Google is making a videogame console.

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
I think if Apple or Google were really serious about the TV space they would simply produced a smartTV OS and give it to manufacturers with the ideal of splitting the profits generated by the app and game stores with the manufacturers.
Google have done that. Twice. They developed a platform called GoogleTV and persuaded TV manufacturers to build TVs based upon it, then when it failed to gain any traction they abandoned it. So Google developed a second version of the platform, persuaded TV manufacturers build TVs and Logitech to make accessories based on it and then - and this will shock you - when it failed to gain any traction, Google abandoned it.

I think Google have burned their bridges with TV manufacturers.

Google have done that. Twice. They developed a platform called GoogleTV and persuaded TV manufacturers to build TVs based upon it, then when it failed to gain any traction they abandoned it. So Google developed a second version of the platform, persuaded TV manufacturers build TVs and Logitech to make accessories based on it and then - and this will shock you - when it failed to gain any traction, Google abandoned it.

I think Google have burned their bridges with TV manufacturers.

I think the problem that initially sunk google TV's ship was it lackluster start. It had no app market, was blacklisted by a lot of the major broadcasters and had a less than stellar UI.

Major broadcaster are less cantankerous now and more accepting of internet based setbox like models now. So a solid UI with manufacturers partaking in revenue generated by the app store and advertising model would go a long way in convincing manufacturers to come back.

An important point here is a dongle can be replaced. TVs can have, by accounts, lousy FW support and interfaces. Something like Fire TV or Android TV can be updated and, if the device is abandoned, replaced with a better device for a very low price. Integrated smart TVs are basically a dumb a idea, like all in one TV+DVDs.

I don't believe that assertion.

Many of those that have a problem with a TV-DVD form factor have no problem with DVD drives, cameras, keyboards and whatever else intergrated together with their displays when it comes to their PCs.

When you begin to look at why that disconnect exists, you can kind of see whats problematic with the TV space.

Definitely "TV" is a complicated market there are TV and the various boxes around it (often provided by ISP). Lots of ISPs (here in France but I suspect the same applies elsewhere) are unwilling to give up on their in house efforts for their OS, boxes, I guess they see it as a mean of differentiation (a bit like the custom UI on Android), or they are still delusional about the odd of them capturing revenues through their in-house streaming services... The issue may also be on the customer side, they may not comprehend that TV or part of their ISP offering could rely on different compatible hardware, etc. ISP Boxes are usually not refreshed, their performances suck, etc. it is a pretty terrible experience overall yet I can see how that it be tough for ISP to say theirs customers we provide you with the network and matching router then how you connect your TV and access content (standard TV or not) is your own business.
TV is still a refuge for the less tech savy people around, lots of the users never wander around the remote key that are not numbers, or volume keys. Users are only one part of the issue, the whole idea behind TV is a goner already though the whole ecosystem resists the transition. People have yet to realize that what they want is not TV but displays. Words have their importance, if tomorrow Best Buy were no longer to sell TVs but displays or monitors I think that it would a long way in easing salespeople speech, TV comes with a lot of conception that are antiquated and obsolete. People even non tech savy understand the point of a better/easier OS, or faster hardware, etc. The word TV clashes with the reality behind modern media consumption.

Last edited:
Back