Gotta get me one of these flashlights!

If that's the neighborhood you're living in. . . . move.

I send the wife out into the woods for her walks with a 1920s .32 revolver that was her dad's. . . .in case a wolf cares to say hello since we hear them howling at night sometimes. But a machine gun? Uh, no.

Just tryin' to make it decide there must be an easier meal somewhere else. . . .

It's very rare that wolves even dare to approach humans, much less attack an adult humans and when they do it tends to involve rabies.

I'd worry about ticks, mosquitos, stumbling on something in the dark and the usual rabies transmitters(e.g. racoons) long before I'd worry about wolves.

It's very rare that wolves even dare to approach humans, much less attack an adult humans and when they do it tends to involve rabies.

I'd worry about ticks, mosquitos, stumbling on something in the dark and the usual rabies transmitters(e.g. racoons) long before I'd worry about wolves.

Oh, we have more racoons than you can shake a stick at here. And having seen how many shots it takes to kill one with a .22, I think a .32 would be much preferred if one was being aggressive.

You mean fleshlights? :D

(sorry, couldn't resist - been thinking about them each and every time I see this thread pop up)

I think mountain lions are more willing to hunt solitary humans than your description lets on. Its not just the ones that are 'starving' because humanity is encroaching upon their normal hunting grounds.

I think mountain lions are more willing to hunt solitary humans than your description lets on. Its not just the ones that are 'starving' because humanity is encroaching upon their normal hunting grounds.
Well, mountain lions can end up with scarce food for other reasons than simply human incursion. The fact remains that we are not part of their normal diet, and they usually prefer other sources of food. That said, mountain lion attacks are common enough in certain parts of the US that regardless of the reasons, people hiking in those areas should definitely take precautions.

It seems to be extremely rare for any animal to attack humans unless you provoke them or behave very sickly and as an easy prey. As long as you behave like you own the place, you should be fine.

The exceptions are small and poisonous animals, but there again not provoking them seems to be the ticket.

It seems to be extremely rare for any animal to attack humans unless you provoke them or behave very sickly and as an easy prey. As long as you behave like you own the place, you should be fine.

The exceptions are small and poisonous animals, but there again not provoking them seems to be the ticket.

It's my right as an American to kill anything that moves.

Go look at the history of mountain lion attacks in California.

Or grizzly bears, for that matter.

yes, most animals don't treat humans as prey, but not all. To many at the top of the food chain, we're just another piece of meat.

But anyways...

It's my right as an American to kill anything that moves.

LMAO!

On topic though, in BC the grizzly bears are known almost always attack if you get in between a mother and her young. Might be the same with the lions. Then again though in Canada we never ever take guns. Bear spray is just as effective

Go look at the history of mountain lion attacks in California.

Or grizzly bears, for that matter.

yes, most animals don't treat humans as prey, but not all. To many at the top of the food chain, we're just another piece of meat.

But anyways...

Russ you know generally that isn't true right?

Not saying people don't get attacked, in fact it is becoming far more common as animals are habituated to people, and their habitat is diminished, but it was pretty rare b/c we dont fit their prey image.

No, it 'generally is true' that most animals don't consider us prey, but that some do.

You can romanticize wild animals all you want and think that they know their place in the world, but the fact of the matter is, they're simply wild animals that survive on eating lesser animals. Any that think they can get away with eating us will give it a go.

That doesn't mean they seek humans out, but when you're in 'their' territory, you end up playing by their rules. That means don't be stupid, don't surprise them, but be aware and don't get surprised yourself. And certainly don't think you can 'look a cougar in the eyes and be assured it won't eat you'.

Especially on ladies night.

Back