Google Chrome

That's like complaining to Volkswagon that you can't get one of their Beetle's up a hill with 75 clowns in the car.

Only 2GB. but this time, I've learnt to click on nameless menu then Exit, before it is too late. Chromium then comes back with the same tabs but using half the memory. In Firefox, I added a "restart browser" extension to do this easily.

75 tabs isn't all that much if doing serious research with cross referencing. I typically have more than 200-300 tabs open at a time.

Granted, I'm sure most people don't need or have that many open. But I have certainly seen 50-100 tabs open for average people.

Regards,
SB

I generally find that if I get to 30, that's about my limit. It's really easy to open a lot of tabs, but I also close them again. I use the feature that keeps the tabs after closing, and having too many tabs slows down opening the browser later again too much.

Usually serious research is being done at work and given that most companies would prefer to give their employees slow computers with 2-4 GB of RAM, I cannot imagine what exactly happens with 300 open tabs. Do you need 16 GB RAM?

Bookmarks for me would potentially slow down the flow of information. I only bookmark important hubs or information I may need to refer to long term.

Tabs are for reference, cross reference, short term information, etc. You should have seen how things got messy in the old days. A combination of open windows (40-50) along with a mass of bookmark folder that constantly had to be updated. I think I spent almost more time updating and cleaning bookmarks as I did doing relevant research (slight exaggeration :)).

Tabs brought in a whole new paradigm of research and information management. It took a bit to get used to but the flow of information is much smoother now. Now I typically have 3-5 windows, each with a varying amount of tabs. Drag and dropping of links and tabs makes managing the information significantly easier than bookmarks.

Regards,
SB

You guys should try using browsing sessions..

Always found them useful for research. Work in opera, but should for other browsers i hope.

I have an extension for that in Firefox, but the UI is cumbersome (you need to access a too deeply nested menu in a weird place) : Session Manager. It allows a more reliable backup of the tabs (even if someone else of myself closes windows or a Firefox update wipes the tabs)

I hoped to do something like you do, maybe it will get better.

Session management actually sounds quite efficient, thanks for the tip.

Interesting, I've been doing something similar to that if I needed to reboot the machine (rare) in the middle of doing research. But in my case with IE, that means ending process on the root IE process which basically saves the state of all tabs/windows and then next time I open IE, I just have to click the crash button to reopen everything.

I'd give Firefox a try, but I've not heard anything good about Firefox + lots of tabs.

Regards,
SB

Interesting, I've been doing something similar to that if I needed to reboot the machine (rare) in the middle of doing research. But in my case with IE, that means ending process on the root IE process which basically saves the state of all tabs/windows and then next time I open IE, I just have to click the crash button to reopen everything.

I'd give Firefox a try, but I've not heard anything good about Firefox + lots of tabs.

In my experience, Firefox has gotten really good in that regard.
Since I'm rather memory constrained at the moment (lots of memory-intensive development tools on a 32bit machine) FF is my primary alternative for "browser research" scenarios (i.e. dozens of open tabs in several windows), since IE + Chrome start swapping out far earlier.

Maybe I'll take a look at it at some point if I ever have enough free time. :) My backlog of games just keeps growing and growing and growing due to not enough time. :)

Regards,
SB

how do you change the homepage its not in settings--advanced
a tutorial said click on the wrench icon but there isnt one just a cog

how do you change the homepage its not in settings--advanced
a tutorial said click on the wrench icon but there isnt one just a cog

It is needless complicated on Chrome. I believe they don't want people to be able to change the homepage and thus they make it really obtuse how to do it.

You have to go into Settings. From there you have 2 options you have to change.

First change "On Startup" to "open a specific page" and then set that page. But that does dick for new tabs that you open. For that you have to put a checkmark into "Show Home Button" and only then will you be able to change the page that opens when you open a new tab.

For supposedly trying to make it easier for users, they've gone through a LOT of trouble to hide something so basic.

I have to say that the pop up blocker in Chrome sucks donkey balls as well. It does dick all to prevent pop-ups. Another reason that I'll never ever use Chrome as my main browser. It works great as a secondary browser though.

And sorry for the language, but I just get so peeved about such simple functionality being totally borked or made needlessly complex.

Regards,
SB

I installed Midori (version 0.4.3) as a "tertiary" browser, so if I need to conserve memory I can exit my bloated, out of control Firefox or Chrome session and still have something if I want to access forums/mail/banking etc.

It has a few quirks but it beats using elinks or dillo. I got the idea from people using Midori (it's a webkit browser) and LXDE on raspberry pi.
I needed something like this btw, as I'm beginning to do some gaming again (Steam linux) I can't really have a 1.5GB browser in the background every time.
The other solution is to upgrade mobo and have 8GB memory, which I will end up doing eventually (found a nice mobo model, and a friend has 4x2GB ddr3)

For a reason, typing killall -9 chromium-browser in a terminal kills all the tab but keep the browser windows open. This peeved me when I wanted to close the browser weeks ago but I've realised I could use it to my advantage!

All tabs are instantly turned into "sad tabs" but their position, title, URL are all preserved and my RAM and swap are almost entirely freed instantly.
On Windows you could probably do the same with a taskkill /F /IM command.

I personally too much like Chrome due to followings reasons.
Voice Search.
Better Keyboard.
Ability To Open Unlimited Tabs.
Swiping Between Tabs Looks Really Cool.
Search And Surf Using Omnibox.
Ability To Sync With Other Devices.
Private Browsing With Incognito.

GC drawbacks in comparison to IE- uses more memory and charges more processor time. IE offers much smoother pages scrolling and lower overall youtube video play processor usage.
GC- not suitable for laptop usage and battery life and endurance.

So, I switch to IE, with using GC only for facebooking and if I notice something where IE is not behaving as expected.

Back