Halo 3 Ready?

2007 will be the year of Halo, with the Halo movie releasing in summer of 07 and Halo 3 in Fall together with the Halo movie DVD, the only way i see it not going down like that is if the movie is delayed.

deathstar121 said:
2007 will be the year of Halo, with the Halo movie releasing in summer of 07 and Halo 3 in Fall together with the Halo movie DVD, the only way i see it not going down like that is if the movie is delayed.

Exactly.

I doubt MS would release Halo 3 this year with Gears of War coming out aswell. GOW would basically be DOA going up against a Halo.

Funny, gamespot is reporting the exact opposite rumor lately.

Namely, that a Gamestop companywide email claims the game will flatly "not ship in 2006".

There's no way it's finished and sitting around waiting to be released.

Games never get finished, developers just get as much done as they can before the release date and if the game is too buggy the release usually gets pushed back. Even 'finished' games have bugs and so they would still be fixing those instead of sitting around doing nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check this out:
GS: And do you expect that number to rise later this year when Halo 3 comes out?

BL: Good try!

GS: Seriously, though, do you guys have a time frame as to when it might come out? A release window?

BL: We saved it for this call. We are ready to announce it for the first time right now.

GS: Awesome.

BL: Are you ready?

GS: Yeah.

BL: You got the exclusive.

GS: Let me guess: It's ready when it's done.

BL: We'll launch it when it's ready. No, we haven't said anything more about that.

GS: So, the whole parrying-the-PlayStation-3-launch thing is not happening?

BL: I didn't say that. Just didn't say we were saying today what we're doing with it.

I guess we shouldn't rule it out entirely just yet ;)

The PS3 is launching this month or next?

Because if the game is ready for duplication it's going to be distributed soon.

I can see Halo 3 launch hype being used to counter the PS3 launch hype, but I don't understand why the game has to turn gold and be sent to duplication now when the PS3 is still months away.

It would take three weeks or so to produce a ton of copies, no need for months.

I really really hope it is not ready and waiting, why would it? If it was I don't think that Bungie would have been able to make the best out of it, even if they have had priveliged information about hardware, getting the first dev kits and stuff. I really hope they make the best they can before they release it.

Anyway, why would they go up against GoW, which I imagine might be new franchise that MS will try and push, and whether or not they release H3 along the PS3 US launch, it will not have any impact what so ever on neither hype nor sales of the PS3, so what is the point.

No the push they will need will be next year some time, most probably the later half, and since they have a movie comming out as well, they might just try and release it along side with that and have a common campaign, saving maybe a bit of money as well...

Vysez said:

Not that I believe the rumour, but I think the rumour says that they are keeping it on hold eventhough it's ready, and are basically waiting the PS3 to launch and then counterattact it. So it's not like the normal Game went gold thing... Anyways I don't believe that it's ready.

Vysez said:

I can see Halo 3 launch hype being used to counter the PS3 launch hype, but I don't understand why the game has to turn gold and be sent to duplication now when the PS3 is still months away.

It would take three weeks or so to produce a ton of copies, no need for months.
If the rumor is true, it's possible that Bungie/Microsoft have a versioning scheme going on to counter any surprise launch of the PS3. I realize many people expect a lot from Halo 3, but it's perfectly possible that Microsoft is willing to release a Halo that is just "good enough" now rather than later. It would definitely take some eyes off any PS3 launch and bring more attention to the Xbox 360.

By versioning I mean that they print a "final master," but continue to work on the game as long as outside pressures allow. Like others have said, I doubt two or three years would have given all the time they would want to really polish this gem. I wouldn't be surprised if they are still working hard on it, looking to replace the current master with an improved version if time allows.

Whatever it is, this suggests to me that Microsoft is expecting a surprise PS3 launch or at least they are prepared for one.What's the lead time on a master to initial shipping volume of goods? 1 month to pull the trigger?

Reminds me of those rumours that Halo 3 was ready for the Xbox360 launch that came about...a week before launch.

Why would they want to release it now?

wireframe said:
If the rumor is true, it's possible that Bungie/Microsoft have a versioning scheme going on to counter any surprise launch of the PS3. I realize many people expect a lot from Halo 3, but it's perfectly possible that Microsoft is willing to release a Halo that is just "good enough" now rather than later. It would definitely take some eyes off any PS3 launch and bring more attention to the Xbox 360.

This is more than unlikely. Halo is their number one franchise, their BFG, their ultimate weapon, and they would have to be plain stupid to ruin it with a less then spectacular game. Common sense may not always work about the X360 and Microsoft, but they're just not that stupid...

