Gotta get me one of these flashlights!

Well, no, Russ, they still don't consider us as prey most of the time. Every once in a while you get one that does, and that's usually because it's starving.

It seems to be extremely rare for any animal to attack humans unless you provoke them or behave very sickly and as an easy prey.
Just be wary of a full grown male red kangaroo. They aren't after you as prey (unless you are wearing a grass coat I guess) but they can be aggressive.

Oh and, apparently, some tourists have been known to ignore these signs, but the "locals" won't care what you are wearing.

Do Koalas attack humans? They seem kinda badass and they do have big, sharp claws.
So you've heard of "Drop Bears" then? These are rabid koalas which go quite mad and, given the size of their claws, are quite dangerous though, thankfully, are very rare.

So you've heard of "Drop Bears" then? These are rabid koalas which go quite mad and, given the size of their claws, are quite dangerous though, thankfully, are very rare.

Nope, never heard of it but, goddamnit, is there anything in Australia that DOESN'T kill you?

"Oh, lookie, a cute Koala!" *ripsyourthroatout*

So, I should expand my statement with: "unless they're totally starving and think they can get away with it"? I think that covers about anything.

Even sharks and alligators seem to attack humans mostly because our swimming makes them think we're sick or wounded (trashing the water). And you can drive them away by fighting back.

Even sharks and alligators seem to attack humans mostly because our swimming makes them think we're sick or wounded (trashing the water). And you can drive them away by fighting back.
I don't know about alligators or other sharks, but from what I understand great whites tend to mistake us for seals, and back off once they realize we don't taste like seals. But the "tasting bite" is often enough to kill, so that doesn't really help us much.

So, I should expand my statement with: "unless they're totally starving and think they can get away with it"? I think that covers about anything.

Yeah, all animals recognize us as king of the food chain and bow in deference.

Yeah, all animals recognize us as king of the food chain and bow in deference.
Perhaps Frank could demonstrate this by taking a swim in the Mary river in the Northern Territory. I doubt a 4m salty would spit him out for not tasting like a barramundi .:devilish:

It's not scientific evidence but it's Shark Week on Discovery Channel and on the Mythbusters one of the myths was playing dead vs thrashing around in the water when around sharks. Every time thrashing around attracted way more attention from the sharks than playing dead.

As for other animals: Depending on where they are at and for how long humans have been moving into their land animals would likely just leave you alone unless that got a sense you are a easy meal. I would think humans are thought of being very big by even larger animals (such as big cats) as we walk up right and are often six feet tall. Not to mention they've never seen us and so why take the risk?

Somewhat apropos, its 'shark week' on Discovery, and they had a 'test' to see if a tiger shark liked 'kicking' prey, or 'still' prey.

They had a diver manequin that was rigged up to 'swim' (and bathed in chum). The sharks didn't touch him, even after 45 minutes, when it was swimming. they turned off the swimming, and by the time 20 minutes had passed, the sharks had drug him down the bottom, and tore off all of his limbs. They didn't stop when they got a taste of wetsuit, either.

edit: I didn't see your post before posting. Interesting that they came to opposite conclusions.

Well their testing on the play dead vs thrashing was done with both subjects in the water at the same time, which I'm going to guess messed with the results significantly and that's why Mythbusters is fun to watch but far from scientific fact.

Well their testing on the play dead vs thrashing was done with both subjects in the water at the same time, which I'm going to guess messed with the results significantly and that's why Mythbusters is fun to watch but far from scientific fact.
It seems to me that one could follow the advice of both programs. If you are alone, keep swimming hard, else if with some "nearly recently deceased" friends, let them do all the thrashing about!

Back