Halo 3 Ready?

scooby_dooby said:
It may be a really good opportunity for MS to take huge wind out of sony's sales.

Yeah, pretty much agree with that - but don't forget that the big money is the mass market and they probably aren't that much into sci-fi shooters, so MS will need other games as well...

scooby_dooby said:
'
Now you've got money in hand game buyers, can't find a PS3, and would have GOW and Halo 3 to drive sales. It may be a really good opportunity for MS to take huge wind out of sony's sales.

I don't know about that. I mean, on launch day you pretty much have the die hard fans gobbling up units. Do you think if they couldn't get a PS3 they would settle for a 360 and GoW? I think they would walk out and save their cash for a PS3.

scooby_dooby said:
It may be a really good opportunity for MS to take huge wind out of sony's sales.
Not having any stock to sell, Sony won't have any sails to catch any wind ;)

The PS3 will sell out, period. With only 5 average games and an online service to come later, it'll still sell out. At $500 with BR playback optional, it'll still sell out.

MS would be stupid to assail the unassailable. Instead, they should aim for the ebb. Wait till January or February when reality has set in for most. That is the time a Halo 3 trailer would do the most PR damage. Wait for the time when PS3 owners have their first wave of withdrawl.

Synergy34 said:
I don't know about that. I mean, on launch day you pretty much have the die hard fans gobbling up units. Do you think if they couldn't get a PS3 they would settle for a 360 and GoW? I think they would walk out and save their cash for a PS3.

I'm sure their are plenty of people that would settle. Most consumers aren't completely biased and availability is a big selling point to a lot of people.

Also in a fall timeframe you will be talking about a lot of this going as gifts. Most people don't defer their xmas gifts until april. They buy something else.

Inane_Dork said:
The PS3 will sell out, period. With only 5 average games and an online service to come later, it'll still sell out. At $500 with BR playback optional, it'll still sell out.

MS would be stupid to assail the unassailable. Instead, they should aim for the ebb. Wait till January or February when reality has set in for most. That is the time a Halo 3 trailer would do the most PR damage. Wait for the time when PS3 owners have their first wave of withdrawl.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Jan/Feb for Halo would be ideal.

Sure PS3 will sell out regardless, but a certain percentage who can't get one will go for the 360. The more blockbuster games they have around that time, the more that percentage rises.

Also, there's always a post-launch drought, this will be a time when many people can't get a system, or they own the system but are awaiting games. This period or lull would be the perfect time for MS to launch Halo 3, especially with GOW being only a few months old, it could make a killer one-two combo.

The only way this even remotely makes sense as written is if they were planning a "soft relaunch" or something, with large shipments of hardware arriving at the same time as the game.

And even then, there's no way they'd just have the gold master sitting around waiting to be duplicated. No dev team in the world would sit around with an unshipped product and _not_ want to continue working on it...

Besides, we don't even know Bungie are working on Halo 3... they could be working on a new franchise first, then planning H3 to coincide with the movie in 2007, or something...

Will they spend as much on Halo3 as they did on Halo2?

If so, they would need months to build up the hype.

Or is Halo3 such a guaranteed slam dunk that they don't need the same level of promotion/advertising/hype?

I don't believe in that rumor but something should be done to counter Sony's buzz... I think Microsoft should:

* A day before PS3 launch:
+ Line up second waves of games that really *PLAY* and look next gen (if avail)
+ Release Halo 3 multiplayer and single player demo game (1 level each) on XBL.
This is assuming that these games are more ready than PS3 launch games since they should have more time to work on them.

* Following 3 months after PS3 launch, constantly up the ante on XBL by preparing new stuff/upgrade fortnightly. Also organize online events to keep fans happy and have stuff to talk about. Must... hype... XBLA (competition, developer awards)

* Before Christmas:
+ Release bundle for Core packages. That's where the pricing sweetspot is. People who go for Premium are less price sensitive.
+ Announce availability of HD-DVD movies and external HD-DVD drive
+ Also release Halo if ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
patsu said:
I don't believe in that rumor but something should be done to counter Sony's buzz... I think Microsoft should:

* A day before PS3 launch:
+ Line up second waves of games that really *PLAY* and look next gen (if avail)
+ Release Halo 3 multiplayer and single player demo game (1 level each) on XBL.
This is assuming that these games are more ready than PS3 launch games since they should have more time to work on them.

* Following 3 months after PS3 launch, constantly up the ante on XBL by preparing new stuff/upgrade fortnightly. Also organize online events to keep fans happy and have stuff to talk about. Must... hype... XBLA (competition, developer awards)

* Before Christmas:
+ Release bundle for Core packages. That's where the pricing sweetspot is. People who go for Premium are less price sensitive.
+ Announce availability of HD-DVD movies and external HD-DVD drive
+ Also release Halo if ready.

I agree with these ideas but if the (Peter Jackson produced) Halo movie is actually good and gets positive buzz, combining the laucnh of the game with the movie release would be a game launch that would be unparalleled in terms of buzz,hype, and maybe sales (how many 360s would be sold by then?). It would go a long way to making the 360 and Halo even more household names then they are now. The question is, can they afford to wait that long?

i'd have thought when the ps3 is in high demand/low supply would be an ideal time to launch halo 3

no, they are not going to stop them selling out - however mr/mrs average consumer who was waiting for ps3 sees a now price dropped xbox 360 available to buy right now (as opposed to a more expensive and out of stock everywhere ps3) with this absolutely killer game everyone has been raving about...... Rather than wait for a ps3 mr/mrs average consumer takes the lunge and buys a 360 instead = more sales for MS. It's not about stopping sales of the ps3 (because as everyone knows, microsoft could make their 360 free and the ps3 would STILL sell out), it's about maximising sales while the ps3 launches.

works even better if this is at xmas too

Since we are plotting strategy here this is what I would do if I were making the decisions re: Xbox 360. I would bundle Halo3 with the Xbox360 for the same price as a base PS3. Assuming of course that the PS3 launches at the same price as the Xbox360.

nelg said:
Since we are plotting strategy here this is what I would do if I were making the decisions re: Xbox 360. I would bundle Halo3 with the Xbox360 for the same price as a base PS3. Assuming of course that the PS3 launches at the same price as the Xbox360.

They wouldn't need to do that and would almost make them look desperate.

:p

Bungie Slams Halo 3 Rumour
Posted on: 08 February, 2006 09:35 GMT
Written by: Russ Clow (russellclow)

Remember just the other day the news article we churned out about Halo 3 being ready, according to gaming website HEXUS?

Bungie.net officially replied to the comment on their Weekly Update. When asked:

"Hey Frankie, just double checking with you before I get all hyped but over at gaming.HEXUS they have an article that says that Halo 3 is finished already (game and all). They are just waiting the word from you guys. Is this true? here's that article just in case you haven't seen it already. Dumb Article"

Frankie replied:

"That is the stupidest thing I have read in weeks. Almost as stupid as the Loltruck http://loltruck.ytmnd.com/ - but not as awesome."

So there you have it. Straight from the horses mouth as it were.... not that Frankie is a horse!

Halo 3 ready? Noooooooooo!
http://www.360monster.com/newspost.php?id=0000000374

Back