GTA: Vice City Stories (new info)!!

A recap of information:

(from gta-portable)

The game takes place in 1984 - two years before GTA: Vice City
• Victor is a 28 year-old US Marine
Players can now take on the water of Vice City With jet ski's!
• The animations are more life-like and is a ''step-up from previous titles in the series''
• A multiplayer feature similar to the PSP version of LCS is in the game
VCS is ''much, much bigger than Vice City''
• Some landmarks are half-built or yet to be refurbished to their state circa 1986
• There's new or altered locations and buildings
• All new vehicles and weapons
You can fly helicopters!
• Radio stations from Vice City make a return
New weather effects (hurricanes,...)
You can swim in the game!
• Bikes handle better than before
• There's also no more seamless exterior-to-interior gameplay as seen in LCS (There'll be a slight loading time)
• A new addition in Vice City is the chunder-wheel, which you can ride in first-person view!
• Binoculars is in the game
• LCS is ''rookie first-gen PSP title compared to VCS''
Draw distance is great and is said to be better than Vice City on PS2
• Trip skips make a return (If you die or get busted a taxi will take you back to the location where you received the mission from)
• New animations which give both the lead characters and pedestrians a whole new degree of humanity
• Far richer color palette that brings sunsets to all new levels of beauty, and realism
• Increased density of pedestrians, cars and objects
• Reduction in clumping (where groups of the same model type appear together)
• Far more interiors that its predecessors

So who wants this game?

ME!!!:D

Well I'm a real GTA junkie, so I'm finding it extremely difficult to wait for this one. Not to mention Vice City was insanely great, and I thought LCS was very, very good. Not on par with Vice City, but close, and definitely one of the PSP titles to date.

So where mah screenshots at?!

EDIT: Well naturally had I, once again, bothered to use Google first, I'd stumbled across this: http://www.gtaportable.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe that they are putting swimming and helicoptor flying into this game. It's just a huge :oops: .

So is there going to be a GTA:SAS? I mean this game will be able to compete with San Andreas by itself.

mckmas8808 said:
So is there going to be a GTA:SAS? I mean this game will be able to compete with San Andreas by itself.

I imagine around the time GTA4 is released we'll see it.

Nice, Vice City is by far my favourite of the GTAs. Hope they dont overkill the Game with stats and add alot huge barren nothings for mapsize like they did with SA.

Not that I already own a PSP, but its already pretty hard to resist with games like Tekken, Syphon Filter and Daxter.

Npl said:
Nice, Vice City is by far my favourite of the GTAs. Hope they dont overkill the Game with stats and add alot huge barren nothings for mapsize like they did with SA..

SA had ALOT of content unlike a lot of other GTA wannabes. There size was very well used.

Bobbler said:
I imagine around the time GTA4 is released we'll see it.

Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest. Why would anybody buy a SAS game for the PSP, when a the first next-gen GTA the world will ever know comes out the same month.

I'm hoping for a 2008 GTA:SAS PSP game. I hope the find a way to make the PSP game a tiny bit smaller than the real San Andreas. Two years making SAS would make for a really great game.

Just look at what they are doing with one year worth of dev time. And having SAS in 2008 and getting a real GTA next-gen 2 game in 2009 would be a very nice stop gap. Seriously R* has a very very good. They can make money on the same franchise will selling that said franchise on two different generations/type of machines.

One on handhelds (which is revolved around the PS2 generation engine) and a next-gen version. They could technically pull an EA (i.e. Need for Speed), but make it exciting and very very useful.

mckmas8808 said:

I've heard from my sources that there will be. It might've been mentioned vaguely in some Take-Two press release too, not sure.

DUALDISASTER said:
None of this could be achieved without clocking the PSP to 333mhz, so can anyone tell me if Sony allows this?

How can you possibly know that for a fact? I'm hoping the clockspeed would be uncapped for good too, but the screenshots don't show anything remarkably different from LCS.

xmu said:
How can you possibly know that for a fact? I'm hoping the clockspeed would be uncapped for good too, but the screenshots don't show anything remarkably different from LCS.
Just by the simple fact that they are using more polygons. But then again i haven't seen any screens...where could i get them?

DUALDISASTER said:
Just by the simple fact that they are using more polygons. But then again i haven't seen any screens...where could i get them?

Well you ignore the possibility that the engine has been improved. And besides, we have no way of knowing how many polygons we're talking about. The only mention is that the draw distance has been improved, but there's loads of ways to achieve that.

For screenshots go to gtaportable.com like my first post suggests.

xmu said:
Well you ignore the possibility that the engine has been improved. And besides, we have no way of knowing how many polygons we're talking about. The only mention is that the draw distance has been improved, but there's loads of ways to achieve that.

"Increased density of pedestrians, cars and objects", "draw distance has been improved". L.O.D. only goes so far, but thanks, I'll check out the shots.

mckmas8808 said:
Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest. Why would anybody buy a SAS game for the PSP, when a the first next-gen GTA the world will ever know comes out the same month.

I wouldn't say it's a conflict of interest... generally it seems to be the prefered way to do things.

Why wouldn't someone buy the PSP game? Not only are GTA4 and GTA:SAS not the same game, but one is portable and one isn't -- they shouldn't be competing necessarily... they'd be complementary mostly. Marketing gets cheaper per product, since you can essentially market both in a single go (or awareness of one of the games can help awareness of the other).

Who knows though... I'd be surprised if there wasn't a fall/winter '07 PSP GTA. I do wonder what they'll do after that though -- port the GTA4 city to PSP engine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobbler said:
Who knows though... I'd be surprised if there wasn't a fall/winter '07 PSP GTA. I do wonder what they'll do after that though -- port the GTA4 city to PSP engine?

That's why I said it would be better for them to take a year off and maximize the power of the PSP and sell GTA:SAS in Fall 2007.

xmu said:
And besides, we have no way of knowing how many polygons we're talking about.

They said that Vice City Stories' world has more total polygons than Vice City for PS2. I think it's mostly due to the fact that VCS is just bigger than Vice City. They said that VCS is waaaay bigger than LCS.

nintenho said:
How do they do it?

The power of the PSP. And great programming. ;)

mckmas8808 said:
They said that Vice City Stories' world has more total polygons than Vice City for PS2. I think it's mostly due to the fact that VCS is just bigger than Vice City. They said that VCS is waaaay bigger than LCS.

But that doesn't necessarily relate to that many more polygons on-screen. But nevertheless, I'm keeping them fingers and toes crossed VCS would be the title to take the CPU cap off for good.

mckmas8808 said:
They said that Vice City Stories' world has more total polygons than Vice City for PS2. I think it's mostly due to the fact that VCS is just bigger than Vice City. They said that VCS is waaaay bigger than vice city.
As i read the article, it seems like VCS isn't much bigger. I think the person who wrote the article misinterpret the meaning.

Back