Gravity, when the feeling's gone and you can't go on, it's gravity

I just googled it, and unless the experiment can be repeated in vacuum, it doesn't say anything about gravity. A spinning ball will affect the way air flows around it.

If any effect exists, it's orders of magnitude lower than you claim. Here's a publication:
http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v63/i25/p2701_1
They got 1 part in 100,000 reduction in weight, but only for one direction of rotation, which really makes the findings suspect.

I didn't claim it's the be-all-end-all "truth", but definitely worth further researching. I guess it would be easy to repeat the experiment in a vacuum chamber, that shouldn't be a problem.

The same effect was observed during the launches of first satellites etc. by NASA using rotating solid fuel rockets, Von Braun even summoned some scientists with rather esoteric theories while trying to explain why the spin affected the altitude that produced the higher orbit than planned. Russians discovered the same problems and they even had no rotating parts in their rockets but the gyroscopes. Their first shot at the moon missed by a huge margin (it got there way earlier/faster than expected), the second try contained the corrections for gyroscopes and it hit the target dead-on. So as it seems both sides found the right way to compensate for the effects, but I have no idea what the exact problem or the fix looks like.

I didn't claim it's the be-all-end-all "truth", but definitely worth further researching. I guess it would be easy to repeat the experiment in a vacuum chamber, that shouldn't be a problem.

The same effect was observed during the launches of first satellites etc. by NASA using rotating solid fuel rockets,
Er, well, there is no conceivable way that those rockets could have been rotating anywhere close to fast enough for the rotation to have a gravitational effect.

I can't imagine NASA launched any rockets that rotated more than the slightest bit, as rotation would fuck with the gyros of the inertial guidance system. Also, rotating rocket = rotating satellite, meaning you'd have a seriously spinning cargo once you get up into space, and that's also not very practical.

Xxx, got any souce links for your claims on rotating rockets? :)

Also, rotating rocket = rotating satellite, meaning you'd have a seriously spinning cargo once you get up into space, and that's also not very practical.

That depends on the payload. For many missions having the payload spin is all part of the design. Usually this is spin-up is achieved after it separates from the launcher though.

Fair enough, but surely the payload doesn't spin at several tens of thousands of RPM or more? :p
I would expect relativistic spinning to be required, actually, for such low-mass objects to produce a measurable effect. That would be about 3MHz rotation rate for a 1 meter radius object to get to 1% of the speed of light at its surface, or 180 million RPM's.

Perhaps the effect could be detected before you get to those high of rotations, but I doubt you could do better than a couple of magnitude slower rotation.

I would expect relativistic spinning to be required, actually, for such low-mass objects to produce a measurable effect. That would be about 3MHz rotation rate for a 1 meter radius object to get to 1% of the speed of light at its surface, or 180 million RPM's.
To put that in perspective, a penny welded to the circumference of this object would have a centripetal force of almost a trillion Newtons. That's the weight of 400 Sears Towers. Adamantium flywheels FTW!

I think they shot the rockets out of a rifled barrel to make them more accurate, right?

LOL! These types of threads are always amusing.

I've had similar discussions with laymen friends who also claimed "You can't explain to me why <insert ridiculous gadget/device/tech> won't work, so you're 'opinion' isn't any more correct than mine." But in reality, I was not able to explain why they were wrong *in a way they could understand*. Some (most?) discussions require both parties to have some basic education/understanding of how things work, or it's not worth the effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they shot the rockets out of a rifled barrel to make them more accurate, right?
If it's unguided missiles then that might be the case (like, WWII->1950s era weapons tech), but if there's a guidance system onboard then rotation would most likely only complicate matters...

If it's unguided missiles then that might be the case (like, WWII->1950s era weapons tech), but if there's a guidance system onboard then rotation would most likely only complicate matters...

That depends, some guided missiles do rotate, like the TOW and the RAM SAM missile. Can't say I know why exactly, as like you said, intuitively that seems to add a fair bit more complexity to the guidance.

That depends, some guided missiles do rotate, like the TOW and the RAM SAM missile. Can't say I know why exactly, as like you said, intuitively that seems to add a fair bit more complexity to the guidance.
Well, it definitely does add complexity, but if it's got software and processing power up to the task, it might potentially lead to better total accuracy.

Er, well, there is no conceivable way that those rockets could have been rotating anywhere close to fast enough for the rotation to have a gravitational effect.

How fast is fast enough then? And does size (mass) matter here?

Grall: no links at the moment, but it's all just speculation anyway. The only sure fact is that the rockets (both the mentioned US launches as well as the first russian shot at the moon) reached way higher altitudes than expected and it seems like it was somehow related to spinning/rotating parts, since liquid fuel rockets with no rotating parts had no such problems.

EDIT: here's a link I found in google, with the description of the anomaly but also with loads of crazy interpretation and esoteric beliefs in there: http://www.enterprisemission.com/Von_Braun.htm

(it mentions the spinning balls experiment in there as well in "Part II")

Rotation is required for solid fuel rockets because of mass imbalance, not the precision issues. Liquid fuel rockets don't require rotation.

It's rather the imbalance in mass decrease rate I guess, but I'm not a rocket expert and not sure how it really works. All I know is that the solid fuel rockets need the rotation.

Back