Halo: Reach

Nice, time for the pre-public beta leaks to begin!

Really nice detail on that shotgun. Like the Spartan armor, it just looks so "real" and detailed in Reach.

In my opinion they should work more on making the weapons look more like they are made out of metal instead of plastic, use specular maps perhaps?

I've seen new weapon renders and they look pretty realistic in terms of detail and having that metal look to it..I saw the pics on some french gaming site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like they just added a weatherbeaten shader. Guess that was one of the effects they were talking about still being added a few weeks ago.

Kind of odd they are still adding with 2.5 weeks to beta. Almost makes me wonder if they need more time to make the game look it's best.

I almost like the old model better. Regardless, it's a pretty gun model.

No, it's not just a shader, it's obviously been reworked a LOT. There are new details in the normal maps as well, which even suggest additions to the source highres model.

It's not just "add a shader", you know, it takes a lot of hard work...

The new AR still doesn't have this convincing metal sheen look if comparing to KZ2's rifle "just drawing reference". Maybe it's the lack of a more prominent AOmap or the specmap isn't tuned right, something is still missing here.

The new AR still doesn't have this convincing metal sheen look if comparing to KZ2's rifle "just drawing reference". Maybe it's the lack of a more prominent AOmap or the specmap isn't tuned right, something is still missing here.

For me the weapon detail is already good enough, but it needs to reflect more light.

Just to make mi point clear.
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/9681/mp5k.jpg
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/7759/kz115.jpg

Halo Reach
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7325/compare2o.jpg

bfidqu.jpg

See those shadows on that KZ's rifle and the grainy tone on the metal? That's what I mean and still can be seen in moderate lighting condition.

http://i39.tinypic.com/bfidqu.jpg
See those shadows on that KZ's rifle and the grainy tone on the metal? That's what I mean and still can be seen in moderate lighting condition.

Yeah but isn’t that look due more to the post processing effects that the game uses? That gritty look isn’t really Halo style. The weapons just need to look more real in Halo Reach, and looking at the last screens they are in the right track.

Post processing has nothing to do with it, I was solely referring to the gun material and shadow map. I think you misunderstood but anyway I see your point here.

I think the weapons look great. It's similar to the spartan armor in the game, it has this incredible I guess matte look to it. But it's very realistic to me.

In the KZ2 comparison I wouldn't say one looks better or worse, just different. I dont think a real life gun is outwardly shiny.

But the Reach model holds it's own to the KZ2 one which says a lot, since KZ2 pretty much set the new standard on great looking gun models imo for this generation. I think theyre even better than Crysis. If I look at Crysis now, one area where it's maybe falling down a bit is it's guns.

I think the weapons look great. It's similar to the spartan armor in the game, it has this incredible I guess matte look to it. But it's very realistic to me.

In the KZ2 comparison I wouldn't say one looks better or worse, just different. I dont think a real life gun is outwardly shiny.

But the Reach model holds it's own to the KZ2 one which says a lot, since KZ2 pretty much set the new standard on great looking gun models imo for this generation. I think theyre even better than Crysis. If I look at Crysis now, one area where it's maybe falling down a bit is it's guns.

Neither of them looked too shiny to me, it's more to do with the subtle specularity falloff and the grainy level of the material on the metal. In comparison I get a rather plastic feel from the Halo AR but I wouldn't argue further if it's inline with the art style.

multiplayer modes more details explained to 1UP

snip from IGN....

Bungie's Multiplayer Design Lead Lars Bakken tells 1up that the classic Halo modes will naturally be back, "We just said, 'okay, Slayer, CTF, King of the Hill, those are great, let's lock those up and put them aside. Now what else?'"

The first one described is Headhunter. This mode may surprise you. It is not a headhshot only game type. Instead it sounds somewhat like an extension of Oddball. Players drop skulls when they die and the goal is to scoop up as many as you can to set deposit zones. You can carry multiple skulls at a time, but if you get killed you drop them all. You'll also have a floating number over your head indicating how many skulls you're carrying, making you a pretty big target if you start hoarding them. Headhunter can be played as a team game or free-for-all.

The next mode outlined by 1up is Stockpile. It is described as Terriroties meets Capture the Flag. Flags appear randomly across the map and teams scramble to return them to their capture points.

Generator Defense is the game mode played only on the Overlook map in the Beta. It's a three-on-three affair with Spartans squaring off against Elites. The aliens try to destroy the generators and the Spartans try to stop them. After one round, which may last up to five minutes, the teams swap sides and go at it again.

The last game type is Invasion, but Bungie wouldn't give 1up more details than we already knew, mainly that it is the only mode in the Beta which supports vehicles and that it takes place on Boneyard.

Headhunter sounds fun, it's like regular slayer with a twist, which is good as I rarely play non-slayer based gametypes with my friends (as most of those require a good deal of map knowledge).

BTW does anyone else feel that the visual quality of the armor and metal is far worse than what was seen in the VGA trailer? There it actually looked like metal and was comparable to games like KZ2 but all the recent media have guns and armor looking like they're made of plastic like they did in H3.

Nope. Guns and armor look great. Not as good as the VGA trailer, of course.

And it is comparable to games like KZ2, now.

bfidqu.jpg

comparisono.jpg

I just dont think it's going to look as good as the VGA trailer or maybe KZ2, because it's a wide open game. But it still looks good. If anything the weapon models and armor are the strong points, the environments are what can look a little bland in MP imo. It doesn't lather on the postprocessing like KZ2.

I'm just thrilled with how Reach looks. But if anything it makes me question further why Bungie did essentially Halo 2 HD for Halo 3. There's no reason Halo3 couldn't have been as good as Reach graphically in 2007 imo.

But if anything it makes me question further why Bungie did essentially Halo 2 HD for Halo 3. There's no reason Halo3 couldn't have been as good as Reach graphically in 2007 imo.

Wasn't halo 3 suppose to come out on the original xbox?
That the rumors i heard and from what i see with the marines model the jump from 2 to 3 in details is minimum.

Back