Got my RAAAPPTTOOORRRR MUAHAHAHAA!!

Haha, no it's too much bother. My system is set up this way now, I don't plan on changing it.

Just think logically about it, you'll see why I am right. ;) Just make sure the swapfile is the first file you put on the drive, that way it ends up right at the outer edge where disc accesses are the fastest, and there's no fragmentation in it either.

RIIIIGGHHHTTT

I used the seagate util (thanks 2 who posted it). Its copied everything across but I am still booting from my old disk and disbling the old disk in the bios does not cause me to boot from the new disk...

Im sure its just a small setting change/disk op left to do now :?

Well I used to have my swap file on a slower seek time raid-0 setup and I also 'felt' the difference after bringing it back to my raptor :p

Guden Oden said:
Seeking within the swap file isn't as big an issue as seeking back and forth between the data area and the swap area of the same harddrive.

I am not sure that your scenario of swapping between data areas of a hard-disk and the swap-file occurs very often. However, I can tell you that the vast majority of cases involves swapping between main memory and the swap file i.e during games. As such having the swap file on the faster seek time raptor 'feels' faster.

Dave B(TotalVR) said:
I used the seagate util (thanks 2 who posted it). Its copied everything across but I am still booting from my old disk and disbling the old disk in the bios does not cause me to boot from the new disk...

Many of those utilities do not completely replicate all boot sector information. What exactly is the error you get when you try to boot from the new disk?

trinibwoy said:
Many of those utilities do not completely replicate all boot sector information. What exactly is the error you get when you try to boot from the new disk?

The Seagate one should if you tell it you are making a new boot disk. For a SATA boot disk, you often have to choose a "boot from SATA" option somewhere in the BIOS.

Basically, I disable my old disk in the bios and leave the SATA drive to boot as the first device it tries to boot from CD, then my lan card tries to boot from the network and fails again and again and again

Dave B(TotalVR) said:
Basically, I disable my old disk in the bios and leave the SATA drive to boot as the first device it tries to boot from CD, then my lan card tries to boot from the network and fails again and again and again

As mentioned above make sure you have an option enabled in the BIOS to boot from SATA. If it still fails then the drive copy failed to carry over boot sector info.

I think I have the solution, there is a bios update for my motherboard that has version notes which contains things like 'fixes boot from SATA drive when a PATA drive is present':D

so now I must boot from a disk and run the update.:?

Now if only my floppy drive worked :devilish:

Can I do a bios update in safe mode? :rolleyes:

Dave B(TotalVR) said:
I think I have the solution, there is a bios update for my motherboard that has version notes which contains things like 'fixes boot from SATA drive when a PATA drive is present':D

so now I must boot from a disk and run the update.:?

Now if only my floppy drive worked :devilish:

Can I do a bios update in safe mode? :rolleyes:

I've done it before, but you need a true safe mode command line. You might be better spending $10 replacing the floppy drive.

The alternative is to look and see if your motherboard maker has a windows BIOS updater. Updating BIOSes in Windows makes me nervous, but lots of people have done it with no problems. After all, that's why they make the programs.

LoL!

Well the bios update worked but some stupid munchkin decided to play with his new memory timing options and now his system wont POST.. now where is that jumper switch..... o_O o_O

Back