Google Earth

When it was first mentioned I tried to download it, but they'd put a block on fresh downloads. It is pretty neat, though the satellite imagery is pretty poor in most areas (same imagery as Google Maps I think). I know for sure that better imagery is available for the UK ('cos I've got it!).

Wasn't there a similar app from NASA about a year ago?

The satellite pics for my neck of the woods aren't great, with little close-up detail, so I've consigned it to the curiosity pile for the time being. Nice to have a gander at things like St Peter's Basillica and Buckingham Palace from above, in an easy to use app though.

What has impressed me the most is the ease with which you can add information. The flick network link I mentioned basically means that when you are looking at an area it will go and check for photos taken in that area based upon location tags that people have added in flickr.

Similarly you can easily overlay other data. Such as weather/cloud coverage, traffic information. I have created an overlay of some mountain bike routes in wales by simply specifying a link to an existing online map, and some position information and that map now gets overlaid on the terrain in the correct place.

I think the potential for this thing is huge. The detail may be a bit poor for many places at the moment, but they are (apparantly) improving it.

CC

Back