Guidelines for posting in off-topic forums

I am told that the Great and Powerful Oz has heard the cries of the Junior Members to see RPSC . .

Somebody of that status please confirm/deny. . .

Neeyik said:
Couple of points. The GD/RPSC boards are, and have always been, moderated and they're certainly not "open".
In what way have these boards not been 'open'? I can't remember them being closed in the way they are now since I've been a member. And how much moderation is performed in these forums? I see little, compared to say what goes on in the console forums. Maybe I just don't see it because it happens in the background, I'm happy to be proven wrong. Ultimately I don't see the need for moderation in these boards at all, unless it impinges on the reputation/feasibility of the site in some way.

Neeyik said:
The GD/RPSC boards are of the "lowest rank" in the B3D forums as far as I am concerned and any steps taken to reduce the amount of time I need to spend (away from working on site content) moderating them are totally justified.
Fair enough, that's your opinion. However my alternative solution is to not moderate instead of reducing who can and can't see / post in them.

mcsven said:
In what way have these boards not been 'open'? I can't remember them being closed in the way they are now since I've been a member. And how much moderation is performed in these forums? I see little, compared to say what goes on in the console forums. Maybe I just don't see it because it happens in the background, I'm happy to be proven wrong. Ultimately I don't see the need for moderation in these boards at all, unless it impinges on the reputation/feasibility of the site in some way.
Ah, I see what you meant by open now - I thought you were referring to posting rules, etc rather than posting rights. In that case then, yes you're right it hasn't been like that in the past and I don't think that any of the others every have either (with the console board being the likely exception), but as far as the RPSC board is concerned I suspect that it is always going to be treated differently to the others given how we feel about it (or rather, how we feel it's being used).

As for the moderation, yes it's not as "in your face" as that used in the console board but that's because probably a matter of moderating style more than anything else. All our boards will always be moderated because, since we wish for them to reflect the rest of the site to some degree, it would be rather naive to expect everyone to either comply with these wishes or even know about them in the first place - in other words, people will always need herding in some shape or form, no matter how experienced, mature or intelligent they are.

geo said:
I am told that the Great and Powerful Oz has heard the cries of the Junior Members to see RPSC . .

Somebody of that status please confirm/deny. . .

Still cannot see :cry: .

hmm I can read RPSC when logged in (although it's not 'listed' in the forum index), but not General Discussion.

When not logged in, I can read (and see listed) General Discussion, but not see nor read RPSC.

dZeus said:
hmm I can read RPSC when logged in (although it's not 'listed' in the forum index), but not General Discussion.

When not logged in, I can read (and see listed) General Discussion, but not see nor read RPSC.

I have the same problem!

I'll post this here since I don't think it deserves a new thread, but after this thread was locked I can't say I'm impressed with the way the new 'members only' RSPC board is working. What's the point of preventing the less senior members from posting if threads are going to be locked because senior members are making a mess? Up until the second page I was having a pretty well-manered and interesting discussion with geo. It was that way until about a day later when I returned to find some of the later posts deleted and the thread locked - with no explanation for either action. Surely just deleting the posts would be enough?

ditto on interesting and well-mannered up to that point where the deletions start. I saw those pre-deletion, and in fact reported two of them --which probably resulted in the deletions and the thread-locking. I'd certainly be happy to continue the discussion with you if some mod will reopen that thread.

Interesting 3D issues come and go. Most of the time, not much is happening except for the hard core members. While random posts from newbies might be irritating at times, you need some bread and butter on the board for when times are slow in the GPU sphere.

And some of those newbies who only post on the console or general forums at first (to be able to learn, and not be killed outright by the regulars due to lack of understanding in the technical forums) might turn out to be nice and valued contributors after a while.

Well, there is obviously going to be new managment hereabouts in the coming weeks, so I imagine there will be an opportunity to revist many issues (tho prolly not all at once).

geo said:
ditto on interesting and well-mannered up to that point where the deletions start. I saw those pre-deletion, and in fact reported two of them --which probably resulted in the deletions and the thread-locking. I'd certainly be happy to continue the discussion with you if some mod will reopen that thread.
I'm actually curious as to what I wrote that needed to be deleted. If I remember correctly, it was simply a refutation of the idea that 'only republicans are vile hatemongers' by having a recitation of public individuals that were on the other side of the aisle that engaged in hysterionics.

Oh well. :)

Well, Russ, call me a prude, but I don't find "STFU" as a concept improved by acronymizing it. ;) Which then lead to another member unacronymizing it in large font ("Oh yeah, well your mama too" kind of response). I reported both posts.

On the other hand, the mods seemed to agree, so apparently it wasn't just me who felt that way.

Edit: Meh, "prude" isn't really the right word --it's not much improved for debate by removing the "TF" either.

I suppose you're right.

It seemed appropriate at the time. :)

edit: though, after thinking on it, I don't see it as anything more than a more vulgar way to say "horsefeathers". Both are meant as dismissives. Vulgarity in general doesn't seem to be an issue on the board, sooooo....

Back