Graphical effects that are standard by now but shouldn't

The perfect post 10/10 (The tone is a bit aggressive, and I have removed one useless word, but IMO it's meant to display the emotion behind the words) :

These are the ones which upset me, and I curse a thousand times the names of developers who don't understand why these are such bad decisions:

1) Chromatic Aberration. Are you fucking kidding me? Camera makers have been trying to eliminate this effect for centuries because it looks bad, and Mr Developer comes along and thinks "oh trololol its more cinematic and immersive to emulate looking at the game through a 1970s camera". No, it's not. It's ugly and it gives me a headache, and I can't understand who in their right mind thinks it looks good to begin with.

2) Excessive motion blur - see Final Fantasy Type 0. Since many games are already clunking along at 30fps there's a degree of motion blur present every time a camera pans, why would you make this worse? Why? I'm trying to look at detail and you've hidden it in a mire. Please stop.

3) Over zealous AA solutions - FXAA for example. This can be summarised as "We don't want people to post how the jaggies literally cut their eyeballs, so we covered your screen in vaseline. Hope that's ok." Long procession of overly soft images which make it hard to pick out detail and stops some graphics from really 'popping' like they could do.

4) Depth of Field - another on the list of insidious crimes against visual clarity. Sit in your room, and look at something close. It is in focus. Now look at something on the far wall, odds are if you have good eyesight this is also in focus. Now look at a game with bad DoF like the unpatched version of Dynasty Warriors 8. The background is never in focus, it can't be because focus does not adjust to where you are looking - that's why this effect is so broken and non-immersive. The Order tried to get this right and in places it worked, but in others you'd sit behind perfectly focused cover while trying to work out what you needed to aim at in a sea of blur. You need retina tracking to get this right, in the end it's better to just use the GPU cycles elsewhere.

5) Film grain - another thing cinema has been trying to eliminate, for decades in fact. On newer BR restorations they try to reduce the grain as much as possible. Emulating it is stupid and needless.

These 5 cover my main gripes with modern graphics, and sadly they're becoming more common, especially the worst ones. I'm sure it looked great on paper and in screenshots but please spare a fucking thought for your customers who will sit there for hours straight having to pick detail out of environments to play the game properly.

At least make it optional. Optional makes everyone happy, and with such invasive effects it needs to happen more in console games, Alien Isolation let you turn off the grain for example and it looked better for it.

I don't think we'll get rid of chromatic aberration anytime soon. The contamination has spread even to anime:

uB56xno.png

The perfect post 10/10 (The tone is a bit aggressive, and I have removed one useless word, but IMO it's meant to display the emotion behind the words) :
I would like to add one: 30 fps because "it feels more cinematic" :)

Photographers and videographers are putting huge amount of money to lenses that are manufactured (special nano coatings) to eliminate CA and other lens aberrations. Even more money is spent to reduce the grain (the quality of a sensor is measured mainly by the amount of grain).

Shallow depth of field on the other hand is worth big bucks (all the most expensive lenses have very wide apertures = shallow DOF). Focus is one of the key techniques in grabbing the attention and telling a story (both in still photos and in movies). Unfortunately games are interactive, and that makes focus based narrative challenging to do properly. If the director cannot control the viewer, it is not going to work. People get annoyed if they want to look somewhere and they cannot because of the blur. Best directors (and photographers) are experts in controlling the viewers eye movement. Focus trickery is challenging in games because you don't have full control about the composition of the image. My personal experience about photography is that I spend most of my time in fine tuning the image edges ensuring that the viewer doesn't find anything interesting there (this of course includes Photoshopping things away from the edges if the perfect composition needs it).

Another problem in DOF algorithms used in games is the unstability and limited blur kernel size. The blur NEEDS to be stable and smooth in order to draw as little attention as possible. It's sole function is to force the viewer to focus elsewehere (the important part of the scene). Games usually do not achieve this well because of the performance considerations. This draws attention to the blurred regions = adds frustration.

Last edited:
I would like to add one: 30 fps because "it feels more cinematic" :)

Photographers and videographers are putting huge amount of money to lenses that are manufactured (special nano coatings) to eliminate CA and other lens aberrations. Even more money is spent to reduce the grain (the quality of a sensor is measured mainly by the amount of grain).

Shallow depth of field on the other hand is worth big bucks (all the most expensive lenses have very wide apertures = shallow DOF). Focus is one of the key techniques in grabbing the attention and telling a story (both in still photos and in movies). Unfortunately games are interactive, and that makes focus based narrative challenging to do properly. If the director cannot control the viewer, it is not going to work. People get annoyed if they want to look somewhere and they cannot because of the blur. Best directors (and photographers) are experts in controlling the viewers eye movement. Focus trickery is challenging in games because you don't have full control about the composition of the image. My personal experience about photography is that I spend most of my time in fine tuning the image edges ensuring that the viewer doesn't find anything interesting there (this of course includes Photoshopping things away from the edges if the perfect composition needs it).

Another problem in DOF algorithms used in games is the unstability and limited blur kernel size. The blur NEEDS to be stable and smooth in order to draw as little attention as possible. It's sole function is to force the viewer to focus elsewehere (the important part of the scene). Games usually do not achieve this well because of the performance considerations. This draws attention to the blurred regions = adds frustration.

