Hd-a2 $98.87

I do wonder how these guys are making much money on this stuff, even per unit (i.e. ignore the low volume compared to DVD).

We have about 15 B-r titles and another 5 on order (the Harry Potter set for Dec 13th). Sounds pretty good for B-r studios, right? Well, 5 of those were free, and another 6 were "buy one get one", in other words 1/2 price. So more than 1/2 of what we own (or will shortly in the case of the HP) were either free or deeply discounted.

I bought the A2 a few months ago for $240 from Amazon, still haven't received my 5 rebate movies, and have purchased only one HD DVD, so I guess I'm one of the cheap buyers. Got a pretty solid list in my Amazon Wish List, though, if that helps. :/

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...e_Player_Sales_Nearing_500,000_Milestone/1156

Format backers say the total number of standalone HD DVD players sold is poised to hit the 500,000 mark by late November.

That's according to a report published late Thursday by Home Media Magazine, which places the current total household penetration for HD DVD standalones at about 420,000 units.

This news comes on the heels of reports earlier this week that roughly 90,000 HD DVD standalones were sold last weekend alone, following highly-publicized price drops for Toshiba's HD-A2 HD DVD player.

So 20%+ of all the HD DVD players ever sold were sold last Friday? Whee. :LOL:

Tho I wonder if they've included the xbox HD DVD player as "standalone"? Probably not, huh?

Tho I wonder if they've included the xbox HD DVD player as "standalone"? Probably not, huh?
It's not. MS haven't revealed an exact number as far as I've seen, but last week they were on the record stating that it has sold notably better than all Blu-ray standalones combined.

They didn't dump it anywhere they had it. They just didn't expand distribution outside of their highest volume (250?) stores. . . which they did do with B-r.
Incidentally, I went into my local Blockbuster yesterday and noticed they now had signs up for both HD DVD and Blu-ray rental. I'm fairly sure these signs were new and I know I couldn't find any of the HD discs in this store at around the time of the annoucement.

I'm wondering if the Blu ray thing was specific to the US only or whether they have wobbled on the stance following Paramounts decision.

Incidentally, I went into my local Blockbuster yesterday and noticed they now had signs up for both HD DVD and Blu-ray rental. I'm fairly sure these signs were new and I know I couldn't find any of the HD discs in this store at around the time of the annoucement.

I'm wondering if the Blu ray thing was specific to the US only or whether they have wobbled on the stance following Paramounts decision.

The announcement only affected Blockbuster owned stores, so your local one might just be a franchise. (if I understand it correctly)

Since we got Comcast on-demand I haven't been in a Blockbuster or Hollywood Video. The HD selection isn't terrific, but is steadily getting better, and the non-HD gets us by when they don't have the HD version.

Back