Good gamepad?

AlphaWolf said:
The console has a built in receiver. I am not sure how it could communicate with the PC.
Ah, thanks. I thought it was a wireless USB connection and couldn't understand why it wouldn't work. :oops:

My favorite is a USB to SNES adapter, but at $20 for the adapter and then finding a SNES pad if you don't have one it's not a great option.

Now my SNES pads are connected to the real SNES, and I'm not playing a lot of console style games on the PC anyways.

I'm just not sure what to look for in a pad, it's been so long. :oops:

I'm looking to get a wireless pad so I can game in my living room on my TV, I'm gonna just run some long hard-wires from my PC to the TV. (DVI & sound)

Must get wireless keyboard and mouse....

OT question: Does anybody know if it is possible to rename the button names under XP? I have a XBox 360 controller connected to my PC and in Pop:WW the buttons are listed as BTN1, BTN2, etc. Would be much nicer if I could rename them to X, Y, etc.

digitalwanderer said:
Must get wireless keyboard and mouse....

But then look for something with good range. The only viable option is one of the newer Logitech Bluetooth combos with ~8m max range, everything else won't give you more than 2-3m.

N00b said:
OT question: Does anybody know if it is possible to rename the button names under XP? I have a XBox 360 controller connected to my PC and in Pop:WW the buttons are listed as BTN1, BTN2, etc. Would be much nicer if I could rename them to X, Y, etc.

Not that I know, I also had that problem with NFS:MW and X-wing Alliance when I was configuring it. What I ended up with was going to Control Panel > Game Controllers > Properties and taking note which button on the controller is reported by windows as what button number.

digitalwanderer said:
I was just gonna pick up one of those converter-thingies from Radio Shack and steal one of my kids wireless Gamecube controllers. :oops:
from what i've read that won't work. every GC->USB converter i've ever seen only works with 1st party wired controllers. no 3rd party ones at all, and not the wavebird either. it's been a year or 2 since i looked into it, though. there was a technical reason for it, too, but i can't remember it.

PS2->USB connectors work flawlessly, though. i highly recomend them. radio shack has them for $11. if you already have a PS2 controller it's a cheap solution and you get a nice, high quality controller. i have a plethora of playstaion controllers, including wheels, dance pads, and fishing controllers, and they all work with the radio shack adapters.

Ok, I got it yesterday. The size and form is very much like the PS2 controller, but a bit more comfortable since the edges are a bit more rounded. Everything feels just perfect, except for the vibration which is a tad weak. The range is great, I was some 5-6 meters away and it all worked without any lag or whatever glitches. You can also switch between the left analog and the digital pad anytime. Needs only 2 batteries, so the weight is also not an issue. All buttons are neatly numbered as well.

Now I only need some gamepad training (never used them extensively), I'll be playing Rayman 3 and Bloodrayne on my HTPC :D

if you like old-school mindless beat-em ups pick up the teenage mutant ninja turtles games for PC. not only are they pure oldschool action with modern cell shader graphics, but they are also dirt cheap. my local EB had a copy of the first one for $4.99 and the second for $9.99. i picked them up to use with my HTPC and arcade stick.

on the topic of gamepads, i recently held (but diddn't actualy play games with) this shadow the hedghog controller. i was pleasently surprised how comfortable it was, and the shoulder buttons are like the GC's, with lots of range of motion, but no click at the end. i'm seriously considering picking on up to use on my PC.

I got the x360 controller, looks great and is quite good for playing SNES games. ( I didn't play yet some stuff making use of the analog sticks or triggers though :))

Back