Hands-on with Revolution in the next GameInformer - Ubisoft's Red Steel, aka "Katana"

Powderkeg said:
What were you expecting? Something with the power of the 360 or PS3 in that tiny little case with no real air flow fo under $200?

The size and price range alone should have been a big tip-off that it was going to be well behind the competition.

Its been a good 5 maybe 6 years since the gamecube was conceived...and it ran pretty quiet and pretty cool. How in god's name can a simple overclock be all that Nintendo could have done with the hardware? The thing wouldn't need active cooling, shoot it should keep your drinks cool if you placed them on the console.

NANOTEC said:
Maybe it's phong shading?

the difference between phong and 'per-pixel lighting with normal mapping' is in the participation of normal maps. for both techniques you need a dot3 op in the combiners and cube maps for re-normalisation of the interpolated unit vectors.

I'm starting to wonder if the quickly retracted statement that the base served as a battery might have some merit to it. The PowerPC 750GX (low power version) at 733 MHz (underclocking a 900/1000 MHz chip) draws 6.33 W. This is less than the 750CXe (Flipper) at 466 MHz which draws 7.0 W. The GX is even on a 130 nm process, not the latest and greatest 90 nm.

Keep system power consumption down, and you could practically run it on batteries. Now all it needs is an integrated screen of sorts and it would be completely portable.

OtakingGX said:
Keep system power consumption down, and you could practically run it on batteries. Now all it needs is an integrated screen of sorts and it would be completely portable.

That might be feasible if you could use it has a portable computer, but as a portable game console? Those types of devices never did too well in the past.

OtakingGX said:
Now all it needs is an integrated screen of sorts and it would be completely portable.

A bigger (40"+) version of this;) .(actually as a add on if big, good enought and cheap (less than 100$, this is for cell phones so it should be very cheap anyway) I think it would be a big sucess as many how cant afford a projector and now they could play games and DVDs on a big screen and some of those games should be a blast with a big screen).

fearsomepirate said:
I wonder if they hardwired per-pixel sighting into the chip?

(if significantely improved) It should be very interesting to know, if they did, and what kind of hardwired functions they put on the Rev, even more if they had put any of them that is not for gfx/sound/networking fuctions.

Teasy said:
How new are those new scans? I saw some big scans recently but I'm wondering if the ones your talking about are even newer.

The new scans are the ones where you can actually read whats written in the article...Heck, just get the mag since it's already out.

fearsomepirate said:
It's got a heck of a lot more shine than any cross-platform game, thought.
It's not cross-platform. It's a Revolution exclusive title.

Just to not creat anouther Rev thread...

NIBRIS has officially announced Sadness

...and its going to be in strictly black and white!

Some examples of using the controller – you swing a torch with it to scare the rats off, you slit the throat (controller as a piece of glass of a knife); if you want to climb the wall you will have to hook a rope over the piece of a wall sticking out (controller serving as a lasso).

http://www.n-philes.com/index.php?id=2539

It seems to have some very nice ideas.

sfried said:
It's not cross-platform. It's a Revolution exclusive title.
I didn't say it was cross-platform. Almost all 3rd party releases on Gamecube were cross-platform, which titles sorta define "current-gen" graphics.

sfried said:
The new scans are the ones where you can actually read whats written in the article...Heck, just get the mag since it's already out.

Its out to subscribers but not in stores yet.

The game had quite a big budget, by the way.
A 5.5 from a major site might not please some execs at Ubi this Monday.

By the way, Deepak, when the last thread about a game is really old, you should start a new thread for any new info about that game.

Anyway, I'm off to read the reactions of the Nintendo fan persons about this review on the gaming forums out there. It's going to be a riot.
The other day, the Nintendo fans were calling unfair review of Excite Truck from Gamespot, because the reviewer "was too ponderous and thus he probably played the game while sitting on a chair (!!!)." Good times.

The other day, the Nintendo fans were calling unfair review of Excite Truck from Gamespot, because the reviewer "was too ponderous and thus he probably played the game while sitting on a chair (!!!)." Good times.
That sounds interesting, where can I read more about that? :D
I just feel sorry for all the innocent guitars that were destroyed in Excite Truck's production.

edit: nevermind, I managed to find their forums :oops: :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL. I was actually thinking this was gonna happen. Seems to me the only game to get for Wii is Zelda.

The game got a 5 from edge magazine.

In spite of the reviews if i was going to buy a wii this would be the 2nd launch game i would buy after zelda.It looks fun even in a crappy sort of way.I'd prefer it to a gimped CoD3 or to a shitty far cry game.

So we are back to, "Got a Nintendo console... when does the next Mario/Metroid/Zelda come out?" :LOL: That said, the Metroid video I watched looked killer. Halo-esk, and the controls looks sweet.

So we are back to, "Got a Nintendo console... when does the next Mario/Metroid/Zelda come out?" :LOL:

Not really, from GR:

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 - 86.1%
Madden NFL 07 - 85.0%
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam - 84.8%
Call of Duty 3 - 84.0%
Rayman Raving Rabbids - 84.0%
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - 82.2%
Wii Sports - 81.4%
Trauma Center: Second Opinion - 81.0%
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz - 77.4%

Plus the system isn't actually released yet..

It may be foolish but I still want to check it out. Paying full price is pretty much out though. Roll on everyone's favourite online auction house. If it's really that bad, it should be cheap enough used.

Wow, the graphics pretty much got panned too. And unfortunately the hype over the control scheme didn't come close to fruition. Looks like Zelda IMO is the only game worthwhile at this point. Still, that's a pretty big one to fall back too.

Back