Halo 3 Trailer @ E3: Confirmed

IMO, Halo 2 did have awesome graphics that were hindered by the Xbox hardware (texture popups, low-res textures, etc). It even had some self-shadowing in the cutscenes and some of the lights in the level "the Arbiter" (specifically in the hallway before you enter a lab area where you jump down and def the area for awhile) actually cast self-shadows while others don't. Still, the after-effects are some of the best I've seen from that time (including HL2) (depth of field, bloom lighting, etc.)

Halo 2 changed from stencil buffer shadows to depth maps really late in the game. Stencil buffers just weren't dependable enough for performance. That was enough to throw lots of wrenches into the works.

Laa-Yosh said:
Shifty, I think that if they can get the AI part to work well, then a massive battle could be quite amazing to look at as well.
If they can show amazing battles and say this is the AI in action, maybe. For me, without an interest in FPS (perhaps not the target audience for Halo, but if they're trying to take attention away from PS3 and Wii I'm someone they' need to target) I'm sure I'd just see a battle and not appreciate the AI decisions going on. If there were a 1000 characters on the battlefield and we see them getting shot and big explosions and some sneaking around a building, it wouldn't be possible to determine whether they're being intelligent or just randomly acting. To really showcase the AI you'd need to follow certain characters. That could be very cool. If the presentation moved to different NPCs and followed them acting intelligently, that's something I'd be interested to see.

scooby_dooby said:
What console game looked better than Halo 1 back in 2001? I remember I was playing red faction on my PS2 which I thought was pretty damn cool, and Halo absolutely blew that out of the water.

Got a 9/10 for GFX, with the only knock being framerate.
Interesting, because that was why I didn't rate the game highly. Halo was the first game I saw on XB, and it had a noticeably poor framerate which to me made it look like the system was struggling (I can't remember the specifics of seeing it though). The PS2 games I was seeing at the time were high framerates. Perhaps different people weigh framerates differently, and anyone coming off the back of PC gaming would be okay with lower framerates? But to me, it looked rough and not something I wanted to play.

For what Halo was doing it may well have had an impressive engine, but for what I saw, it didn't look impressive, and that's key to getting attention with a video showcase. A few fantastic looking characters in a detailed urban environment will have a greater impact than 500 low quality characters in a debris-filled wasteland, even though the latter is more technically demanding. Nothing Bungie have showcased to date has made me go 'ooo, look at that' in the same way, say, GOW's creatues and detailed shots have done.

Obviously Halo was the graphics king on consoles when it launched. It was the first (among the first) game on a new more powerful console, so it had to look better with tecnology that just wasn't available on older consoles.
There really was nothing to compare to on egual powered console platform then, not even on xbox there was little to compare to, although it can be argued DOA looked better but as it's of very different genre comparing it is pointless, as is comparing with software from older platforms.
Halo was a graphical showcase when it launched, and continued to be for a while, just like Tekken TAG was the graphical showcase when PS2 launched. But other games soon surpassed them, and like Halo 2, it wasn't that much of a graphical showcase any more and there was many titles that surpassed it in graphics.
What has this got to do with Halo 3 I don't know.

rabidrabbit said:
Obviously Halo was the graphics king on consoles when it launched. It was the first (among the first) game on a new more powerful console, so it had to look better with tecnology that just wasn't available on older consoles.
There really was nothing to compare to on egual powered console platform then, not even on xbox there was little to compare to, although it can be argued DOA looked better but as it's of very different genre comparing it is pointless, as is comparing with software from older platforms.
At the time of seeing Halo, I was playing GT3, and I think that had a better sense of quality in the visuals. At times it looked so damned real, and was a leap ahead of anything else I had seen. By comparison Halo looked like polygon characters in a lower framerate. Yes, they're different genres with different demands and it's not a fair comparison, but that's the way things work visually. From GT3, Halo didn't look as good. I don't think I've seen any game as breath-taking as GT3 at its time.

As for what this has to do with Halo3, it's a sort of meandering discussion on what Bungie/MS can show if they're to turn heads at E3, especially away from Sony and Nintendo. I think they need a graphical showcase which (what we're discussing) I'm not sure Bungie are known for. Their name doesn't normally come up as a team that makes the best looking games.

Wasn't Halo 1 designed as a massively online game for PC and Mac before Bungie was bought by MS, and then turned into the game we know for the XBox release ?

Halo1 had great gfx IMO and was a launchgame!
Halo2 was a dissapointment to me and i really cant see the hype being bigger for Halo3 than it was for Halo2 even if the movie goes well.

Halo was a great game, Halo2 not so great. It bringed more fantastic music and sound-track to the series though witch is the best IMO last gen excluding FFX.

Check: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/703/703671p1.html

With Microsoft, the rumors are always true. The next iteration in Bungie Studios' Halo series will appear at E3 2006 in video form at its Tuesday, May 9 news conference, IGN learned today from independent sources who recently spoke with Microsoft executives.

The video is allegedly two minutes long, although its contents weren't divulged.

Edit: now with improved, not flammable quote. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Corwin_B said:
Wasn't Halo 1 designed as a massively online game for PC and Mac before Bungie was bought by MS, and then turned into the game we know for the XBox release ?

RTS (1998) to third person (1999) to first person (2000). They pretty much had most of the designs of the characters completed by E3 2000 (where you see the vehicles, marines, elites, elite with handheld shield etc). The switch to Xbox was later (but not that far off). What we see now was completed within the year prior to launch. Even Silent Cartographer wasn't supposed to be in the game, but they had already completed the map for Gamestock 2001 (and even then, the hud and some effects weren't complete).

expletive said:
Not sure i understand your post. Do you have reason to believe this is part of an ARG or viral marketing campaign?

it was a joke... hehe... zanzibar is a very popular map in H2

Halo 3: Behind the Scenes

enjoy

QT and WMV (3 sizes of each) available

In this fascinating short, you'll see some of the teamwork, thought processes and imagination that went into this Halo 3 teaser. You'll see the actual orchestra and choir session, some of the in-studio production work and interviews with some of the key folks who worked on the E3 presentation. You won't see everyone - lots of folks who slaved over hot keyboards to make this trailer a reality were simply too busy to be interviewed - and to them, our heartfelt appreciation.

But you will see some footage from the trailer that didn't make the cut, and you'll see angles and views from the realtime footage that we kept for this piece. And if you look very, very carefully, you'll see hints of things to come. Nothing too dramatic, but the fans will spot stuff, of that we're certain.
http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?link=e3makingof

Forearm isn't big enough to be a grunt...

where'd you get the pic? or where is it from? Shi Kai might get in trouble :LOL:

Alstrong said:
Forearm isn't big enough to be a grunt...

where'd you get the pic? or where is it from? Shi Kai might get in trouble :LOL:

It is from the new short on the Bungie site. See Tap In's post ;)

Back