[H] reviews the KillerNIC...

There are audiophiles who swear that they can hear the difference when using directional speaker cable. Apparently the cable has different conductivity in one direction than the other. Think about that for a second. I know! Semi-conductor cables!
The placebo effect is strong, young padawan.

Guys, I don't think you've grasped the full import of this company's discovery.

It can send data through time!

If we buy half a billion of these things, put them into one huge cluster hooked up to a ~1920s radio transmitter, then reverse the voltage rails WE COULD WARN THE WORLD ABOUT HITLER!!!!!!!

Guys, I don't think you've grasped the full import of this company's discovery.

It can send data through time!

If we buy half a billion of these things, put them into one huge cluster hooked up to a ~1920s radio transmitter, then reverse the voltage rails WE COULD WARN THE WORLD ABOUT HITLER!!!!!!!

Nah, the server called "Time" uses billions of these baby's.

KillerNIC is a waste of money solely existing to suck in the gamer enthusiast so they can add another few l33t words on their PC spec signiatures. Sadly enough they will sell a lot solely because of this.

i dont think they'll sell 'a lot' exactly. the type of person this is going to interest is going to be dumb as a brick and surely heats their home by throwing banded bundles of currency straight into the furnace.

I'd personally feel better about buying a $1000 GPU setup then i do about putting down $250 for a network card because it has "killer" in its name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also wanted to say sorry for those of you that feel as though you did not get out of our review what you were expecting but we did make efforts to make sure that did not happen. Here is the intro that was used on the header of every page of that evaluation.

Gaming with the Killer NIC
You have seen the benchmarks and read the ping data. Now find out what the Killer NIC can do for you in real world gaming situations. No canned benchmarks, just feedback from gamers that have used the card.

We did not frame this as a review, but "gaming with the Killer NIC." We did also make sure to spell out that this article relied on only feedback from gamers. I apologize if we were not clear enough in our statements as to what the focus of the article was.

Glad you posted Kyle. I think many of us (me at least) were hoping for something more analytical like the maximum playable settings graphs you use in GPU benchmarks. Even if you can only simulate a net environ., at least it's something.

Gaming with the Killer NIC
You have seen the benchmarks and read the ping data. Now find out what the Killer NIC can do for you in real world gaming situations. No canned benchmarks, just feedback from gamers that have used the card. .

You see, that's the problem. The article did not tell us "what the Killer NIC can do for you in real world gaming situations". Your method simply didn't provide the promised result, just like the customer testimonies for Machina Dynamica's miracle pebbles don't tell us anything about what the damn things will do for us in real-world situations.

The quoted paragraph also implies that benchmarks and ping data ("canned benchmarks" whatever that is) does NOT permit valid conclusions on what Killer NIC can "do for you in real world gaming situations". Instead of collecting meaningful data, you're handing out awards based on the gut feelings of a bunch of guys, which is ridiculous. Did you even have full control over the test enviroment?

Also, what exactly did you base your conclusion that "the Killer NIC does exactly what it is advertised to do. It will lower your pings and very likely give you marginally better framerates in real world gaming scenarios"? On the guy who said that "his machine was ahead of what was on the server"?

Last edited by a moderator:
I, personally, do not criticise the article in itself, but I can't help but wonder about why anyone would see anything worth writing, for Kyle's staff, or reading, for the net denizens, in there.
I mean, we're talking about <5% differences here, a purely subjective take on this type of differences would only end with a non-event, less than +/- 5% in performances doesn't change the game experience in any ways, if at all, more news at 11, or it might also end with an inacurate reporting, because of a placebo effect or due to the fact that the tester "doesn't believe" in the product and therefore set his mind to find failures.
OT: that machina dynamica bunch must be seriously on crack. Or is the whole thing just a joke? Can't tell for sure, but it's mind-bending either way. Pebbles improving freq response and lowering the noise? Yeah, right... :rolleyes:
Audiophiles are crazy for real, here's another example:
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35582

I love this one
http://www.av-outlet.com/en-us/dept_216.html

All cables are directional. One way sounds better than the other. If the cable has arrows, make sure that you the arrows point towards signal flow. If they do not have arrows, you are best able to tell one channel at a time by listening to vocal music with brightness to the voice. The direction that sounds less edgier is correct.

Yeah, that AC current has found it's way to a material with lower conductivity to the left but not the right. Uh huh.

Back