Happy Easter guys

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
I got more chocolates today. :D

Also what is vector calculus used for?
That's in my next chapter of my book but I'm close by.
If anyone can tell me what it's used for I'd be happy.
Also why would someone use function space for?

Easter? Oeufjour!

Aha! My Oeufjour thread at EB was much better than yours! MWahaahaha

You didn't even mention the Overlords!

Hey, Geo was saying the other day how he'd never seen you and me in the same room at the same time before. Although it's freaky how he might have seen either of us in any room! I've been keeping my curtains locked since then. :p

Edit: Oh, Happy Easter everyone! :D

K.I.L.E.R said:
Where?
Quantum mechanics?

yeah, anything involving fields, waves, those sorts of things.

Will it help me in my computer graphics studies?

Depends what you mean by "computer graphics", it's a pretty broad term.

I doubt it'll be much use for the pure rendering side of things, but if you're wanting to do physics-like effects in your graphics engine then it may be useful (fluid dynamics, for example).

K.I.L.E.R said:
By string theory doesn't everything fall under "waves"?

Depends on your POV/definition/application as always. You use certain frames which suit the work, so you surely won't calculate linear acceleration (kinematics) with waves 'cause it's inpractical. Just don't let anything push you into too complicated thinking and viewing things, that only cripples everything.

by waves, think light, EM fields. no need for exotic physics (quantum, strings, even Enstein stuff) to use vectors ; Newton, Maxwell etc., that is physics from 17th or 19th century, are enough I guess.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Wave theory holds true for strings, to a point.

Yes - except they're not actual strings, you realise. Either way, feel free to do as much 26-way multivariate calculus as you like.

I would have assumed that partial differential eqs and statistics are more important for string theorists. Moreover, having a brain the size of a small village.

I got £50, some creme eggs and a Pez dispenser with ten refills. Just like Jesus.

Vector calculus is incredibly useful for describing anything in more than one dimension. In physics, it's used heavily in pretty much every physics class past the "Physics for bio majors" classes, including Newtonian mechanics, electrodynamics, quantum mechanics, and so on.

Back