Hands-on with Revolution in the next GameInformer - Ubisoft's Red Steel, aka "Katana"

is there any multiplayer announced so far? i'd love to play Red Steel in vs mode with this control scheme. not that it'd be totally realistic but at least would be a bold step up - i'm tired of playing FPS' against desktop maniacs who in real life can't hit an elephant sitting still sideways at 10m distance.

darkblu said:
is there any multiplayer announced so far? i'd love to play Red Steel in vs mode with this control scheme. not that it'd be totally realistic but at least would be a bold step up - i'm tired of playing FPS' against desktop maniacs who in real life can't hit an elephant sitting still sideways at 10m distance.
Up to four people can play split-screen. No announcement of online play, yet, as Nintendo still hasn't revealed the online strategy.

They've made mentions of some unique multiplayer modes as well, although we have yet to find out through their announcements.

Some newer(bigger and better) scans of the mag now show that the graphics are comparable to that of DOA4s (at least from what my eyes can tell now).

Reading the text is interesting. The more I hear what they're doing with it, the more excited I am about the game.

A little update on the katana: Yes, you are able to swing the katana freely in any direction you wish, but you need gestures in order to pull off "sword combos" which do special attacks.

sfried said:
A little update on the katana: Yes, you are able to swing the katana freely in any direction you wish, but you need gestures in order to pull off "sword combos" which do special attacks.
So you need to gesture to the TV to be good.
I thought Nintendo was aiming for a more family friendly approach...

sfried said:

:D , seems that there will be a lot more happy gamers :D

Now I am even more interested in this game.

sfried said:
Some newer(bigger and better) scans of the mag now show that the graphics are comparable to that of DOA4s (at least from what my eyes can tell now).

Reading the text is interesting. The more I hear what they're doing with it, the more excited I am about the game.

How new are those new scans? I saw some big scans recently but I'm wondering if the ones your talking about are even newer.

What's up, nerds, just got my new GI in the mail yesterday. First, those screens are definitely not concept art. Not that people here were doubting, but you can clearly see that they're rendered images (polygon edges, a few low-res textures, etc). In glossy high-fidelity, they do look very "supercharged Gamecube." If they're target renders, they're not very ambitious. I expect that they are in-engine. I do see a few nice soft shadows from moving objects (result of a touch-up? Or real?), and people have already commented on the nice lighting tricks in a few scenes. For one thing, I"m not seeing any Gouraud artificats, so maybe there is an updated fully programmable pixel pipeline. I do think that the characters could use some normal mapping, but polygon budgets are increased, so everyone's fingers are fully articulated (but no 3D fingernails, so some people will be disappointed), and faces look much nicer than most current-gen titles. The particles look okay, but nothing really beyond what we've already seen. It's got a heck of a lot more shine than any cross-platform game, thought.

fearsomepirate said:
For one thing, I"m not seeing any Gouraud artificats, so maybe there is an updated fully programmable pixel pipeline.

Per pixel lightning? If so, to do that, it would really be needed a update in the Tev to a fully programmable pixel pipeline (isnt TEV supossed to be able to do that, if the raw power is enought?)?

pc999 said:
Per pixel lightning? If so, to do that, it would really be needed a update in the Tev to a fully programmable pixel pipeline (isnt TEV supossed to be able to do that, if the raw power is enought?)?

it's not necessary for the Hollywood to be fully progamabe - all it takes for per-pixel lighting is a dot3 combiner op and cubemaps. but that's just if you want to be reasonable, i.e. if you don't have tons of fillrate and trisetup rate to burn. if you do, though, you can go with a voodoo-level functionality and still get per-pixel lighting. but that'd be unreasonable ; )

Thanks, that is +/- what I thought.

Still it is a petty that for all we new Rev is just a slight updated GC.

pc999 said:
Thanks, that is +/- what I thought.

Still it is a petty that for all we new Rev is just a slight updated GC.

What were you expecting? Something with the power of the 360 or PS3 in that tiny little case with no real air flow fo under $200?

The size and price range alone should have been a big tip-off that it was going to be well behind the competition.

This is OT, but I will repeat myself again:

Better than GC can be diferent than XB360/PS3 like (even at 480p).

Even if they put a X1300 or maybe even a X1600 would not be in par with those, but it would be much more powerfull than this.

Anyway a second generation Gekko/Flipper (ie, thinghs like VMX and/or dualcore, expanded TEV more hard wired fxs ...) would be very nice, probably giving much better games and gfx and still keep this very cheap/cool, that would let me(we) happy and still alot behind the competition. (and BTW I really like that the price will be (from IGN devs) between 99$-199$)

Still, like I posted in a previus post, meybe it is better than that, but they had little time with the near final SDKs (which are he only ones that brings chips that resemble to Rev HW).

The article also said that Ubi did a lot of initial work on Gamecube development kits. I wonder how much first-gen titles will differ from 2nd and 3rd gen. If it's "slightly updated Flipper," I'd expect the capabilities to be maxed by launch-window titles. If it's "significantly updated Flipper," then we can expect to a few new tricks along the way, since it won't be hindered by having the PS2 as the lead SKU for its games.

I'm just not enough of an expert to say if the lighting is really per-pixel or not. I've seen some amazing stuff pulled of with Gouraud shading (such as every Jade engine game), but it just looks to smooth and curvy to be Gouraud. I wonder if they hardwired per-pixel sighting into the chip?

Last edited by a moderator:
sfried said:
Very good to hear. :D

fearsomepirate said:
The article also said that Ubi did a lot of initial work on Gamecube development kits.

That would be what one would expect, if it is indeed a "nicely" updated/graded GC, it will be interesting to se who they will improve, after all in GC it as realtively easy.

Back