Personally I don't see how Halo counteracts PS3. All the Halo fans already have XBs and likely have XB360 or are going to get one anyway, maybe waiting for Halo3 to release. All the PS fans are waiting for PS3. Most casual gamers who haven't formed an opinion aren't going to rush to an FPS, and aren't going to buy either XB360 or PS3 in the first year of launch as they await a price drop. Only FPS fans undecided will make a choice of XB360 vs. PS3 over a single game if it's good enough to attract their attention, and if these people aren't already fans of the Halo franchise it'll take an incredible product to win them over.

It'll counter the PS3 in media coverage, as Halo2 countered GTA:SA.'
Now, would the media be more interested in Halo 3, or PS3... hmmmmm difficult question ;)

IMO to make the most impact, MS should really make Halo 3 multiplatform, release the xbox360 version at the same time they release the PS3 port.
The port being just that, a port, with lower framerate and overall a bit worse (but still good enough) to convince mainstream that the xbox360 indeed is the more powerful platform and should thus be the preferred choise instead of the new, underperforming PS3!

rabidrabbit said:
IMO to make the most impact, MS should really make Halo 3 multiplatform, release the xbox360 version at the same time they release the PS3 port.
Hmmm, I don't think Sony will go for that... ;)

It'll counter the PS3 in media coverage, as Halo2 countered GTA:SA.'
Now, would the media be more interested in Halo 3, or PS3... hmmmmm difficult question ;)
Well, it seems a no brainer to me. PS3 is going to get mammoth coverage as a new hardware including BRD player and talk of future non-gaming activities yadayada which appeals in one way or another to many different people. Halo3 is a game, an FPS which only appeals to players who like FPSs, and will only get coverage in gaming press, who'll also be all over PS3. Really, going against PS3 with Halo3 is more likely to reduce interest you'd otherwise get for Halo3. UNLESS it's the best looking game ever and visually trounces PS3, promoting the XB360 platform overall.

I think a better strategy for MS would be to hold back the big releases until after the PS3 launch noise, and then go with a stronger offensive of big-name AAA titles when interest levels out again. Maybe a glut of prime-quality games for the Christmas period where they can advertise XB360 alongside PS3 in stores with comparable quality (assuming the platforms similar in achievements) and lower price point or other competitive edge.

Or...
Halo3 could be ready for xmas 2006, helping boosting sales of 360. Then, when Halo:The movie comes out, Halo3 will see an additional spike of sales.. because that is when MS releases "additional content" for Halo3 (new missions or something like that).
This way, MS extends the sales of the games, giving it two "sales-spikes" (one for sure at xmas, the other one is a maybe when the halo-movie comes out)...

Ohh yeah...
You can count on that MS will put a Halo3-demo (trailer, E3 trailer whatever) on Xboxlive and that it will costs some points to download...

I'm also wondering why on earth they would try to counter PS3s launch [in Japan] with Halo 3. It's not as if PS3 will be not limited by supply and won't sell out regardless what comes out in the initial months after the consoles launch. Also, I'm not sure if launching a game within a month of its first public showing is a good idea. These things need time and marketing to make people aware that something big is coming... besides; PS3 is likely still months away from launching in the region that Halo 3 made its biggest impact: NA...

All this make this rumour very doubtful... unless, Sony really did a good job in making the competition think they'd be launching in Spring and thus made them rush the launch and possibly various game titles like Halo3... (if this rumour happens to be true).

Phil said:
I'm also wondering why on earth they would try to counter PS3s launch [in Japan] with Halo 3. It's not as if PS3 will be not limited by supply and won't sell out regardless what comes out in the initial months after the consoles launch.

Exactly. In Japan or the US or Europe for that matter. The first real battle will be Q4 2007 IMHO.

Trailer at E3. Launch next year. My 2 cents.

I think that H3 will be delayed [[6 months - 1 year]] from GOW launch

microsoft don't want the two dragon head to fight one each other, because this will damage the sale of the two games

I Believe GOW for sept 2006 and H3 for USA Launch of PS3 (I guess gen 2007)

when in summmer 2007, the film will came out, they release downloadable content, as SP missions, MP levels, and maybe a patch to enable some features in order to recall the film experience.

My 2 Cents.

Titanio said:
I should hope it's not ready, for the sake of the game. And I'm pretty sure it's not. This one should be given plenty of time in the oven, I hope.

If you want to beleive this rumor, you might as well believe the old rumor that Halo3 and Halo 2 development started at the same time, and when Halo 2 launched, Halo 3 was half complete. That would give it plenty of time.

Back