Google Chrome goes SLOW?

Mize

3dfx Fan
Legend
Been using Chrome for months now as my default browser on a Macbook pro and, a week or so back, it became very slow. At first I thought it was a firewall or router or something, but then I fired up Firefox and it's running circles around Chrome (for the first time ever).

Anyone else notice this behavior?

Haven't had that problem on my mac at home, but I've had problems with it at work on XP. Seems like if I open a lot of tabs, sometimes switching tabs is really really slow. You can watch the page draw over a period of about 10 seconds when switching tabs. Seems to happen randomly.

Haven't had that problem on my mac at home, but I've had problems with it at work on XP. Seems like if I open a lot of tabs, sometimes switching tabs is really really slow. You can watch the page draw over a period of about 10 seconds when switching tabs. Seems to happen randomly.

It's a separate thread per tab, right? So maybe it gets slow with a lot of tabs. I never get more than 20 tabs personally so I have no experience with this. Chrome is still my fastest browser so far in every day use.

It's a separate thread per tab, right? So maybe it gets slow with a lot of tabs. I never get more than 20 tabs personally so I have no experience with this. Chrome is still my fastest browser so far in every day use.

Yeah, each tab is its own process. I think if I have about 10 tabs open, eventually one of them will get dog slow. Not sure why. Usually it's something heavier like a tab for google reader. Maybe it's a memory leak. I don't know.

This is with a single tab. It happens even with the web interface to my firewall so it's not network related. It does not happen with Firefox at all. It doesn't seem to be a problem with my W7-64 machine so this is only the OS X version.

Have you installed any extensions? If that's the case, try disabling them to narrow down the problem.

Deleted Chrome from Applications and removing the Library files in my user directory didn't help...upon reinstall Chrome is still dog slow. Both FF and Safari are lightning fast. Strange.

Is it only Apples that experience this?

I only use Chrome veery sparsely myself so I haven't noticed anything on my Win(tel i)7 box.

I have only seen it on OS X 10.6.4. I have tested W7-64 and OS X 10.5.8 and seen no problems. Actually I was using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS last night and didn't notice any issues either.

I'm running Chrome on 10.6.4 with no slowdowns or other abnormal behaviour to report. Try playing with the DNS pre-fetching, to see if on or off helps. I see that you deleted your prefs in the user directory, and that's the only recommendation I could find.

I'm running Chrome on 10.6.4 with no slowdowns or other abnormal behaviour to report. Try playing with the DNS pre-fetching, to see if on or off helps. I see that you deleted your prefs in the user directory, and that's the only recommendation I could find.

Tried that. Strange situation eh? At least I have two functioning browsers. Not sure what else could be causing problems. I have NOD32 but disabled that with no change either. Maybe the latest Safari update had sabotaged Chrome ;)

Oh, and I do run IE on OS X under VirtualBox when I need to. Bootcamp for games.

I swear the slowdown is only a week old...there were some apple updates around that time too...

Back