Proof for the most use cases mobile speed is good enuf

Discussion in 'Mobile Industry' started by zed, Jul 9, 2021.

1. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

I just found this funny

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...-phones-after-launch-to-improve-battery-life/

In a whole raft of common Apps eg google chrome,facebook,instagram,messaging etc (i.e. prolly 99% of what ppl do on their phones) for months performance was running at ~25% of what it was capable of, yet noone noticed :lol:

Ever since my nexus 4 from nearly a decade ago, I get a new phone, I dont notice any speed difference. Yet the manufacturers always tout the greatly improve CPU/GPU (*) To me its of zero importance (and apparently to nearly everyone else)
    Of course on desktop I would notice a 75% drop in CPU.

Its siilar to a couple of months ago on my PC I replaced my Lan internet cable out the back, with wifi (one less cable on the floor was worth the price of missing something that can not be noticed unless you benchmark it) or years ago I got the offer to upgrade my internet from 10mb/s to 100mb/s at the same cost (though I refused as 1 day downtime, perhaps more == not worth it)

(*)I dont game on the mobile, if I did then I expect it would be somewhat important (the most popular mobile games dont seem to be particular CPU/GPU heavy)

swaaye and iroboto like this.
  2. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Wait... you refused 10x internet speed at the same cost because you didn't want to lose your connection for a day or so?

London Geezer, Florin and BRiT like this.
  3. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

yes, I never once, literally not a single time in that house, thought I wish it could have quicker internet access (4 years ago). Sure perhaps if I was in a family household with a lot of devices then prolly then it was worth it. I dont really download large files, I could image if I was downloading 50gb game files then it would be worth it.
    Just tested my wifi DL 84mb/s UL 80 mb/s I suppose if I go back to LAN cable it may be quicker.
    Compare it to like someone offering to upgrade your cars top speed from 200 km/hr to 300 km/hr at no extra cost but the car will be out of action for a day or so. If you never actually have driven at 200 km/hr (I think 160 km/hr is the fastest Ive gone) then what point is having 300 km/hr, so theres null benefit but having the car out of action is a measurable deficit.

4. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Manufacturer also understand this, thus the ridiculous amounts of cameras on new phones.

And you are right. For gaming the performance boost per year is still good. Although unfortunately most manufacturers didn't fit their phones with proper cooling. Thus the phone only can runs fast in the first 30-60 minutes.

But most phone games are played for less than 60 minutes..

5. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I bought my current phone (Moto G) for its 5000 mAh battery and low price. It does also have 3 cameras. The main one is decent, the wide angle is usable and pretty cool in good light but the macro is a joke.

My previous Pixel 1 was only lasting a few hours of use in the end. Horrible battery longevity there and of course a bitch to replacet the battery.

I feel like the speed problems were mostly solved once we got 4GB RAM and EMMC that isn't terrible.

#5 swaaye, Jul 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  6. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

From my experience as long as the internal storage use UFS 2.0 at minimum, it's already fast enough. As for memory, it's really weird. Some brands seems more efficient than others.

But the rule of the thumb is that android is more memory hungry than windows because most brands disabled memory swap

7. swaaye

Legend

I think my cheap Moto G Power has EMMC that performs noticeably better than the UFS thing in the original Pixel.

Android definitely has curious multitasking behavior.

8. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

Pixel is a weird phone. It's slow despite it seems to not have bloat wares. Maybe Google deliberately makes it slow to prolong battery life as the battery is pretty small.

swaaye likes this.
  9. JoeJ

Veteran Newcomer

Anyone knows how much TF we can expect from current day phone GPUs? Chip specs never tell.

10. Svensk Viking

Regular

I'm still using the Nexus 7 2013 and I don't use it for more than browsing and watching films either, but back during October or thereabout, I started noticing that it had become slow.

11. Entropy

Veteran

As far as I can see, cell phones today need to be replaced due to either of three causes.
    1. Accident.
    2. Gradual failure of an effectively non-replaceable battery.
    3. Lack of hardware support for codecs that gradually permeate the industry.
    (And an honorary fourth - software bloat.)

It may be that you are seeing the effect of number 3 on the list.

Otherwise I’d suggest you ad-block to avoid heavier ad-loads and block all tracking, or you’ll drag a heavy anchor of trackers behind you in your browsing.

#11 Entropy, Jul 23, 2021 at 8:55 AM
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021 at 9:00 AM
  12. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

its android, it loves to accumulate cruf over the years. a factory reset will make it fast again. unless the flash memory is already heavily detroriating, in that case, new phone.

13. swaaye

Legend

I think Android will run Trim periodically if it's on a charger while powered on for a period of time. It's a bit mysterious. My devices tend to have lots of free space and that helps too.