Hands-on with Revolution in the next GameInformer - Ubisoft's Red Steel, aka "Katana"

Just a small update, it appears Red Steel has been officially announced - Rev launch title, exclusive:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2722&Itemid=2

Red Steel, which will launch as a Revolution exclusive, is set in modern-day Japan, and will have players taking control of katanas as well as modern weaponry using the Revolution's unique controller.

Serge Hascoet, chief creative officer at Ubisoft said that he's confident Red Steel will be a "must-have" launch title. He added, "“We have been working closely with Nintendo to take full advantage of the innovative controller."

Nintendo marketing boss Reggie Fils-Aime said, "From what we have seen from Red Steel, it is going to be a standout exclusive title on the Revolution.â€￾

pc999 said:
You cant put scans here. Be fast. Anyway thanks.
Well, it does give you a better idea of the effects in place. I like the whole "light shining through the paper doors" effect (I believe these are what you call "shaders"?) in one of the pics with the dead bodies and guy with katana.

I know I already saw those too, but this is the "problem".

But yes, that probably is the flipper equivalent to pixel shaders (the TEV).

Shaders are basicaly ops used on the textures (with others textures), and that is what the TEV does, I wonder if it get any upgrade as it seems better than anything on the GC, or if is made just by higher clocks speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
pc999 said:
I know I already saw those too, but this is the "problem".

But yes, that probably is the flipper equivalent to pixel shaders (the TEV).

Shaders are basicaly ops used on the textures (with others textures), and that is what the TEV does, I wonder if it get any upgrade as it seems better than anything on the GC, or if is made just by higher clocks speeds.
I don't think I have sufficient privillages yet. Sorry.

Powderkeg said:
Needless to say, I see some issues with this control scheme.

I had some of the same thoughts, but I have to beleive that 2 of the premiere game develpers in the world collaborating on this game would iron out the obvious control problems. If we can imagine it, I assume they have experienced it and more.

Well, for when the above post gets deleted, let me say that some high-res scans are up on the net, in corners where such evil is not so frowned upon. The clever can find them.

Anyway...

The graphics do look very "Flipper II." Polygon counts aren't insane (Fat Man's tie is painted on :???:), there's no normal mapping on the characters (who are low-poly enough to need it), and some of the particles look "meh." However, I'm not seeing blatant Gouraud artifacts on anyone, and the lighting varies between "whoa, DX7" and "very nice!" Kinda reminds me of Half-Life 2 or Prince of Persia in that regard. But they do look nice. People forget that current-gen graphics can look very beautiful, the same way comic books and line drawings can look beautiful without looking overly realistic. I do hope the final result doesn't have that awful 6:6:6:6 color that we saw in a handful of Cube games.

Those new scans do not favour the game. Very gamecube-ish. Acceptable? Sure. Disappointing? Yes, revmote+next-gen is certainly > revmote+current-gen, regardless of how good the revmote actually is or isn't. Surprising? Not at all, I have very realistic expectations.

Still, its all about the gameplay, and a few stills aren't going to enlighten us on that subject.

Fearsome

How can you tell that tie is painted on? It actually looks like it isn't painted on to me but personally I couldn't say either way for definite until I see it in motion (or at least a really detailed picture).

In one of the pics, you can see some couch stuffing blowing out of the bulet impact place. Looks like this game will have more particle effects than current gen.

My only qualm is lighting. Is there any way they could implement the "skin shading" technique seen in Oblivion, or at least get rid of some of the hard looking shadows? That might put an edge to the graphics depeartment and place it well within "you're there" next-gen.

Ooh-videogames said:
I see, get some crappy scans and now the game really looks like the crappy scans.
I didn't post in this thread before because my opinion was based on the crappy cellphone pictures, but with these scans you can clearly see its current-gen in geometry and detail, in stills anyway. Im motion it could be a whirlwind of actiivty and special effects. Lack of shadows, low geometry...these firmly place it in the "not next-gen" pile. Of course not all next-gen games look quite next-gen either...

Just saw the new scans..

Reminds me of a really juiced up "Def Jam (EA)" engine. It's GOOD looking, but it seems like something that would look nicer in HD..

heavenlyglory said:
Just saw the new scans..

Reminds me of a really juiced up "Def Jam (EA)" engine. It's GOOD looking, but it seems like something that would look nicer in HD..
Which is why it's not in HD :p
Although I do like the fact that it's in true widescreen.

Still more interested in the "repect" system, since they plan this to become a franchise in very much the same way Splinter Cell is.

Back