Gran Turismo 7 [PS4, PS5]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Any idea why it doesn't look real? Due to the way the game looks too perfect / clinical / clean / sharp?

There isn't really any racing game where the graphics look real all the time, but I think GT7 gets the closest depending on lighting condition, and of course everything breaks down in still image scrutiny.

granturismo7_20220306w5knc.jpg

pP1HxTn.jpg

granturismor7_20220629qiov.jpg

Reactions: snc
The in game scenes would have looked like a lot more real if the environments felt alive. And by saying this, I mean adding elements of atmosphere, movement and population, time and more physics.

Example of atmosphere:
1661413310791.png

The further to the distance the more dusty it looks and there is the element of heat haze. Thats the element of atmosphere.
The element of time is how dust and tire tracks has been collected on the circuit. Certain areas like edges collect more dust than others. There is a huge variability on how dirt, tire tracks, particles are "displayed" in real life. There is no repetition.
This gives the impression of time/movement/change as an always stale/clean road feels dead. It communicates the passage of time. If this element is dynamic (i.e getting dirtier as you race or wind carrying dust) it adds even more aliveness.
This is one of the many reasons that dynamic rainy tracks feel more real.
We need more subtle physics of particles and grass moving or flying and laying on the track as the cars come into contact.
We need more subtle physics movement on the cars. In real life racers the smallest bump on the road surface adds to the car movement.
In games the car's feel like they are gliding. Also small parts on cars need their own physics.
We also need to populate the world with more humans and non human elements that have independent motion.
Trees need more motion from wind and be realistically affected by different wind strengths.

We got the car models, the lighting, the textures and the materials in general but they need an additional layer of dynamic elements or at least touches that imply those dynamic elements

The in game scenes would have looked like a lot more real if the environments felt alive. And by saying this, I mean adding elements of atmosphere, movement and population, time and more physics.

Example of atmosphere:
View attachment 6801

The further to the distance the more dusty it looks and there is the element of heat haze. Thats the element of atmosphere.
The element of time is how dust has been collected on the track. Certain areas like edges collect more dust than others.
This gives the impression of time/movement/change as an always stale/clean road feels dead. It communicates the passage of time. If this element is dynamic (i.e getting dirtier as you race or wind carrying dust) it adds even more aliveness.
This is one of the many reasons that dynamic rainy tracks feel more real.
We need more subtle physics of particles and grass moving or flying and laying on the track as the cars come into contact.
We need more subtle physics movement on the cars. In real life racers the smallest bump on the road surface adds to the car movement.
In games the car's feel like they are gliding. Also small parts on cars need their own physics.
We also need to populate the world with more humans and non human elements that have independent motion.
Trees need more motion from wind and be realistically affected by different wind strengths.

We got the car models, the lighting, the textures and the materials in general but they need an additional layer of dynamic elements or at least touches that imply those dynamic elements

i thinnk you nailed it! yeah the "atmosphere" stuff seems lacking, making the game looks "clinical" despite it should be already realistic looking.

EDIT:
i wonder whether this is also why the moon landing looks fake AF.

Any idea why it doesn't look real? Due to the way the game looks too perfect / clinical / clean / sharp?
It has to do with consistency. It’s one of the reasons we need to advance to RTRT lighting and GI. The challenge is baked is cheap and incredible looking, at the right angle is identical to RTRT. But when it’s not the right setup it falls apart and you notice it.

This is some of the reason why people don’t see a huge jump moving to RTRT; most of the screenshots and clips are when baked is at its best, not when it’s at its worst. RTRT is there to elevate the weak areas that baked cannot. Give it time and these consistency mistakes will lessen, but RTGI is needed.

The car is a lot of fun to drive. :D

Also something I never knew. When you watch a replay in the passenger view, when a player looks back or to the side(car passing), the driver actually looks into the mirror to look back or to the side to see a car passing. LOL! The realism is cool.

Cool little feature but driving holding one hand on wheel is quite risky, be more careful next time ! :D

GT7 nominated for Game Awards 2022 in best sport/racing and audio design categories

Have they fixed the weird / random understeer / oversteer problem that was present, idk, months ago ? I saw a lot of posts about this, I noticed it myself with random frustrating behavior sometime.

Have they fixed the weird / random understeer / oversteer problem that was present, idk, months ago ? I saw a lot of posts about this, I noticed it myself with random frustrating behavior sometime.
In mr cars ? Yes, months ago, dont remember exactly when.

Back