Graphical effects that are standard by now but shouldn't

Sarcasm? Its meant to look like a 1930s-40s cartoon you would see at a theatre.
In the latest Game informer they have an article where they explain how they pull of the look. It involves 5 screen filters. 1 chromatic aberration pass, 1 blur pass and 3 passes for random dust, scratches, stains and hair. I agree that over blurring is a bad thing in 3d games that are going for realism. Chromatic aberration has its place if used at a minimum during certain effects. Lords of the fallen is a terrible example of use of the effect. That doesn't mean these effects have no place in modern games.
I'm not 70 years old so I didn't experience those awful color aberrations in movie theaters. I think however that it looks too clean noise/scratch-wise.

There's plenty of 30's and 40's cartoons on dvd and bluray. It's a fair reference to match.

There wasn't a huge amount of noise or scatches, outside of badly preserved sources that couldn't be restored with modern techniques, CA however was a flaw of the optics of the time, so is the soft corners, and so is the weird color gamut and contrast. They may or may not alter all these in the restoration, but the really severe scratches we sometimes associate with very old films have nothing to do with the original. For animation they had plenty of exposure so the film sensitivity could be lower with finer grain, hence cleaner and less noise than, say, a Charlie Chaplin film.

9.) Destiny (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3; Activision Blizzard) heavy motion blur, heavy CA, heavy DOF

Hmm actually Destiny is a remarkably clean good looking game with clean, high IQ in actual gameplay. You must be speaking of a cutscene (the opening one, which is about .000000000000000000001% of time in this game), and the post mission rewards screen yes has arbitrary CA, but it's just a static menu type page.

Hmm actually Destiny is a remarkably clean good looking game with clean, high IQ in actual gameplay. You must be speaking of a cutscene (the opening one, which is about .000000000000000000001% of time in this game), and the post mission rewards screen yes has arbitrary CA, but it's just a static menu type page.
"Clean" is somewhat subjective, but Destiny definitely has plenty of DoF and some CA during gameplay. The CA is constant, the DoF shows up during ADS.

There's plenty of 30's and 40's cartoons on dvd and bluray. It's a fair reference to match.

There wasn't a huge amount of noise or scatches, outside of badly preserved sources that couldn't be restored with modern techniques, CA however was a flaw of the optics of the time, so is the soft corners, and so is the weird color gamut and contrast. They may or may not alter all these in the restoration, but the really severe scratches we sometimes associate with very old films have nothing to do with the original. For animation they had plenty of exposure so the film sensitivity could be lower with finer grain, hence cleaner and less noise than, say, a Charlie Chaplin film.
It's weird to me because most people, at least today, associate old animation with heavy noise and scratches, which this game lacks, but not with extreme chromatic aberration it has in spades.

I tried to use the Lens Correction feature in Photoshop to remove the CA like I did with TO image but the result was null. Seems like they just offset the color channels uniformly, not like a real lens would.

I'm not 70 years old so I didn't experience those awful color aberrations in movie theaters. I think however that it looks too clean noise/scratch-wise.
I'm not 70 years old either. I was born in 1980. Still I have seen many cartoons that were made in this time period on cable TV.
Felix the cat is an example as well as early Mickey Mouse. My point was that these various filters allow the title to look like a hand drawn toon from the early 1900s.

I'm not 70 years old either. I was born in 1980. Still I have seen many cartoons that were made in this time period on cable TV.
Felix the cat is an example as well as early Mickey Mouse. My point was that these various filters allow the title to look like a hand drawn toon from the early 1900s.
Oh I've seen old animation as well, but none of that has had these extreme levels of chromatic aberration. It almost looks like footage for anaglyph 3D.

Oh I've seen old animation as well, but none of that has had these extreme levels of chromatic aberration. It almost looks like footage for anaglyph 3D.
Early color movies and cartoons used various tricks to produce a color picture from black and white film. These chromatic effects were a side effect. Here is an article that explains the various techniques used in early color films and cartoons.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_motion_picture_film

If I can add, I think Disney was special and they were using a proprietary system that was essentially three separate monochrome taken in sequence (that wouldn't be possible for real-time filming), but I don't think any other cartoon studios at the time had access to that, I'm not sure.

The Technicolor process IV was a really complex tri-strips and used a beam-splitter to split the color, it was the standard from 1932 to 1953. We can imagine the alignment issues.

http://zauberklang.ch/filmcolors/timeline-entry/1301/
It is obvious that pin-registering, i.e. the fine adjustment of the three records on top of each other, was crucial to deliver a sharp image without any color fringing.

I have to agree that it's a successful use of CA in Cuphead. Even if most restorations we see today are correcting the alignment, it's still a nice artistic touch.

