Half Life 2 Benchmarks (From Valve)

sonix666 said:
Ha ha ha,

this is really so hilarious. Don't get me wrong, I am very very very happy with my Radeon 9700. But the lame excuses for ATi cheating are really stupid. Be responsible, and just say, yes, ATi has or is also cheating. Don't try to change the subject or try to make one cheat more cheating than the other. Simple fact is, both companies have been found cheating in the current crop of drivers.

There's this concept called "crossing the line."

There are optimizations that one can argue are legitimate, or not. (Such as replcaing a shader with a different one that produces the EXACT same results.)

There are optimizations (like manually inserting clip planes, replacing shaders with ones that do NOT produce the same results), that are NOT defendable, and clearly cross the line.

There's only one IHV's drivers that has been demonstrated to cross the line.

sonix666 said:
Ha ha ha,

this is really so hilarious. Don't get me wrong, I am very very very happy with my Radeon 9700. But the lame excuses for ATi cheating are really stupid. Be responsible, and just say, yes, ATi has or is also cheating. Don't try to change the subject or try to make one cheat more cheating than the other. Simple fact is, both companies have been found cheating in the current crop of drivers.

Heh-heh-heh...;) I didn't ask you about being happy about your 9700P, I wanted to know what cheats for 3dMk03 you'd uncovered in your drivers...?

Dave H and Dio, thanks for the clarifications.

sonix666, at some point in trying to simplify an issue, you will oversimplify and lose clarity. You've crossed that line by saying both ATi and nV cheat, therefore they're equally guilty. Try a less lazy / more nuanced approach, it'll benefit everyone.

Evildeus said:
Is HL2 still schedule for this year, or is just the benchmark?? :?:
For example, 02/04 is the new ETA for gamestop....
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?cookie_test=1&product_id=645118&affid=1

Vavle are still promising (IIRC) Sept 30. However there is spculation that this might be the date for the Steam version. The boxed version may take an extra month to get duplicated and into the stores via distributers, and yet still allow Valve to say that they released on 30 Sept. And of course this would encourage the uptake of Steam if people knew they would have to wait an extra month to get the game from the stores.

So, speculation on the delay? Is Steam a form of beta-testing? Is Valve expecting it to take that long for nV to get its performance up to par? :)

Hi! Do you mean programmer (of the code), or writer (of the story)?

I have no idea either way, but I thought I'd help clarify your question for someone who can help. :)

Their main story writer is Marc Laidlaw. He's actually a pretty good SciFi/Horror writer (or whatever you may call the weird novells he has published so far).

There seems to be an encouraging trend in the gaming industry to hire professional writers to help with game stories/plots and from what I have seen, they actually hire GOOD ones, e.g. John Shirley supposedly will do some work on Bloodrayne 2 and John Shirley is one of the most creative Horror and SciFi writers.

Both, Shirley and Laidlaw started publishing novells back in the 80s. Shirley wrote the first true Cyberpunk novell (City Come A-Walking') and heavily influenced William Gibson. His "Eclipse" trilogy is one of the most impressive works of the Cyberpunk genre right next to Neuromancer.

Back