problem I have with Blu-ray is the region protection.

That's not a problem with bluray though, but with the studios that are requiring it. Not all of them do, and so not all bluray discs have it implemented. Those studios that do want it probably would have managed to convince HD DVD to implement it as well, I'm guessing.

The LG GGW-H20L can be bought for for $360ish and it burns the dual-layer 50GB discs too.
I checked, and yes, it's only 270 Euro! Quite nice. Now only to wait until a single, single-layer disk becomes cheaper than 20 Euro ($30)...

Back