Last edited:
Early color movies and cartoons used various tricks to produce a color picture from black and white film. These chromatic effects were a side effect. Here is an article that explains the various techniques used in early color films and cartoons.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_motion_picture_film
Well, in the animation examples MrFox has provided (http://zauberklang.ch/filmcolors/timeline-entry/1301/) there are none that exhibit the massive amount of chromatic aberration that the game does.

As long as you're playing games on your TV, the experience is always going to be closest to watching a movie or a TV show; so it makes all kinds of sense to aim for similar imagery. DOf and MB and such should certainly be included; CA however is not such a simple case as all photographers are actually trying to get rid of it. Still, it can help a lot if it's subtle enough, by removing the all too perfect CG look.

The game changer here should be VR, as it's aiming for a very different experience, removing the camera and trying to recreate human vision instead.

As long as you're playing games on your TV, the experience is always going to be closest to watching a movie or a TV show; so it makes all kinds of sense to aim for similar imagery. DOf and MB and such should certainly be included; CA however is not such a simple case as all photographers are actually trying to get rid of it. Still, it can help a lot if it's subtle enough, by removing the all too perfect CG look.

The game changer here should be VR, as it's aiming for a very different experience, removing the camera and trying to recreate human vision instead.

But what if I play on the same monitor where I do deadly serious, truly professional and pixel perfect CAD work?

Shouldn't I deserve the most boring realistic experience then?

Now you're arguing just for argument's sake :)

Lots of people also watch movies and TV shows on a normal computer or maybe even on laptops or tablets. But console gaming in particular is for TVs and so the devs should look at TV and movie material for reference.

Could we plot the "ballpark" cost in ms for each effect in both XO/PS4 + a medium PC GPU. Main reason is to help discussions on trade-offs in frame rate and resolution.

A recent and very similar thread that this one has appeared on Neogaf::Graphical effects that make a game look WORSE

Very interesting because Neogaf can be viewed as a community of hardcore gamers so statistically relevant among the "true" gamers, I have selected effects only if at least mentioned 2 times in the first page (50 posts):

Motion blur (11 hateful posts):
I really dislike motion blur. I remember the first time I played the halo reach beta and thought there was something wrong with my tv. Very jarring to play with, though eventually i adapted, I'd still prefer playing without it enabled...This is what I was going to say. I feel like I'm getting eyestrain/headaches every time I turn the camera in FF Type-0 HD...I hate motion blur. It has a big effect on performance and it just looks worse...Motion blur. It is often implemented horribly to hide blemishes....I have never liked Motion Blur, but I don't find it intrusive. Then I played Final Fantasy Type-0 HD. The awful camera coupled with the ridiculous motion blur literally gives me a serious headache...Motion Blur, DoF and Chromatic Aberration need to die immediately...Does Motion Blur counts? Dont understand why games have it...etc.

Chromatic aberration (11 hateful posts):
Destiny (and lots of other games nowadays): chromatic aberration. I honestly don't understand how this is supposed to be appealing. It's supposed to simulate a FAULT of lenses where they don't bring all wavelengths of light into focus at the same spot...Right. I hate hate hate it...etc.

Film grain (6 posts):
Seriously, why does that even exist?...Film grain, imo. Turn it off if the option is available...

Bloom: (6 posts)
Too much bloom lighting. Wind Waker HD looks like shit compared to the GC version...

Color desaturation (3 posts)

FXAA (2 posts)

DOF (2 posts)

With only the first page of 50 posts we have already 2 big winners: Motion blur and Chromatic aberration. Unsurprisingly those 2 effects mainly cause an unwanted blur on the screen. What should be not surprising is the high level of hate many people express about those 2 effects.

Was there so much hate on previous consoles when the majority of games shipped without motion blur and without Chromatic aberration? the answer is NO. Did people make hateful threads to ask for the inclusion of motion blur on GTA5, the Batman serie or in Metal Gear games particularly in Ground zeroes? NO.

Do people make numerous hateful threads (or posts) about the unwanted presence of motion blur and chromatic aberration in current games, YES.

Are those effects standard in the console videogames industry? YES.

Last edited:
What's a piss filter? All I can think of is something that would make piss drinkable but that's probably not what is being discussed here.

It's just a pejorative way of referencing the (arguably overused) color tinting filters (frequently amber or yellow) that were present in so many games.

The only thing I can say in mild defense of the "hated" effects is: in the Crysis series, I feel that chromatic aberration actually has a place, since the entire time you're playing is purportedly behind a high tech fancy helmeted face screen thing. Everywhere else? Nope.

What's a piss filter
Blame Deadly Ninja for the name
a color filter over the camera so they can have that pretentious sepia tone-ish look. - thanks to swaaye for the explanation
p3FknXJ.jpg

Back