Guidelines for posting in off-topic forums

RussSchultz

Professional Malcontent
Veteran
Could we institute some sort of minimum posts required to post in the off-topic forums?

It seems there's a never ending stream of new people that show up in the political/general forums that have 0 posts (as measured by the forum) and never increase that number (which would suggest they're only participating in those off-topic forums).

The off-topic forums are a perk, and IMHO shouldn't be used as a sole reason to be here.

And yes, I realize I don't post much on the core forums. I'd be just fine with requiring a set amount of posts per year or whatnot.

What's an "off topic forum"? I know when a post is off-topic or when a thread goes off-topic but this is the first time I've heard of a whole forum that is "off topic" :???:

The general and politics forum are "off topic". I think the game and console fan forum is off topic also.

Oh, ok, I get it now.

It seems there's a never ending stream of new people that show up in the political/general forums that have 0 posts (as measured by the forum) and never increase that number (which would suggest they're only participating in those off-topic forums).
I'm soryy, but I don't understand why users that only ever post in those forums should be a problem to you.....?

digitalwanderer said:
Is it important that you understand? :-|
Huh?

All I asked was why Russ would take offence with the fact that many folks only ever post in those particular forums (and that's exactly what he said, based on his post/complaint). It looks to me that Russ seems offended by this fact and yet said he hasn't really been part of the "on topic forums" (as per his definition of what "on topic" is) either/anyway. So what's really his complaint?

I say that everybody should just love each other since there is no problem that can always be solved. Sometimes, the most irresistable force is the most mundane.

nintenho said:
I say that everybody should just love each other
You mean it's that simple?

I think everyone has a place in this world. I also think everyone has a place in this forum given that I trust the staff here knows why the fis forum exists the way it does. I suspect what Russ really meant is "If you don't post or know about 3D, then don't register here and only post in the non-3D-related forums".

Personally, I know the distinction between the site and its forum. I also think this site's staff know the distinction. I don't know why Russ is complaining unless he thinks he knows what this site's staff wants from this forum.

Nom De Guerre said:
You mean it's that simple?

I think everyone has a place in this world. I also think everyone has a place in this forum given that I trust the staff here knows why the fis forum exists the way it does. I suspect what Russ really meant is "If you don't post or know about 3D, then don't register here and only post in the non-3D-related forums".

Personally, I know the distinction between the site and its forum. I also think this site's staff know the distinction. I don't know why Russ is complaining unless he thinks he knows what this site's staff wants from this forum.
Yeah, you don't get the joke?

RussSchultz said:
Could we institute some sort of minimum posts required to post in the off-topic forums?......
Wouldn't that run the risk of people posting any old garbage in the "core" forums just to get their posts up to quota?

Simon F said:
Wouldn't that run the risk of people posting any old garbage in the "core" forums just to get their posts up to quota?
I would say a vague risk, but would people who don't ever post at all (either purely lurkers, or trolls that found the forum in some other manner) really go through the trouble to post even 50 inane posts simply to engage in a trolling effort?

Even a waiting period for posting priviledges would be enough to deter the roving trolls. It would also help alleviate the random spammers.

Anyways, just a thought.

Nom De Guerre said:
Personally, I know the distinction between the site and its forum. I also think this site's staff know the distinction.
No, actually my complaint is the never ending stream of conspiracy nuts and abusive jerks that go through the RSPC forum, show up with 0 posts, never contribute to the rest of the board, and then disappear when they get bored, only to be replaced with yet another troll. Or others that are 'invited' by somebody to shore up their arguments with volume..

I realise that I don't contribute much here either on the core forums

I don't know why Russ is complaining unless he thinks he knows what this site's staff wants from this forum.
Why do I have to presume to speak for the staff to make a suggestion for something that irritates me? If they're not interested, they'll ignore me or tell me to sod off.

Originally the non core forums were meant for core forum users to know each other better and discuss stuff not related to the website.
However it happens that it's no the case anymore, there have been discussions about finding a way to prevent anyone for accessing them directly (ie w/o using the core forums first).

I think making them invisible to users under a given membership level would be a good idea...

BTW they shouldn't even be mentionned in other parts of the site to avoid attracting undesirable users, and with users reputation it should be possible to get rid of people posting who would try to post junk in core forums to reach the "secret" non-core forums...

Ingenu said:
BTW they shouldn't even be mentionned in other parts of the site to avoid attracting undesirable users, and with users reputation it should be possible to get rid of people posting who would try to post junk in core forums to reach the "secret" non-core forums...

At that point one is initiated into the secrets of the Beyondi code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think some of those 0 post posters in RPSC are sock puppets, members posting under a different username so as to mask their identities/philosophies and keep their political infighting seperate from their core forum contributions.

I never went in for such myself, but I can see the reasoning behind it.

You guys make me very angry, you have troubled my oh so beloved routine.

I come in here to lurk like my usual self, only to find that the political forum is no longer accessible.

So you guys are going to have to convince me of the need to prevent people like me to lurk the off-topic lounge. Or am I just collateral damage?

RussSchultz said:
Could we institute some sort of minimum posts required to post in the off-topic forums?
It looks like they already did, as I couldn't view the offtopic forums this morning. I was only a couple posts under the "Member" theshold, so I went ahead and posted a couple times to cross the threshold. Guess I'll see if I can access it tomorrow morning.

I hope it's not limited to Senior Members and above, cause it took me almost 3 years to hit 100 posts. :)

Reactions: Geo
Back