Hands-on with Revolution in the next GameInformer - Ubisoft's Red Steel, aka "Katana"

Titanio

Legend
Finally..I'm looking forward to reading this :)

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200604/N06.0407.1251.24078.htm

After months of waiting, Game Informer Magazine is proud to present the world exclusive first look at a game for the Nintendo Revolution.

But not just any game. Red Steel comes from the Ubisoft Paris team, which is comprised of industry veterans who worked on franchises like Prince of Persia, Far Cry Instincts, Ghost Recon, and Splinter Cell.

What kind of game is it? What is it about?

You’ll have to wait till the magazine hits the streets to find out. We answer these simple questions and many more in our eleven-page hands-on report. Look out for massive screenshots side by side with pictures of gamers actually demonstrating what you'll do with the Revolution remote.

In addition, we have an in-depth interview with Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Marketing and Corporate Communications George Harrison, in which we poke and prod him about Nintendo’s upcoming console.

coverforstory.jpg

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait to finally recieve some information on how the Rev will be used for games. Hopefully this will shut some haters up :)

Well, that issue is going to be interesting. Probably it'll sell quite well, I suppose :p

Ok, that was REAL quick. There are kind of small photos of the issue up on the web. I must say, it looks quite nice, better than I might have expected.

It's a FPS, but with swords also, seemingly. Rotate the Revmote, rotate the gun is one the screenshot/photo examples. Red Steel would seem to be an appropriate name - it's colourful, with a strong red flavour, but in the same way something like Rainbow Six: Vegas is colourful. It's colourful, but mature looking.

Titanio said:
Ok, that was REAL quick. There are kind of small photos of the issue up on the web. I must say, it looks quite nice, better than I might have expected.

It's a FPS, but with swords also, seemingly. Rotate the Revmote, rotate the gun is one the screenshot/photo examples. Red Steel would seem to be an appropriate name - it's colourful, with a strong red flavour, but in the same way something like Rainbow Six: Vegas is colourful. It's colourful, but mature looking.

Sounds really nice. Rev remote and sword wielding :p Anyway, how do the gfx look?

hupfinsgack said:
Sounds really nice. Rev remote and sword wielding :p Anyway, how do the gfx look?

Very respectable. It's always hard to tell with photos/scans, but I'm surprised by how it looks.

It's hard to tell from the low-quality pics. If you didn't know, though, you might think it was a 360 game. I don't know why people keep believing Matt's fake specs.

If the pictures are indeed from the Revolution, then I must say that it looks quite good.

Of course, it's better to wait for framebuffer grabs before passing any serious judgement.
Nevertheless, so far, it looks good.

hupfinsgack said:
So better than 2xgc?

That's a very difficult thing to quantify ;) I'd say beyond current-gen. You can see they're doing some clever things, there's a lot of "reptition" shall we say, in one picture, but it's a judicious use of what they have to work with I think.

Branduil said:
It's hard to tell from the low-quality pics. If you didn't know, though, you might think it was a 360 game. I don't know why people keep believing Matt's fake specs.

Why do the specs even matter aslong as it can hold it's on graphically? Fake or not, the games appear to look very good and that's what's most important.

The article apparently talks a bit about Nintendo's involvement in the game - they did appear to collaborate a little. After Ubi came up with the concepts and ideas for the game, they went to Iwata and Miyamoto about it.

There's all sorts of talk going around about the screenshots, being everything from target renders to "touched up". The latter is very possible, but I certainly don't think they're targets.

Titanio said:
The article apparently talks a bit about Nintendo's involvement in the game - they did appear to collaborate a little. After Ubi came up with the concepts and ideas for the game, they went to Iwata and Miyamoto about it.

I remember quite a few interview where Nintendo representatives (Miyamoto, Fils-Aimee, etc.) mentioned that Nintendo was acitvely trying to help developers to incorporate their Revolutions ideas into gameplay. So I could imagine them giving a few hints to the more prominent devs and publishers.

The game looks quite nice.Of course magazine scans usually hide the some graphical flaws.It kind of looks like a SD version of Condemned without the crazy lighting.

There's talk on other forums that the game might be on rails,please let this not be true.

It does have RE4 like lightning, looks nice IMO, if this will be the norm/standard then future may be good for Rev gfx, it seems it will have some nice fxs (in the case explosions) too.

BTW how many images there is, it is only 3?

fulcizombie said:
The game looks quite nice.Of course magazine scans usually hide the some graphical flaws.It kind of looks like a SD version of Condemned without the crazy lighting.

There's talk on other forums that the game might be on rails,please let this not be true.

After glancing over the scans I've to say they look a lot better than expected. Anyway, Red Steel is probably not on rails as you can see the players holding the nunchako (sp?) extension in their other hand.

From the blog the pics were originally posted on:

holy crap, my blog has gotten 10,000 hits since i posted those scans. anyways, i just finished reading the actual article in game informer, and it says that the sword and guns can be twisted in your hand, by twisting the rev's remote. so you can shoot gangster style and block with the sword. also, there is split screen and online multiplayer planned, just no details yet. you can also jump over and take cover behind objects by moving the rev's remote towards a upturned table or a wall, and reload by pulling the remote back. by the way, they are ingame screenshots. this game is looking fucking hot as hell.

Back