Has anyone any experience with the Pebble watch?

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
I'm thinking of getting myself one of these - because I love tech, and it's a neat piece of tech, and I don't have a watch anymore since about two years now (it got stolen), and it performs some useful functions such as telling time (ehhh), letting me change music tracks and so on.

Still, it does cost money, so I was thinking maybe I should check around some first. There's google, but I'd probably end up somewhere I don't know any of the people so their advice would be less valuable. :)

So... Any input would be appreciated. I'd be pairing it up with an iphone, by the way.

my gf has it , was part of the kickstarter. She connects it to a note 2. To be honest , she only uses it at work (She is a teacher) for emergency messages since she can't use her phone in front of 7th graders. Otherwise she barely wears it outside of that.

I found out via the Ars Technica review that the front glass - which is actually plastic - scratches easily, so that clinches it. No pebble for me, or at least not until they revise their product. Not spending $150 on a plastic glass watch.

Apple, ride to my rescue with your aluminium and sapphire (which is also aluminium actually...)! :LOL: (But don't make the armband out of metal links, because that pinches the hairs on my arm and I really REALLY hate that.)

The nano won't interface with my iphone, or run Spotify. That'd be the whole point of having a "smart" watch, if I just want a digital watch I could go out and buy anything in any number of stores.

Probably best to wait for Apple to bring back the 6th gen nano but with "smart watch" features. Pretty sure they're working on something like that right now. It's a no brainer and the time (pun intended) is right.

That's what I'm kind of hoping, but current rumors are saying november '14, which is a ways off. :(

I'm thinking of getting myself one of these - because I love tech, and it's a neat piece of tech, and I don't have a watch anymore since about two years now (it got stolen), and it performs some useful functions such as telling time (ehhh), letting me change music tracks and so on.

Still, it does cost money, so I was thinking maybe I should check around some first. There's google, but I'd probably end up somewhere I don't know any of the people so their advice would be less valuable. :)

So... Any input would be appreciated. I'd be pairing it up with an iphone, by the way.

I have the kickstarter edition. Biggest turnoff is battery.. Hehe, yep another device you need to charge. Besides that I am fairly pleased, it might scratch easily, so far nothing on mine, but plenty on my gorilla glas phones. Best feature for me is without a doubt music control. I can step through my playlist without having to touch my phone and looking at the watch. When I ride my bike that is a big big plus. Basically anything that I can fix just by looking at my watch instead of my phone is a plus. The looks are pretty much divided into holy shit that is cool and Ehmmmmm.. Personally I like the smaller size and somewhat retro sci-fi look over the current alfa male style on your wrist with a giant watch fashion.

And it's independent :)

Probably best to wait for Apple to bring back the 6th gen nano but with "smart watch" features. Pretty sure they're working on something like that right now. It's a no brainer and the time (pun intended) is right.

my guess is that Apple is waiting for technology to be able to provide a smart watch experience that meets their minimum usability standards.

What I hope to see in a serious smartwatch contender:
- colour e-ink screen
- super-low-leakage cpu (something like Intel's near-threshold voltage processor)
- wireless charging or charging-as-you-walk (such as seiko kinetic, or with translucent photovoltaic cell coating on its screen)

With, as a result, very long battery life (i.e. minimum 1 week, preferably 'infinite' using one of the mentioned constant charging methods).

I'm surprised any non-geek would even consider smartwatches that need to be charged more than once a week... on the other hand, I'm surprised that people are willing to have a smartphone that needs to be charged more than once a week. Personally I can't wait for e-ink phones with 7-day+ battery life to appear...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back