I agree fully about the 30fps, but there is some truth in that because effects like chromatic aberration have existed unintentionally in the past, it makes sense in games like Alien: Isolation to recreate that 80s movie feel, for instance.

As for focus/depth of field, Uncharted did a great job there, doing so only when aiming somewhere and then bringing the focus just there. Quite brilliant imho. They also only use blur when the camera moves really fast (or at least they did that in the first one, not sure actually if they kept it)

I don't think we'll get rid of chromatic aberration anytime soon. The contamination has spread even to anime:
Aw.... you should use spoiler tag or something.... I'm going to watch that later when I'm back from work and now I know it's going to feature CA....
Anyway, I don't mind these effects as long as it isn't overdone. I remember playing a game where any camera movement (slow or fast) produce MB... that's annoying. CA that's uniformly applied also annoying, especially if it is very strong.

Has the fad of screen-obliterating god-rays cooled off?
Fake screen space god rays have cooled off. Better implementations that ray march the shadow maps and collect light source in-scatter (according to air aerosol/particle density) are on rise. These techniques produce very nice realistic results.

@L. Scofield what anime was that? looks like something from KyoAni and they already uses (subtle and heavy) CA since long time ago. Its like their style. But their implementation never looks migraine-inducing like on video games (i hate you Crysis 3 CA, thankfully it can be disabled).

btw does the distortion square uses on FF XV is also CA? its not the usual red-fringe / double image. Its more like a fringe that you will normally see in object edges in photographs. It also changes colour according to ToD and sun.

i totally prefer that than the more popular red-fringe CA.

@L. Scofield what anime was that? looks like something from KyoAni and they already uses (subtle and heavy) CA since long time ago. Its like their style. But their implementation never looks migraine-inducing like on video games (i hate you Crysis 3 CA, thankfully it can be disabled).
It's a new one from them called Hibike! Euphonium. It helps that the effect is used only in a few shots.

btw does the distortion square uses on FF XV is also CA? its not the usual red-fringe / double image. Its more like a fringe that you will normally see in object edges in photographs. It also changes colour according to ToD and sun.

i totally prefer that than the more popular red-fringe CA.
Pictures?

look at the mountain range edge

tgOyJoQ.jpg

XPOeLft.jpg

its also appears on closer objects (look at the tree branch, its subtle but its there and on these peoples)
XEvP6Zd.jpg

4jUGIn0.jpg

I agree with the filmic effects and their demise.. DoF is fine AS LONG AS its kept to cameras that are out of the control of the player. Player controlled camera DoF doesn't work on a flat fixed plane imo (display) since your eyes aren't doing the focusing.

I just want specular aliasing to go away. I looks terrible and its still everywhere.

Meh, instead of enhancing effects no one (except B3D nerds) sees a difference, devs should bother about the basics: antialiasing. Get rid of the effing shimmering that plague nearly all games out there...e.g. Bloodborne, I am looking at you!

All the enhancement we get in graphics get destroyed by right in your face aliasing.

Although it is unpopular here in this thread, but whatever RAD did with their AA solution should be investigated by other devs as well....

Meh, instead of enhancing effects no one (except B3D nerds) sees a difference, devs should bother about the basics: antialiasing. Get rid of the effing shimmering that plague nearly all games out there...e.g. Bloodborne, I am looking at you!

All the enhancement we get in graphics get destroyed by right in your face aliasing.

Although it is unpopular here in this thread, but whatever RAD did with their AA solution should be investigated by other devs as well....
AA certainly is important for image quality and BB would look lovely with some temporal AA.

Getting proper balance on image stability seems hard as many people do not like the slight blur that is needed. (Page 23. .PPTX)
I wonder if a option to select the reconstruction/resolve filter in options would be a good idea. (Something like in Gran Tourismo 5&6)

Rad seems to have MSAA with temporal + custom resolve and they render specular with something like this.
A survey of nonlinear prefiltering methods for efficient and accurate surface shading. Visualization and Computer Graphics

Here is more details on their pipeline.
http://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/s2013-shading-course/rad/s2013_pbs_rad_notes.pdf

Last edited:
look at the mountain range edge

tgOyJoQ.jpg

XPOeLft.jpg

its also appears on closer objects (look at the tree branch, its subtle but its there and on these peoples)
XEvP6Zd.jpg

4jUGIn0.jpg

I don't see anything resembling CA in any of the above shots.

Anyway, I think no effect should ever become a standard, and no effect should ever be outlawed completely either. That kind of thinking is just bollocks and I'm glad no dev with as much as a hint of visionary thinking is gonna give a single shit.

see the mountain range edge. There some "ringing" of color. So the change from mountain to sky is not harsh/sterile.
But its not "double image" like CA.

Cqu5Jt4.jpg

i dont know what is it called as. But it makes the game have objects that "blends" together without CA's headache/double image.

That is not CA. That's just bloom. Maybe with a little bit of DoF thrown in. It's a little too much if photorealism is what you're after, but then FFXV clearly isn't. I think it looks quite striking, especially the way it's shining through the characters' hair.

Last edited:
Back