Grim Dawn

Game just released after being in early access for quite a while now. I originally wasn't planning on picking it up until I saw a youtuber give their impressions on it.

Glad I saw that as the game is a gem at an astonishingly low price. Currently there's also a 10% discount on Steam until Mar. 3rd.

Anyway, it's a game using a licensed version of old Titan's Quest engine with some massive modifications.

Combat feels more responsive than I remember Titan's Quest being. It also has similar character progression as Titan's Quest except with only 2 classes instead of 3. Synergies between classes are also simpler, and hopefully that means that unlike Titan's quest the synergies will actually work. :p

There's also another layer to character development in celestial signs, and that has some rather massive amounts of choices (you can get a max of 50 upgrade points in it and there are massively more than 50 choices to put points into).

Can't comment much on the story as I'm still barely into the first chapter having started 3 different characters now as I try to determine what I want my first character combination to be.

Still, something to check out if you liked Titan's Quest. Or if you are into ARPGs like Diablo, Torchlight, or Path of Exile.

Oh and there are also hidden secrets in the levels. As in caves that don't show up on the map with paths that go to them that don't appear on the map. It's a nice reward for exploration. Only drawback (at least to me) is that nothing is procedurally generated. Although some non-storyline cave entrances I've noticed can appear in random locations on a map, but will always appear on the same map.

Regards,
SB

Thanks a lot, didn't even know about this one! My wife and I just got back into D3 (always going back and forth as it's very satisfying) so I think we'll check it out. Really liking the dual-class, skill tree and devotions to really mix up your character and allow for constant progression in some form. Looks like it has something of everything as far as ARPGs go.

Been playing it the last few days. Fucking awesome game. Malo hit me up when you get it :)

Thanks a lot, didn't even know about this one! My wife and I just got back into D3 (always going back and forth as it's very satisfying) so I think we'll check it out. Really liking the dual-class, skill tree and devotions to really mix up your character and allow for constant progression in some form. Looks like it has something of everything as far as ARPGs go.

Yeah those devotions were a bit overwhelming (and still are to a degree) the first time I got some points and had to decide what to spend them on. :D Still it's a lot of nice options. And they are all seem pretty cool.

Got sidetracked by another game so I'm only at the start of Act 2. Almost done with the other game so I'm itching to get back into Grim Dawn.

Is there controller support?

Don't think so as there is no option for movement other than point and click which would be horrible with a controller.

Regards,
SB

Is there controller support?

OK, Just went in to configure a keybind and noticed that yeah there is controller support. It works somewhat well. Enables a lot of auto-aim though and has far more limited action slots (8 versus 12), but seems useable. I'm going to keep using keyboard and mouse since that's what I prefer, but looks like those of you that want to use a controller can. :)

Regards,
SB

Back