Hauppauge PVR-150 Issue

Skrying

S K R Y I N G
Veteran
just bought the PVR-150 tonight. I've got it installed in my system and all the drivers and programs that come with it. But I'm having a major issue:

I cant get anything to show up and also no audio. I have DirecTV, and I've tried using the coaxle cable, S-Video, and component to no luck with any of them.

I really need some help here, I've tried the PVR-150 in several differetn PCI slots and reinstalled the drivers several times now.

Ok, how are you trying to watch it? I'm assuming DirectTV has it's own decoder/tuner box and you're just trying to feed the signal to the PVR-150's channel 3 or 4.

What app are you running for the TV on your PC?

Also, you did remember to run a cable from your sound-out on your TV card to the sound-in on your soundcard....right? ;)

Well, I got it working. I was trying to use the included, as usual crap, software. So I downloaded the trail of Beyond TV really quick and it worked easily enough.

As for the audio thing. The PVR-150 doesnt have an audio out, only a line in for audio, which is how I'm assuming you get audio when using S-Video (which is what I'm using right now). Now how ever you get audio from the Direct TV set top box is beyond me at this point, got a major headache from it all, so if someone could just point me into the quick direction that'd be great.

Ok, according to the quickstart guide it says you should have a right and left in....but I don't see one on the card either:

pvr150-250_ep_sm.jpg

My best guess would be that line in is mislabeled and is really a line out. Have you tried hooking it up to a line in on your soundcard?

Wait a tic, did you say you had your Dtv hooked up thru the S-video?

Forget everything I just said, I was wrong. :oops:

Try hooking up your Dtv thru the coax, it'll carry the sound that way too.

How is audio even getting to the card? S-Video, at least from my knowledge, does not transmit audio. So I dont see how it would even get audio.

There's supposed to be some plug that connects the line in (I think it is supposed to be called line out) to the line in on your sound card... that's generally how the audio is connected (I had an ATI TV Wonder VE and am currently using an ATI TV Wonder Pro now) and that's how it should work...

The TV software should allow you to get the audio feed from the Line-In on your sound card... it should work for the most part (assuming the TV software also supports your TV card's audio hardware, which you should try to verify that support).

Last edited by a moderator:
Skrying said:
How is audio even getting to the card? S-Video, at least from my knowledge, does not transmit audio. So I dont see how it would even get audio.
It doesn't, we must have crossposted. :oops:

If your Dtv has an S-video out than it should have a sound-out too, look for it. Probably a set of red/white rca jacks.

Yep. I'm being dumb tonight (you know, one of those great days that turn to utter crap!) and didnt really think.

So all I have to do is take a trip to Radioshack tomorrow and buy a RCA to 1/8" adapter tomorrow and maybe a few extention cables, but it should be all good come this weekend.

Thanks for the help guys.

digitalwanderer said:
Ok, according to the quickstart guide it says you should have a right and left in....but I don't see one on the card either:

My best guess would be that line in is mislabeled and is really a line out. Have you tried hooking it up to a line in on your soundcard?

No, it is indeed line in (stereo). There is no line out here, audio goes over PCI-bus.

digitalwanderer said:
Ah, thanks....I'm still using the old fashioned kind of TV tuner card I guess. :oops:

Nothing to do with old-fashioned, it's just up to the manufacturer (costs and all). Terratec for example still uses external line-out even in their newest cards, and these are in no way old-fashioned.

That being said, I also have the problem with no picture/sound after I installed my PVR-250 in my SFF, but I haven't had time to look into it.

_xxx_ said:
That being said, I also have the problem with no picture/sound after I installed my PVR-250 in my SFF, but I haven't had time to look into it.

No idea if this helps you any. But my video/audio didnt work at all till I got Beyond TV. Beyond TV costs money (I'm using the trial version right now) but I think I may buy it unless I find some good free software. Right now its working really well.

I got a RCA to 1/8" adapter at Radioshack today, I still have to get some extended S-Video and RCA cables in order to be able to really move around my DirecTV reciever but its nice to know that the card works fine and looks great.

Back