Hal.dll missing

Adanu

Newcomer
I'm on the laptop I just bought recently (good thing too...) and my main computer has a problem apparently. safe mode won't boot up so system recovery is out of the question, meanwhile I try recovery console and the damn thing doesn't see my installation. I'm thinking the problem is in my boot.ini, as I did NOTHING to the installation prior to this and I've had a years worth of boot.ini errors coming up, but no problems with the system after that.

My only choices seem to be making a boot disk somehow, or a clean reinstallation, and a reinstallation is NOT something I want to until last resort measures have to be done. I'm assuming the reason my boot cd doesn't see the windows folder is because the disk comes up as scsi, even though im not sure what interface it uses. Can someone tell me how to tell that, since bootup still recognizes the disk after the bootup screen? then again... this might solve my memory problems...

I also found the option of booting windows from the CD, is there a way to do that without going into setup?

And yes, I'm new to these forums, and have been meaning to check this place out, but rl keeps on pulling me away.

Hope to have some good help.

Which Windows are you using?

If its XP, you can copy that file from another PC. THe file is located in the Windows/System32 folder.

That problem, and the missing boot.ini are very common on windows xp.

You could make an installation disk and save that file in the disk as well, so you would only have to copy that file to that same folder (windows/system32) using DOS.

Another option is to use the repair option on the windows xp CD.

Which Windows are you using?

If its XP, you can copy that file from another PC. THe file is located in the Windows/System32 folder.

That problem, and the missing boot.ini are very common on windows xp.

You could make an installation disk and save that file in the disk as well, so you would only have to copy that file to that same folder (windows/system32) using DOS.

Another option is to use the repair option on the windows xp CD.

Can I parrallel install a window copy and then copy it into the old windows directory? On that note, can I parrallel and just try to fix the old one before deleting the new one?

o that note, is there an edit function on this forum? I forgot the mention that I meant the last option in the pos above as in the boot.ini file.

Well, tried using a floppy with the drivers to get the thing to see my drive, but it won't. I used the sil 3112 for it, I have an a7n8x deluxe and the only thing that can now work is either a set of drivers that will let my windows setup cd see my hard drive without error or installng an IDE drive and paralleling until I can fix the original installation. I'm too tired to continue working on this problem... any help or advice is appreciated.

Back